Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 Jul 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3277644)   #1
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2013 Spa 24 hours

I am trying to plan a trip to the 2013 Spa 24 hours but unfortunately the official side is lacking in information. I hope some of you have experienced the race and can help fill in some details.

The plan is to arrive by car on saturday before the race. How is the parking organised? Are there dedicated lots near the circuit and do you have to book a spot in advance like you do at Le Mans?
Also I have not been able to find info about camping at the track. Are there sites at the track or do you have to track down a local campsite nearby? And do you have to book these in advance, like at Le Mans?
The only tickets I have come across are generel entrance and paddock tickets. Is tribunes free or how do you book those? Also, are the paddock tickets worth it is you are only staying for the race?

And what is the experinece like in general? I expect the crowd to be significantly smaller than at Le Mans but is the atmosphere comparable?

Excuse me for all the questions, but I am trying to get the most of this trip. I very much look forward to visit this place I have lapped so frequently on simulators. I hope some of you can help me with my planning, and thanks in advance.
Old 14 Jul 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3277703)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i haven't been for a few years, but personally i prefer it to le mans (sorry, guys ). it's a smaller event as you say, a lot less "glamour" and a lot more about the racing though there is a decent amount of beer too . there is no lighting on the infield, but walking around the circuit is totally magical for that very reason. if seeing sunrise at dunlop is the essential le mans experience, i would say sunset sat at the top of eau rouge is the spa one.

i can't advise on parking or the camping though iirc the only option is the local paid parking in various backyards or if you turn left at the hotel/restaurant before the roundabout at the top of la source, and i'm sure the grandstands were free. if you're literally just going for the race i'd not bother with a campsite to be honest unless you're really planning to sleep. take a decent torch, and try and cater for yourself rather than rely on circuit catering. it's a huge ball ache now with having to buy tokens to redeem at burger and chip vans.

the paddock pass is helpful, imo a lot of the atmosphere is there where the new and old pits are rather than in the spectator area behind the old start/finish line.

so er, yeah, no real practical information but hopefully someone will be along soon with some more recent ideas! the event website is righteously crap, you're totally right :/
Old 15 Jul 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3277859)   #3
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Spa 24 Hours, part of the Blancpain Endurance Series, is the greatest GT race on the planet, as with Bella, (who I believe I may know), I prefer the Spa classic to Le Man (having experienced both in recent years). At least most cars are racing against each other so while Le Mans may be the great Prototype race Spa is THE great GT race. There is a huge car park at the top of the track after the roundabout after leaving Francorchamps and camping is usually available in the forest near the track or behind the Hotel de Bruyerre (The Racing Hotel Francorchamps). wish I was attending this year myself!
Old 15 Jul 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3277881)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think if you use the big huge car parking lot as a main plan for carparking then you have to turn up pretty early on saturday morning. i thought most of it was used for people with passes or taken by people who set up camp there earlier in the week?

(i'm 95% sure i don't know you, but i could be wrong )
Old 16 Jul 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3278196)   #5
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi DC,
certainly agree with champcarman's opening line. Spa, IMO, is the best circuit on earth. I will be marshalling the 24hrs, again this year. I believe you can camp opposite Les Combes, at the top of the circuit. There is a campsite right on Les Combes, but that is for marshals only and is guarded.
You can walk round 99.9% of the circuit, switching from inside to outside. The only bit you can't walk past the circuit is where the go kart track is (worth a go if you can afford it.
The crowds are nowhere near as big as Le Mans, which makes it quite pleasant. You can watch the start from the startline grandstands for free, Eau Rouge gets a bit packed at this time, but don't miss the view from the top of Eau Rouge, or the bottom. Some of the decents/climbs are very steep and some are quite long, but well worth the view. There is a firework display at midnight, from an area near the top of the circuit.
Remember it is surrounded by forrest so when it's wet, it's very wet, but let's hope not.
It's an awesome place and I'm sure you'll love it.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 14:41 (Ref:3278398)   #6
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the hints.
When you say opposite Les Combes do you mean on the inside of the circuit? Or further away on the outside?
That sounds like a good options. Does anybody know if you have to prebook the campsite like at Le Mans or if you can just turn up saturday and find a spot?
Old 16 Jul 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3278464)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlop Corner View Post
Thanks for the hints.
When you say opposite Les Combes do you mean on the inside of the circuit? Or further away on the outside?
That sounds like a good options. Does anybody know if you have to prebook the campsite like at Le Mans or if you can just turn up saturday and find a spot?
The campsite is on the outside, just across the public road, don't believe you have to book.
Photo 1; view from the top of the circuit
Photo 2; Our view for this years' 24 hours.
Photo 3; The start 2 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1340.jpeg   DH000014.jpeg   DH000051.jpeg  

Old 16 Jul 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3278468)   #8
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG1334.jpeg   DH000020.jpeg   DH000047.jpeg  

Old 16 Jul 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3278470)   #9
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland

Photo 2; view from the marshal's campsite at Les Combes.
Attached Thumbnails
DH000012.jpeg   DH000066.jpeg  
Old 17 Jul 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3278840)   #10
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Spectator campside Les Combes is outside track but right next to it (have a look at google maps). It can be reached by taking the N62 from Malmedy up towards Les Combes (this is the old track, going through Burnenville in opposite race direction!), I believe the entrance is on Route des Combes, right on your left when arriving on top at Les Combes. Don´t know if the campsite is already accessible a week before the race.

Keep in mind this is a racing spectators area with all the (German) noises that come with it - all the way thru the nite if you´re lucky. Not much difference with Le Mans and Nurburgring now that I think of it!
And it´s quite hilly too.

There are also good regular campsites near Stavelot here and just north of the track, here. Only familiar with the former which is definitely worth a recommendation imo. If you have time I´d suggest you´ll have a look at them both.

Enjoy, I´m sure you´ll love your time at Spa!
Old 17 Jul 2013, 19:17 (Ref:3278841)   #11
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Photo 2; Our view for this years' 24 hours.
Hi neighbor! (we´ll be on poste 18, old 14)
Old 17 Jul 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3278883)   #12
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Remember it is surrounded by forrest so when it's wet, it's very wet, but let's hope not.
No kidding - never got as drenched as I did last year's FP Friday before the F1 GP - take waterproof trousers!

This event is certainly on my to-do list, either as spectator or marshal, hope you have a great time.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3289262)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
So, Dunlop? I missed this thread altogether or would have chucked in my own comments, earlier. I slept in the Golf up at Combes. It was OK, till I got the Sound System War in my face till 6AM Friday night!
Had a great weekend, but left early Sunday, as all the VDS entries were out, and Jake needed a lift to Verviers.
I was playing Hooky from the family, who were in Brussels for sightseeing. So I got brownie points by collecting them, and pointing out the race was still running!