Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2001, 10:26 (Ref:174820)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GP could be run in Germany in 2002

Confused? Same here. According to this weeks Autosport the European GP at the Nurburgring could be rebadged as the British GP if Silverstone is dropped due to last years traffic problems.

This seems a very strange way of resolving the matter to me and would not sit favourably with fellow British fans if this was to happen.

We've already lost our national football management to a foreigner, not our GP too!!
Old 15 Nov 2001, 12:16 (Ref:174868)   #2
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: British GP could be run in Germany in 2002

Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Confused? Same here. According to this weeks Autosport the European GP at the Nurburgring could be rebadged as the British GP if Silverstone is dropped due to last years traffic problems.

This seems a very strange way of resolving the matter to me and would not sit favourably with fellow British fans if this was to happen.

We've already lost our national football management to a foreigner, not our GP too!!
It won't happen. This smacks of the Autosnort automatic Headline Generator running again. It supplies a remotely plausable headline and then some spotty erk of a staffer crafts a story round it.

I just called the Silverstone Press office and The FOCA - Both of whom deny this - MSA were unable to provide me with a statement.
Old 15 Nov 2001, 12:18 (Ref:174869)   #3
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds like the beginning of the Grand Prix exchange system! Which GP should we have instead??
Old 15 Nov 2001, 12:35 (Ref:174875)   #4
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds about as silly as having the Swiss GP at Dijon in France or the San Marino GP at Imola in Italy
Old 15 Nov 2001, 13:48 (Ref:174894)   #5
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 15 Nov 2001, 15:42 (Ref:174925)   #6
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:confused: :confused: :confused: The moral of this story is, don't drink and write. Maybe.:confused:
Old 15 Nov 2001, 16:17 (Ref:174940)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
This was an article that was aired last week in the press. It's the age old sh*t from the FIA saying that if Octagon don't spend millions on the track and infrastructure for one weekend of the year, they (Bernie) will take his precious race somewhere where it's wanted.

Usual **** from the FIA. If you don't play ball with me, I'll take the ball away. For once the Brtish Motor Racing establishment should stand up and say to Bernie: "so go on then, take it away and give it to Germany you money grabbing little sh*t"
Old 15 Nov 2001, 16:31 (Ref:174953)   #8
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
For once the Brtish Motor Racing establishment should stand up and say to Bernie: "so go on then, take it away and give it to Germany you money grabbing little sh*t"
Do you really think that there is a country that would give the Grand Prix?
Old 16 Nov 2001, 08:54 (Ref:175323)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Australia could host two Grand Prix & call the other one the P.N.G Grand prix.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 09:06 (Ref:175331)   #10
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
Nah they would call it the South Pacific Grand Prix.
Like when Japan had 2 and they called the other the Pacific Grand Prix.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 09:20 (Ref:175338)   #11
srinimax
Racer

srinimax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok now does there really have to be a british gp in germany. i mean why not allow silverstone to get its act together in a year's time if they dont host it next year. or even how about brands hatch or any of the other tracks. seriously, holding the british gp in a non-british track seems kinda stupid. britain has lots of tracks and i'm sure they can find atleast one that can be spruced up in time.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 09:45 (Ref:175350)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone is the only track in the UK with enough facilities to host a Grand Prix. The whole arguement is about access to the circuit and queues in and out of the event. There are major road improvements being undertaken at the moment to alleviate the problem, but like all works in the UK they take forever to complete.

As I said in an earlier post, the FIA say nothing about any other GP and seem hell bent on ruining the British GP in my opinion. The is nothing to stop Octagon holding the GP in any country they wish, although I agree to have the British GP in any other country than Britain is a nonsence. To be quite honest, if it were to happen it would be Bernie and the FIA that were made to look stupid for forcing the race out of the country.

Of course there is another scenario. The FIA and the Poison Dwarf are trying to put pressure on the UK Government to fund much of the circuit improvements through public spending, or by lottery funding.

Either way, I and many thousands of others, are seriously hacked off at the continual sniping at the British Grand Prix. Lets also remember that the mud bath of two years ago was caused by the FIA moving the British GP to April, a month when there is often snow in England! That was designed to teach the BRDC a lesson for not selling the circuit to Brands Hatch Leisure (Octagon). The whole Grand Prix matter is now so political it has forgotten what it is intended to be ENTERTAINMENT!
Old 16 Nov 2001, 15:25 (Ref:175484)   #13
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear hear.

We just need a proper circuit in the UK. Silverstone isn't it. In terms of facilities it just isn't. The access is poor, the circuit doesn't have many good viewing points and it is OBSURDLEY overpriced.

Why don't we just build a NEW home for British motorsport?? I mean, WHY NOT?? If we can build an OVAl that will only be run on once a year (ASCAR?? please.) we can CERTAINLY afford to build a new national racing circuit.

OK, may be it would make more sense to develop the Silverstone site. But it's exactly the same re: the national stadium. They have already BUILT one in Wales, why not in England??
Old 16 Nov 2001, 16:16 (Ref:175502)   #14
Wiki
Racer

Wiki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
As a New Zealander can I request we call the second Aussie GP the New Zealand GP please (or maybe just have it in NZ in the first place - I vote to upgrade Teretonga, scene of many a fine winter Tasman series race)

er and at the rate it's going a British GP in Germany would have cheaper tickets for fans than silverstone does ... although it would be nice if they kept the free park-and-ride offer from Milton Keynes to the race track
Old 16 Nov 2001, 18:30 (Ref:175553)   #15
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I wouldn't bank on it Wiki. Octagon would have to get their money back and I bet ticket prices wouldn't be much lower than they are now.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 19:24 (Ref:175567)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
What I find most insulting is the fact that Bernie can abviously be bought. He gets given the key to Budapest and now the worst circuit in the world, playing host to the worst race in the world is never considered for the chop. The facilities and everything at Silverstone are leagues above that at Hungary. The only reason they don't have traffic problems is because donkeys take up less space than cars.
Old 16 Nov 2001, 21:50 (Ref:175626)   #17
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
if its true, im heading a lynch mob for max mosely!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
Old 17 Nov 2001, 15:10 (Ref:175853)   #18
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
if its true, im heading a lynch mob for max mosely!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
You ment Bernie, right?
Old 17 Nov 2001, 18:38 (Ref:175926)   #19
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
April Fools day ?......................In November???????????
Old 17 Nov 2001, 20:57 (Ref:175957)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I believe it is refered to in news speech as 'a slow news day' . Well they need something to fill the F1 pages what with the testing ban and all.