Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 1 Nov 2009, 12:50 (Ref:2573388)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tom Wheatcroft Dies aged 87

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79938

RIP Tom, at least he got his dream of a GP at Donington. A true enthusiast who helped many racers.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2573395)   #2
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Tom, thankyou for all the years I spectated at one of the best circuits in the country.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2573409)   #3
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really sad news. RIP Tom and let's get Donington back to full strength in memory of him

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 1 Nov 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2573455)   #4
neilwaynesmith
Veteran

England
Tamworth, England
neilwaynesmith is a back marker
Shame he passed with Donington in such a mess.
RIP Mr Wheatcroft, a gentleman, a racer, an enthusiast.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 16:31 (Ref:2573522)   #5
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Condolences to the Wheatcroft family
Old 1 Nov 2009, 19:25 (Ref:2573617)   #6
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My memories of Tom and his family are many. I have known Tom since 1976/7 when I had retired from racing and went up to Donington to help get the track ready. Skipping through the years, I ran the Donington shops, including the old wooden one in the Paddock, the one with the tree in the centre of it. Then later, Tom gave me the rights to the Donington logo for race jackets and badges, caps and decals. Tom allowed me to organise that famous (and some say illegal) "Citizens Band Radio Day", in the 80's, which was so successful we blocked the exit from the M1! Tom used to say to me "What are we up to next son?" I used to spend a lot of time with Tom in his office, just talking racing, along with his young family. After races we would all gather in "THE RED GATE" pub, with Tom and his family and the drivers that had raced that day, and see the evening well under way. He was a down to earth, some would say basic type of man, but you knew just where you stood with him, what you saw, was what you got. I have seen his kindness to strangers and I have seen him sack people "on the spot!" I have laughed with him, and kept out of his way at times too. My dear friend Roger Williamson was like a son to him, and was taken into Tom's family, as if he were one of his own. When Tom laughed it was loud and gregarious, and that deep gravelly voice of his was unmistakeable. Tom, in his day was definately THE BOSS, make no mistake. But he was Mr Motor Racing, he loved it, he lived it; Donington Park was his life.
Thank you for eveything Tom.
You will be missed by the ordinary racegoer and the elite organisations too. But you know what? I betcha Tom would be happier standing in the bar with a pint than "Obnobbin' with the toffs"
Bless you Tom and all my love and sincere condolences to all your family.
Gerry.
Old 1 Nov 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2573621)   #7
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Devastated at this sad loss, had the pleasure of meeting him in about 77 when we visited the museum, a very nice man who had time to talk to all who would listen.

A very sad day. RIP Mr Wheatcroft.

Last edited by Justin Moran; 1 Nov 2009 at 19:41. Reason: wrong year. :(
Old 1 Nov 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2573670)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Goodnight Mr.Tom...
You will be missed.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2573926)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A fitting obituary Gerry. Rest in Peace Tom and thanks for giving me my most memorable racing experiences on the best track in this country.
Old 2 Nov 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2574069)   #10
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember marshalling at Donington soon after it opened and during an extended lunch break I went in to the museum in my 'Oranges' hoping for a free trip around, my hopes were extended when I saw Tom sitting in there, I said, any chance of a look around Tom, to which he replied, 'Yes not a problem, just pay over there'.....................

Tom did an one helluva lot for motorsport in this country, RIP

Bladders........................
Old 2 Nov 2009, 16:51 (Ref:2574246)   #11
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom will be sadly missed, a true lover of motorsport. I just hope that whoever now gets control of Donington has even half of his enthusiasm and concern. If they do then the circuit will be back as one of the best and a fitting tribute to him.

My deepest condolences to all of his family at this very sad time.
Old 3 Nov 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2574575)   #12
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having met Tom many times, I can honestly say he was a true motorsport fan. His hospitality, especially in his suite at Goddards, was unrivalled. He will be sadly missed. RIP Tom.
Old 18 Nov 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2584359)   #13
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is an obituary to Tom in today's Daily Telegraph.
Old 21 Nov 2009, 04:39 (Ref:2586198)   #14
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was heavily involved with the Nottingham Sports Car Club as a committee member and in 1976, we had a combined stand with Donington Park at the Donington Speed Show.

I built a Scalextric version of the track which was a huge drawcard, but during the construction phase, Tom wandered past, with some pithy comment about my construction techniques. "True Tom", I said, "but it will be up and running before yours..." He wandered off laughing.

Ronnie Peterson competed on 'my track'!

Then the NSCC ran the first post war car meeting at Donington, end May 1977. Needless to say, Tom was there beaming from ear to ear, revelling in the realisation of his dream.

A fantastic guy who fought the long battle to get the nation's best track reopened, despite dozy short sighted councils.

We all owe him a real debt and although I now live on the opposite side of the world, Donington is very dear to me and Tom's battles were not a lot different from the hassles experienced here in NZ, trying to get the new Hampton Downs circuit up and running. Fights with authorities that delayed it two expensive years.

I'll read the signed copy of his book, purchased from the museum in September soon, and I am sure it will be a favourite.

RiP Tom.