Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 Aug 2014, 15:04 (Ref:3443480)   #1
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rounds 19,20,21 Knockhill 2014

In 11 days time the BTCC make the only trip to Scotland and i wonder how many cars will make the long trip north. there is a reason why i think this, turn 1 could see a bit of action if its the full 31 car grid
Old 11 Aug 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3443482)   #2
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
wonder how many cars will make the long trip north.
simple answer ALL cos Gow will strip them of their TOCA license otherwise
Old 11 Aug 2014, 15:27 (Ref:3443484)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
In theory, they should all go under terms of their new contracts / licence. It will be interesting to see whether any wriggle out of it.

Turkington will get a 8 place grid drop, on a circuit where he dominated last year. If it was not for that, I would have put my mortgage on him running away with race 1 and 2. From 8th or lower, it's not going to be plain sailing, and he will be in amongst plenty of drivers who have nothing much to lose and will not be afraid of swapping paint.

Perhaps this will be Collard's chance for a win or two - that is assuming that the BMW is as good or better than it was here last time.

Of course Sheddon should perform well in his backyard, and may get the chance to close the gap to Turkington. How about Adam Morgan? He looks quick, but lack of straight line speed has hurt him this season. Maybe this track will suit his Merc?

Is Andrew Jordan going to be fit to race?
Old 11 Aug 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3443488)   #4
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AJ will be fit to race. Why else would he have said a few days after Snetterton that he now has nothing to lose in the title fight, and will be going at 100% (and perhaps even moving from light taps to the full Plato on some drivers) just because being consistent and racking up points will result in him remaining in 4th.

My bet is that Collard won't win, because he's starting from the very back of the grid.
Old 11 Aug 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3443517)   #5
skells22
Veteran

i miss counted the number of days to this race. its 13 days not 11.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 11:18 (Ref:3443656)   #6
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
My bet is that Collard won't win, because he's starting from the very back of the grid.
Aha. Missed that.

Rob Austin then...
Old 12 Aug 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3443681)   #7
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its easy prediction ,James Cole, Robb Holland,Dan Welch for the race wins .

The rest will crash out , oops sorry re wind that !

It will be the same boys at the top, the same at the bottom , the only thing that will change is the action because there will be so much more !, brilliant year so far for the current top ten in the championship , how else can you judge a seasons talent .)
Old 12 Aug 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3443689)   #8
KleisJ
Rookie

Greece
Athens, Greece
KleisJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this track friendly to the MGs? Could Plato do something good there?
Old 12 Aug 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3443695)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I predict Turkington will have a bad weekend here through incidents. The MG's aren't suited here. The Honda's may go well here though.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3444336)   #10
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Aha. Missed that.

Rob Austin then...
You may laugh, but he claimed pole here last year...
Old 15 Aug 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3444476)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I predict Turkington will have a bad weekend here through incidents. The MG's aren't suited here. The Honda's may go well here though.
This will be a Honda weekend. I think Andrew Jordan will probably do quite well. Turkington's priority should be to keep out of trouble and bag as many points as he can. Plato will be out all guns blazing but Knockhill's not great for the MGs.
Old 15 Aug 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3444493)   #12
skells22
Veteran

I wonder if the weather might play a part in this race next weekend?
Old 15 Aug 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3444509)   #13
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The racing last year was brilliant, so with even more cars, it should be even better. However, I fear that it could become a smash fest, due to the nature of the circuit and the number of cars. If Turkington gets through this weekend, 2014 should be his. I do not think he will though, leastways not without drama.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3444624)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
The racing last year was brilliant, so with even more cars, it should be even better. However, I fear that it could become a smash fest, due to the nature of the circuit and the number of cars. If Turkington gets through this weekend, 2014 should be his. I do not think he will though, leastways not without drama.
Yep, I'd go along with that. A large number of cars and a small, narrow track are two of the main ingredients for a smash fest in BTCC... and the BMW is particularly vulnerable to a rear corner push... I too think this could be Turkington's bogey weekend.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3444645)   #15
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
If Turkington gets through this weekend, 2014 should be his. I do not think he will though, leastways not without drama.
Still the power circuits of Rockingham and Silverstone to come though......
Old 16 Aug 2014, 15:11 (Ref:3444672)   #16
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Still the power circuits of Rockingham and Silverstone to come though......
Rockingham is a RWD circuit, remember Austin won last time
Old 16 Aug 2014, 19:53 (Ref:3444706)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Rockingham is a RWD circuit, remember Austin won last time
Because he had a lot of power.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 20:40 (Ref:3444713)   #18
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo to BTCC:

STOP clashing with Formula 1. These past 2 weekends have seen a bit of a drought of racing, there's no need to divide the motorsport audience (and lose) by going up against F1.

Thank you.
Old 16 Aug 2014, 21:35 (Ref:3444720)   #19
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Remember how Colin managed to avoid incidents in his championship winning even in traffic? Well I'm sure it'll be same again. Although an 8 place grid penalty is way too harsh considering Matt braked earlier than expected. A 3 place or 5 place ok, but not an eight place.
Old 17 Aug 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3444779)   #20
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
You may laugh, but he claimed pole here last year...
Yes, I know. Its a RWD circuit,hence I am amending my prediction from one RWD to another!
Old 17 Aug 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3444827)   #21
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Yes, I know. Its a RWD circuit,hence I am amending my prediction from one RWD to another!
actually it can be ONLY Austin....

- Turks 8 places grid drop
- Collard from the back of the grid (3 strikes) (my guess he won't bother with qualy setup, he will focus just on race setup in all 3 sessions)
- Nick Foster not fast enough
- same for Hunter Abbott

so if a RWD will get pole it can be only Rob Austin
Old 18 Aug 2014, 06:23 (Ref:3444920)   #22
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
actually it can be ONLY Austin....

- Turks 8 places grid drop
- Collard from the back of the grid (3 strikes) (my guess he won't bother with qualy setup, he will focus just on race setup in all 3 sessions)
- Nick Foster not fast enough
- same for Hunter Abbott

so if a RWD will get pole it can be only Rob Austin
Just a thought - are the penalties applied after qualifying?

As I understand it, a point is awarded for pole during qualifying. If so, would the fastest lap get the point, before a penalty is then applied?
Old 18 Aug 2014, 06:32 (Ref:3444923)   #23
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Just a thought - are the penalties applied after qualifying?

As I understand it, a point is awarded for pole during qualifying. If so, would the fastest lap get the point, before a penalty is then applied?
nope

you have to actually start the race from pole to get that point..
Old 22 Aug 2014, 06:56 (Ref:3446156)   #24
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like BTCC has cracked down on their races being uploaded to YouTube and the guys previously uploading them won't be doing so anymore so their accounts aren't closed, so I won't be able to keep following this.

Shame they couldn't have at least waited until after Knockhill, as it's one of my favorite circuits on the schedule.
Old 22 Aug 2014, 07:31 (Ref:3446162)   #25
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same here, its a shame there is no legal way to watch the races online outside of the UK