Sutil 0 0%
Kubica 2 1.48%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 Oct 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2773120)   #51
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Do you think Alonso could have won a race with Renault this year? A bit off-topic, but I've thought there have been a few occasions where he could have. I suppose it depends whether Kubica is putting that thing as high up the field as it can go.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2773124)   #52
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its hard to say, I certainly rank Kubica above Trulli and Glock. I think Alonso would have had higher chances of winning with the 2009 Toyota than with the 2010 Renault
Old 11 Oct 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2773136)   #53
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Dan Selby said though, sometimes the Toyota was nowhere. Whereas the Renault has been quick everywhere this year (in Kubica's hands).
Old 11 Oct 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2773146)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
They had the best car on Bahrain for example. It was just that Trulli and Glock werent that talented.
Don't think so, the team messed up on strategy on that one. Glock had the car on the podium at least a couple of times when it probably shouldn't have been and that drive in Malyasia was sensational even if he did make an opportunistic choice of tyres.

That guy is criminally wasted in the Virgin and most people know it. Kobayashi got his chance due to Glock being 'rested' if the Kobayashi made the car go that well in the last 2 races of last year, I have no doubt Glock would have been able to do the same. They're both racers after all.

AS someone mentioned recently, (maybe Selby?) Timo did lots of runs last year on full tanks and got good results through that and making tyres last, which is exactly what the drivers have to do now anyway.

Having said that Timo made a right meal of dealing with Yamamoto yesterday didn't he?
Old 11 Oct 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2773159)   #55
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
They had the best car on Bahrain for example. It was just that Trulli and Glock werent that talented. I always said that if Alonso had gone to Toyota he would have won multiple races with them
That's a little unfair. Trulli and Glock were [still are] very talented. There's miniscule differences between drivers in F1, its almost all down to the car. Put Trulli or Glock in a Red Bull and they'd probably have been first or second yesterday. Put them in a Lotus or Virgin and they're seconds off the pace. I think few would disagree that either left anything on the table with the Toyotas last year.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2773162)   #56
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post

2 votes for Kubica? haha

I have to say that leaves me seriously puzzled?????
Old 11 Oct 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2773164)   #57
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, toyotas managment seems to be of another opinion, as they decided to not renew the contract of any of their drivers after the season ended. How much of that was politics is hard to know.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2773169)   #58
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Well, toyotas managment seems to be of another opinion, as they decided to not renew the contract of any of their drivers after the season ended. How much of that was politics is hard to know.
They withdrew at the end of the season, so who knows what their driver plans were. They had Glock on the books for 2 years and Trulli since 2004, so they must have had some respect for them.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 15:13 (Ref:2773173)   #59
Wims
Veteran

Norway
No, I seem to remember them giving their drivers the boot after the season ended, then the Toyota brass pulled the plug on the team way later than that.

EDIT: reference
http://www.autosport.com/subs/login....=news&id=79078. There was similar talk about Trulli. Managment were not happy with their incompetent drivers

EDIT2: Apparently hotlinking those articles does not work, so I made a collage, for your enjoyment!

Last edited by Wims; 11 Oct 2010 at 15:27.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 15:32 (Ref:2773186)   #60
davyboy
Veteran

I think its fair to say that there was a lot more going on below the surface there in view of what we now know about the team's demise.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2773249)   #61
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Lewis, until stopped with more problems. Kobayashi? maybe wrong, always thought a top racer being a drver who proceeded at the fastest pace over a given distance, obtaining from and exhibiting 100% car control at 10/10ths without causing immedeate danger to those around him. Sorry just can not see the kamikasi pilot in that league. Ever.
You and I must have been watching different races! Kobayashi was firm but fair in his overtaking - and very "racey" which is what I like to see.

In the previous two Grand Prix Hamilton has had two crashes which finished his races - on Sunday Kobayashi managed his passes without ruining his chances of finishing or running anyone else off the track - despite the best efforts of some other drivers I could mention (Alguersuari?).
Old 11 Oct 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2773267)   #62
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kobayashi for a storming drive mainly without incident.
Vettel comes second for just keeping his head together.
Schumacher third for one of his best drives of the season.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 22:49 (Ref:2773468)   #63
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Schumacher third for one of his best drives of the season.
Yes, he was actually right up on the tail of his team-mate at one point. Really impressive.

Meanwhile, full marks to Kobashibashi. I think his only contact with another car was when Alguersuari lost the plot. I thought the move on Alguersuari was beautiful, and he left JA enough room, which is just the way it should be. If Lulu had given Wobbler that much room a fortnight ago he would have finished the race.

Koba was also party to the other mega-move of the race when he got nuked by Hamilton going into the first corner.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 23:35 (Ref:2773490)   #64
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Really impressive.
It seems strange to say that about TGF, but I guess it's a comeback, so kudos to him.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2773504)   #65
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
It seems strange to say that about TGF, but I guess it's a comeback, so kudos to him.
I can pretty much assure you that was sarcasm. I gather TrapezeArtist was pointing out that Schumacher being almost but not quite on Rosberg's level was not some huge cause for celebration.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2773564)   #66
Neil22
Veteran

United States
Nor Cal
Neil22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis for me, fifth with a bad tranny is superb.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2773626)   #67
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kobayashi - great drive at the money end of the season in front of the home crowd. 10 outta 10.

Surprised to see any votes for Kubica and Webber - some people taking the mickey?

Note about Hamilton, good job staying calm and bringing the car home - only lost one position when g'box shat 3rd.

And is that the second race in a row that K-man has put on a overtaking display? His technique is like a hawk diving down to snatch a field mouse!

Last edited by Splatz the Cow; 12 Oct 2010 at 07:40. Reason: Remembered something...
Old 12 Oct 2010, 09:28 (Ref:2773677)   #68
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I can pretty much assure you that was sarcasm. I gather TrapezeArtist was pointing out that Schumacher being almost but not quite on Rosberg's level was not some huge cause for celebration.
You know me well!
Old 12 Oct 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2773720)   #69
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I went for Kobayashi, for being the only driver to provide much in the way of excitement (apart from those who crashed). Some days those moves don't work and we'd be saying he's an idiot for messing it up, but it's hardly fair to knock him for being determined to get as far up the field as possible and making his moves stick.

Honourable mentions go to Hamilton, who was looking in great shape for a good result until the gearbox gremlins struck, and Kovalainen, who we never really saw but who actually had pretty good pace and could have even had a point had the cards fallen his way. TGF also had a decent race, but that's decent by his own poor standards this year, so I'm not sure whether that's really saying very much.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 12 Oct 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2773801)   #70
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
You know me well!
That was a taste of my own venom !
Old 12 Oct 2010, 19:53 (Ref:2773979)   #71
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Dirty air? Pah

Kobayashi made a little bit of a mockery of the idea that you can't overtake.

The move on Buemi had me wincing a bit at first, but he kept it under control. And then he subsequently demonstrated lovely execution of his moves. Excellent car control, a racer's spirit and solid pace- Kobayashi is a man of the future.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 22:35 (Ref:2774065)   #72
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Hamilton and Kobayashi are the only drivers willing to take risks. That is my opinion. People label Hamilton 'immature' because he takes risks. That's just false IMO. I'd rather see someone try to pass than sit there and play follow the leader. Hamilton had Webber beat in Singapore, Webber is known to do this type of thing, he did it earlier in the year I think at Australia! He just didn't want to heed his position. Hamilton was ALL the way on the outside, close to the curbing. If you go over the curbing the pass could be nullified. So what was wrong with his pass? Webber didn't want to heed the position! Besides all that Kobayashi is the driver of the race. I think he overtook more people in his drive than the rest of the field combined. He had hamilton pass him, but he was in a far less of car, and on older tires. But once he got back on new tires, those softs, he came to life!
Old 13 Oct 2010, 07:56 (Ref:2774196)   #73
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Kobayashi made a little bit of a mockery of the idea that you can't overtake.

The move on Buemi had me wincing a bit at first, but he kept it under control. And then he subsequently demonstrated lovely execution of his moves. Excellent car control, a racer's spirit and solid pace- Kobayashi is a man of the future.
F1 would be a better place with a grid of Kobayashi's...

I couldn't agree more with that opening line. I think it's just more of a case of "willing to risk" it? Basically as TF110 just said

Selby
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2774219)   #74
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I'm with TF110 here too - I'd rather have a grid full of 'racers' than a grid full of 'waiting for the pit stop to sneak a place-ers'.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2774230)   #75
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
F1 would be a better place with a grid of Kobayashi's...
Yep, agree too. He's a real breath of fresh air... performances like Sunday are reminiscent of Senna in the Toleman.