Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:15 (Ref:857033)   #1
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SCCA and Trans-Am Racing, Llc Reach Agreement

Seems the Grand Am Rumours of acquiring the Trans Am name didn't cut it.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/9599/

SCCA and Trans-Am Racing, Llc Reach Agreement
Written by: RACER staff
Lansing, Mich. – 1/30/2004

Trans-Am Racing, LLC (“TAR”), a wholly owned subsidiary of Open Wheel Racing Series (“OWRS”), has agreed to a licensing arrangement with the SCCA to continue its use of the Trans-Am name in the promotion of the Motorock Trans-Am Tour. The naming agreement extends the licensing of Trans-Am’s marketing and promotional rights initiated in 2003. The new contract takes effect immediately. OWRS also owns and operates the Champ Car World Series.

“We are excited to carry forward the Motorock Trans-Am Tour, America’s oldest and most historic sports car racing series,” said Trans-Am Executive Director John Clagett. “This agreement is key to our plans for this season, and into the future. We’re privileged to write another page in the rich history of Trans-Am racing in North America.”

“I have been a part of the Trans-Am Tour as a competitor and team owner since 1987, and I’m eager to continue the Trans-Am legacy,” said OWRS partner Paul Gentilozzi.

“We are dedicated to restoring Trans-Am to its rightful place as North America’s top sports car championship,” added the three-time Trans-Am drivers champion.

"Trans-Am is not only a part of SCCA's heritage, but a major name in the American automotive industry," said SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson. "We're happy to have reached an agreement with OWRS, which means the Trans-Am name will carry on with its 39th season in 2004.

"Paul (Gentilozzi) has been an SCCA Champion, member and valued partner for years, and we look forward to continuing our relationship in many areas in the future."

The Motorock Trans-Am Tour features closed-fendered, production-based, V-8-powered sports cars, competing on permanent road courses, and temporary street and airport circuits throughout North America. The Trans-Am Tour is America’s oldest continuously running road racing series and celebrates its 39th anniversary in 2004.

Motorock is the creation of a popular culture brand that “blends the enthusiast markets of cars, stars and guitars.” It is a yearly series of destination live events that showcases the excitement of motorsports, music and lifestyle while delivering a unique new form of broadcast entertainment programming.

Last edited by The Snout; 31 Jan 2004 at 00:16.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:26 (Ref:857040)   #2
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't GARRA that was trying to get the Trans-Am™ name, but some silly outfit from NorthEast called "Muscle Car" run/owned by a millionaire by name of Duncan - they have failed in their quest and the "Trans-Am Racing LLC" owned by Paul Gentilozzi is retaining the name ?!?!

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 31 Jan 2004 at 00:27.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:35 (Ref:857044)   #3
Scrutineer78
Racer

Scrutineer78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GARRA did make a bid but it seems Gentilozzi make his requisite legal threats and SCCA were forced to let him retain the rights.

I just can't express how disgusting this is. Gentilozzi has whined and whined for year all the while he wins and wins. Now that he owns the series he still feels the need to manipulate the rules to his advantage to get his Jags in Victory Lane.

Absolutely disgusting.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:42 (Ref:857048)   #4
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I heard that the France's were making a run at the Trans Am name, me saying Grand Am wasn't entirely accurate.

Main point is we have another series on board. The package is looking pretty good.

Champcars
Formula Atlantic
Trans Am
Formula BMW (to come)

Room for one more apparently.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:44 (Ref:857050)   #5
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it benefits the ChampCar Circus, it doesn't bother me!
Old 31 Jan 2004, 00:56 (Ref:857064)   #6
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrutineer78
GARRA did make a bid but it seems Gentilozzi make his requisite legal threats and SCCA were forced to let him retain the rights.

WRONG !!! - do your homework before you post ?!

Quote:
I just can't express how disgusting this is. Gentilozzi has whined and whined for year all the while he wins and wins. Now that he owns the series he still feels the need to manipulate the rules to his advantage to get his Jags in Victory Lane.

Absolutely disgusting.
And why is it "disgusting", heh ??? He happens to be on our side !!! Are you on our side ??? or are you posting on the wrong board ?!?!

zerO

Last edited by zerO; 31 Jan 2004 at 00:58.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 04:59 (Ref:857207)   #7
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Scrutineer78

Absolutely disgusting.
I agree whole heartily. But...I think it may have been the American Muscle Car Challange that reached a tenative agreement, not GARRA. At least that was what I was told by someone 'in the know'. In fact the deal was 'done' as late as one week ago. How PG pulled this one off, I want to know, and will eventually find out. He may have had a 'right of first refusal'.

All that said, this was not the SCCA's first choice. They will go different directions when they can finally free themselves leagaly from PG.

Last edited by Brian W Keske; 31 Jan 2004 at 05:00.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 05:42 (Ref:857213)   #8
Scrutineer78
Racer

I didn't say GARRA was the tentative agreement, I just said they made a bid.

Yes, they did make a bid and yes, Gentilozzi threatened legal actions unless he got the contract.

As far as OWRS goes, I'm against anything Paul Gentilozzi has his hand in. I've despised him since the Homelink Corvette days and how "disadvantaged" he was yet he managed to still go out and win in EVERY different make TA had to offer. Gentilozzi has put the final nail in the coffin of my favorite racing series in America...

He's no better than Panoz, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by macdaddy; 31 Jan 2004 at 06:21.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 06:23 (Ref:857226)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If you're against everything PG has his hand in, and therefore against ChampCar, I suggest you find another place to troll.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 06:50 (Ref:857235)   #10
Scrutineer78
Racer

Right because voicing concerns about a person ruining one of your favorite series is trolling.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 06:55 (Ref:857239)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
If said series is TransAm, take it there.

"As far as OWRS goes, I'm against anything Paul Gentilozzi has his hand in."

Then why are you here?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 17:31 (Ref:857755)   #12
Scrutineer78
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
If said series is TransAm, take it there.

"As far as OWRS goes, I'm against anything Paul Gentilozzi has his hand in."

Then why are you here?
How about you take the press release there then?
Old 31 Jan 2004, 19:11 (Ref:857864)   #13
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It appears that Snout put the press release here to tell us that Trans Am will now be a part of the Champ Car series tour; therefore, the placement is appropriate.

However, everybody's whining about whiners is a tiresome highjack of the thread. I'm glad to know that Trans Am will continue to exist for at least a little while longer, even if it is run by PG. I'm still bummed by SCCA's letting it go but it beats shelving the whole program.

And I'm glad it will run with OWRS and Atlantics. It makes for a great racing weekend when all these series run together.
Old 31 Jan 2004, 20:37 (Ref:857995)   #14
Brian W Keske
Racer

The SCCA didn't 'let it go', PG simply has the 'naming rights' for another year. The SCCA still owns the series.

Here is hoping it is finally pulled from PG when there are no loopholes left in the contract.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 00:04 (Ref:858323)   #15
Scrutineer78
Racer

I'm just hoping they can survive another year of the Gestapo.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 01:38 (Ref:858418)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't want to stray to far off-topic but I have been following TransAm for only a few seasons and I am curious as too what you think PG has done that is so bad.
I am asking this in all seriousness so if possible I would prefer a balanced view without the name calling. Thanks
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Feb 2004, 02:28 (Ref:858461)   #17
Brian W Keske
Racer

It can basically be summed up with the introduction on the Jaguar. PG's invention. He invented it, developed it, ran it, and won with it (Rocketsports).

Only a select few can afford one, and the whole concept is counter to what the Trans-Am is suppose to be; a series made up of tube frame V8 GT1 cars based on the GT1 class of the SCCA, which many folks run regionaly and nationaly every weekend in the summer, on road courses accross the country. If you are good enough, and you find the money, you too could decide to go Trans-Am racing. Problem is, the Jaguar put that way out of reach from the 'grass roots' Pro racing series it was formed to be. Many Trans-Am participants are not too happy with the results under PG.

The SCCA has the SPEED World Challange directed more towards what PG wants the Trans-Am to become. In other words, the SCCA is being forced to duplicate (in some ways) a series that already exists, except right now the Trans-Am only has one viable winning car, the Jag. If PG had his way, everyone would pony up the cash for one of his Jag's and go racing ion his series...kinda like IROC, everyone would be driving the same car. Can you say boring?

So much for GM vs. Ford vs. Dodge. The type of marque battles Trans-Am was directed at, *at a grass roots* level with shop built tube frame cars many fans can identify with.

So much more can be said, but that is fairly simple.

Last edited by Brian W Keske; 1 Feb 2004 at 02:30.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 02:45 (Ref:858465)   #18
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brian, though SCCA retains control, I do consider that handing out the naming rights to PG was more or less letting it go. You can't send your children to camp and expect them to come home unchanged.

You've given a good summation above.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 02:57 (Ref:858473)   #19
Brian W Keske
Racer

You are right blueflagger, of course. But the SCCA still, ultimatly, has the chance to take control of it by giving it to someone elase down the road.

BTW, do you flag for the SCCA?
Old 1 Feb 2004, 03:03 (Ref:858476)   #20
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the summation Brian. I have to say that last years race at Mosport the TransAm event was upstaged by the World Challenge guys, if mainly because of the dominance of the Jags in TransAm. Yes, boring! The Jags are nice cars though and wouldn't it be nice to see some other manufacturers step up to the challenge. Could it not be PG's intention to bring the series beyond it's grassroots level? I look at series in Australia (V8 supercars) and Europe (DTM) with envy an dthink wouldn't it be nice to see something similiar in North America. Could TransAm have the potential to be such a series?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 1 Feb 2004, 03:05 (Ref:858477)   #21
Scrutineer78
Racer

Let's not lay this blame on Jag. Not saying you are Brian but they just seem to be a follower in this deal.

Jag had nothing to do with PG until NA Jag Dealers decided to sponsor the Pruett car.

The problem is PG, which more or less Brian said. PG wants people to buy PG cars and support PG series in which only PG wins.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 03:09 (Ref:858479)   #22
blueflagger
Veteran

Yes, I'm CenDiv, but Area 5. I don't make it to Ohio very often.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 03:23 (Ref:858484)   #23
Brian W Keske
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
I look at series in Australia (V8 supercars) and Europe (DTM) with envy an dthink wouldn't it be nice to see something similiar in North America. Could TransAm have the potential to be such a series?
Don't get me wrong, I like those series too, but the direction takes it beyond the grasp of most that would be/are interested in participation of Trans-Am.

I guess you would have a better idea if you spent time at many SCCA regional/national races during the year. Again, it is suppose to be an extension of the 'local' races, running basically the same cars/equipment, but at a Pro level.

It's not that 'high roller' teams and divers didn't participate in the past; Most notable is Penske with Donohue in the early seventies.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 03:25 (Ref:858486)   #24
Brian W Keske
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by blueflagger
Yes, I'm CenDiv, but Area 5. I don't make it to Ohio very often.
Great. Ever make it to the Run-Off's?

I work allot of weekends at Nelson Ledges, and a NEOHIO member.
Old 1 Feb 2004, 03:29 (Ref:858487)   #25
blueflagger
Veteran

I'll PM you.