Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 15 Dec 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1791535)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clay Regazzoni Dead

Clay Regazzoni has passed away this afternoon cos of a tragic car accident in Italy.

So reports www.corriere.it

As good on the track as unlucky or the roads.

May he r.i.p.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 17:22 (Ref:1791574)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
RIP Regga.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:29 (Ref:1791660)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Damn.

I adored Regga; he was my favorite driver when I was a kid. I have a friend who drank with him on several occaisions at Watkins Glen and said he was charming, a real gentleman and had a lovely sense of humour.

I went to the Glen in '74 hoping he'd take the WDC from Fittipaldi and a lacklustre race gave him second in the championship.

In '73, he nearly took the two opening races in Argentina and Brazil with the woefully underpowered BRM P160E. That woulkd have been glorious.

Tonight I'll raise a glass to Clay. The man who gave Williams their first win and who made the Ensigns look quick and who mostly will be remembered for being the darling of the tifosi.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1791673)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

RIP Clay, special guy.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 20:11 (Ref:1791694)   #5
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news.

I saw him race quite a bit in the Ferrari F1 and Sports Cars. He seemed to be doing it for the fun of it. I had a short conversation with him at Brands in the 70's and he was more interested in going to play a game of football than sorting out the finer points of his race car.

To carrying on racing after his Long Beach crash was remarkable and his efforts to promote the cause of disabled people was praiseworthy.

Another one of my boyhood heros passes away.
Old 15 Dec 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1791695)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
I went to the Glen in '74 hoping he'd take the WDC from Fittipaldi and a lacklustre race gave him second in the championship.
I was there as well and rooting for Regga!

Last edited by Alan Raine; 15 Dec 2006 at 20:18.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 02:22 (Ref:1791901)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't tell you how disappointed I was that he didn't take the crown that long-ago October day.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1792003)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For the tribute thread I am afraid I shall have to rely on another's, far better words, than mine.
Roebucks views on Clay Regazzoni, written before this sad news.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/56037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebuck
...a man who had class to throw away.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 11:24 (Ref:1792021)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Adam, what a wonderful piece by Roebuck; thanks for pointing us to it. As you say, very difficult to add to, in these circumstances.

Clay Regazzoni, RIP
Old 16 Dec 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1792115)   #10
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Totally shocked to see the sad news on Ceefax just now.

I have a lovely foto of him that I took two or three year's ago in the F1 Paddock at The Goodwood Festival of Speed.

RIP....Regga.

You were a very special human being.

Paula Hamilton
Old 16 Dec 2006, 18:10 (Ref:1792225)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
I can't tell you how disappointed I was that he didn't take the crown that long-ago October day.
Yes it was dissapointing. If I remember correctly he had a suspension problem all weekend and was never really in it. All Fittipaldi had to do was drive around and score a point.

At least I had James Hunt to cheer on.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1792227)   #12
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Adam, what a wonderful piece by Roebuck; thanks for pointing us to it. As you say, very difficult to add to, in these circumstances.

Clay Regazzoni, RIP
Yes very good. An excellent article in the circumstances and it sums up my feelings exactly.
Old 16 Dec 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1792273)   #13
rpj
Rookie

rpj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonderful man.

While I was delivering a car to Switzerland I happen to meet the great man, I was stood back while they were taking photo's of the car and on Clay's in instance I was included in the photo's, to which I have and still treasure today. I also met him again at this years Tour Espaina to which He remember me delivering the car, a true Gentleman.
Old 17 Dec 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1792908)   #14
racer-gal
Rookie

racer-gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Clay

An amazing racing icon!
Old 18 Dec 2006, 17:01 (Ref:1793773)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Thanks for posting the link to Roebuck's column, Adam.

It's a great piece.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 23:56 (Ref:2089201)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Staggering. A year ago tomorrow. Already.

Well worth a re-read of that Roebuck column above; it is still active.

RIP Clay!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2092013)   #17
Ellmau
Racer

Ellmau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news.