Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Dec 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2592803)   #1
Tincorna
Rookie

England
Barnsley
Tincorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John Ewer Mustang

Bit of a long shot this, but i'm attempting to make a 'Skin' for the GT Legends Racing sim of John Ewer's Mustang. The car was previously raced by Jackie Oliver and then by Ewer in 1968 where he, along with Syd Fox, finished first at Snetterton in the Guardes 500km race.
The problem is, i only have screen grabs i've taken from old video footage to go on and i'm having trouble identifying the logo's on the front wing;

The rear roof pillar;

...And the Boot lid;

So, if anyone can identify them or point me in the right direction i'd be very grateful
Old 20 Jun 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3745558)   #2
Arranj
Rookie

Arranj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know John Ewer, he is very honoured and would like to have a look if its not gone (i realise the post id quite old).
Old 21 Jun 2017, 06:55 (Ref:3745687)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Was this an AMR ex Tour de France car to begin with?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 17:07 (Ref:3745827)   #4
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Chunterer, if was the case shouldn't it be in full Groupe 1 trim (original rear wings, bumpers…)?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 18:29 (Ref:3745845)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The ex TDF cars were prepd to Group 5 spec by AMR i think Gerard
Old 22 Jun 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3745923)   #6
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Assuming it is one & the same car I have photographs of it both as raced by Jackie Oliver & John Ewer/Syd Fox.

My Oliver photo, taken at Snetterton in August 1966 when the car was still white, shows it with wheels akin to the Tour de France cars, whereas by 1968 it has some very different wheels. Jackie O also appears to have raced it without front or rear bumpers.

For what it is worth after all this time, the crossed flags sticker on the front wing is almost certainly Firestone, & I think the other one is for Autolite Spark Plugs. No idea what the one on the boot is.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 05:54 (Ref:3745924)   #7
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes sure you're right but there are several homologation forms for the Mustang. If you have a look to appendix J from period I'd say Group 1 was strictly original, Group 2 few allowances and the slightest alteration sent you directly in Group 5.
During '64 Tour de France, there were 3 AMR and another - slower pedaled by Henri Greder engaged by Ford France- . All the bodies look original.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3745941)   #8
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Yes sure you're right but there are several homologation forms for the Mustang. If you have a look to appendix J from period I'd say Group 1 was strictly original, Group 2 few allowances and the slightest alteration sent you directly in Group 5.
During '64 Tour de France, there were 3 AMR and another - slower pedaled by Henri Greder engaged by Ford France- . All the bodies look original.
Gerard, Jackie Oliver was racing the Mustang in club events so I don't suppose it mattered what was or wasn't homologated. The team could always put the bumpers back in place for an international. The event where I photographed the car was simply a 7-lap Saloon Car race, divided into three classes on engine size.

I don't have the programme for the 1968 500km race, so can't readily tell you what rules that was run to. I do seem to remember the result was a bit of a surprise - minnows taking on the big fish, so to speak.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3745957)   #9
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Gerard, Jackie Oliver was racing the Mustang in club events so I don't suppose it mattered what was or wasn't homologated. The team could always put the bumpers back in place for an international. The event where I photographed the car was simply a 7-lap Saloon Car race, divided into three classes on engine size.

I don't have the programme for the 1968 500km race, so can't readily tell you what rules that was run to. I do seem to remember the result was a bit of a surprise - minnows taking on the big fish, so to speak.
I've found the programme & it still doesn't tell me! However, as a round of the European Saloon Car Championship, would it have been Group 5?
Old 22 Jun 2017, 07:45 (Ref:3745962)   #10
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I've found the programme & it still doesn't tell me! However, as a round of the European Saloon Car Championship, would it have been Group 5?
Being a works supported car, the question could be "was it compliant"?
Old 22 Jun 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3745974)   #11
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Being a works supported car, the question could be "was it compliant"?
I think I can safely say that John Ewer's Mustang was not works supported. It was the only one of three Ford V8's to finish the race, the other two being Falcon's. One was Eric Hauser's, the other Terry Drury, so not exactly major league.

The whole race entry was an interesting mix of works- or semi-works cars with not too many making the trip to England. Pre-race favourite was Vic Elford's Bill Bradley-entered Porsche, but that didn't feature in the results. That class (1601-2500cc) was probably the most hotly-contested with three works BMW 2002's & five 911's. It was won by the Helmut Kelleners/Erwin Kremer 911 that also finished second overall to the Mustang.

The class below that was won by the Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey/Mario Casoni AutoDelta Alfa GTA from Chris Alford's Saab 96 V4.

The three classes below that contained a mixture of everything from a Steyr Puch and Panhard 24Ct to works Mini Cooper's and Lancia Fulvia, quite a mixed bag.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 07:43 (Ref:3745961)   #12
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John, not only the Minis surprised "the big fish". You must remember the surprise Masoero did during the '63 TdF with his Giulia TI Super fighting against the GTO's!
As to the winning Mustang it is said that it was immediately shipped back to US after its victory. Great you can spot the stickers though!
I meet Henri Greder's former mechanic on a regular basis but dont know if he was involved during the Ford area, probably he joined only when Henri became a GM sub contractor.
Old 2 Jul 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3748262)   #13
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A front-on shot of the Ewer Mustang at Snetterton with lots of details - no front bumper, no front grille and taping on the headlights.