Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 7 Oct 2009, 03:36 (Ref:2555597)   #51
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Don't phone the undertaker just yet,latest installment...

Tyres 'on way' as A1GP seeks court reprieve

MORE than 500 tyres are en route to Australia and two new A1GP teams are set to line up on the grid at this month's SuperGP, according to event organisers.

Having overcome a series of hurdles to the race making the starting grid, series bosses have told The Bulletin that all of its race gear is on its way or about to be shipped to Australia.

A1 general manager Paul Cherry said seven sets of tyres for each of the 20 teams lining up for the Gold Coast SuperGP were already headed our way.

"The tyres are already on their way, they are coming directly from France," said Mr Cherry from London.

"And I've just been out at Stansted Airport where half of our equipment is now in containers ready to be sent to the Gold Coast.

...http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/...t-supergp.html
Old 7 Oct 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2555651)   #52
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only imagine the court hearing did not go well as all creditors have not been payed by yesterdays deadline.

Quote: "Now we have to go back to court to come out of administration.

"We need to prove that we have the funding to meet our financial obligations."

When Mr Teixeira announced the new financial structure last week, he promised to repay all creditors by the October 6 hearing (London time).

"Our intention is to settle all our outstanding creditors prior to the administration hearing, and would like to thank them for their patience and support," he said.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 07:37 (Ref:2555669)   #53
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Well looks like at least the Gold Coast get 500 tyres to look at.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 08:06 (Ref:2555686)   #54
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
This sounds like what happened to GBR, only on a bigger scale ... no doubt the assets will mysteriously disappear and a new company formed to go racing.
Old 7 Oct 2009, 08:35 (Ref:2555702)   #55
Mak
Veteran

I think this is all looks like another shifty managment deal. They must have thought they could let A1 operations go into liquidation, writing off their debts and keep all the assets. Fortunately DOT were awake and held the cars and equipment. Now it looks like they have to honour there debts in order to move forward. TT likes to let everone know how successful a businessman he is, and how he has made Billions, well maybe he should take responsibility for his bad decisions and do the right thing and save jobs. I doubt he will thou! He will just let it go than use his own funds.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2556776)   #56
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Petrol Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This does not look good guys. A1 has come back from the dead on several ocassions but this really could be it this time.

Hope i'm wrong as there are a lot of jobs and fans on the line. Ironic that A1 would be racing in front of its biggest crowd ever - anyway fingers crossed.
Old 8 Oct 2009, 21:13 (Ref:2556993)   #57
rychard
Rookie

rychard has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't even get a response from any of the email addresses I have for A1 ......
Old 9 Oct 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2557353)   #58
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When are the teams due to arrive in the Gold Coast?

I was interested to read in Autosport that Ian Barnwell, A1GP Freight and Logistics boss has left and is restarting his own race team, Team Firstair.

When I went to the 1000km race at Silverstone last month I noticed the A1GP air freight boxes in the yard of the unit that A1GP used to rent, but when they have moved to Bognor Regis why are the freight boxes still in Northamptonshire.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2558053)   #59
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article doesn't actually say that he has left A1.

And A1 has never moved to Bognor. The new car was produced there, at URT Composites, but the operational base of A1 has always been at Silverstone.

But given that it looks increasingly more likely that Superleague Formula will replace A1GP at Surfers Paradise, I would say thats game over for A1.
Old 10 Oct 2009, 08:44 (Ref:2558056)   #60
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dave - I could live with Superleague - those cars are awesome! - do you have a link???

Both use Michelin, and I guess the tyre specs would be similar...

Last edited by cptkablamo; 10 Oct 2009 at 08:50. Reason: added details
Old 10 Oct 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2558058)   #61
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No link, just insider 'knowledge' from a very disgruntled A1 Mechanic
Old 10 Oct 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2558116)   #62
ASRoma
Rookie

ASRoma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if superleague cars are nice, the level of the championship is nowhere close to a1... the standard of driving last year was very very good in a1

I once talked to the chief engineer from ferrari and he told me he was really really impressed by some of the guys
Old 10 Oct 2009, 21:11 (Ref:2558390)   #63
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave not neil View Post

But given that it looks increasingly more likely that Superleague Formula will replace A1GP at Surfers Paradise, I would say thats game over for A1.
Does not make any sense at all. Australian public would not relate to it and the Queensland Govt would not back it.
Old 11 Oct 2009, 23:52 (Ref:2559319)   #64
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess that if they had a choice between Superleague and nothing, they will choose Superleague...IF it did happen, and it is a big IF...I can't see it being for more than 1 year...
Old 13 Oct 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2560620)   #65
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21908.html

Quote:
A1GP boss Tony Teixeira has won a court case to win the release of the cars that have been held since the end of the last A1GP season by a freight company that is claiming it is owed $2m.
Quote:
Teixeira says that he will have 17 cars in Australia.
Off-topic, but did anyone else hear Gareth Jones' A1GP/Monty Python Dead Parrot sketch on his latest podcast?
Old 13 Oct 2009, 18:52 (Ref:2560740)   #66
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
On A1GP's own site they have put up a press relase about having 19 cars (*subject to change) at Surfer's Paradise.

However, looking at the list the first 4 are given as
A1 team countryname,
the other 15 as just countryname

To a sceptical reader like me, this looks like there might just be 4 A1 cars, with the rest being something else wrapped up in country colours. (Superformula cars?). This allows TT to stage an event and keep the cash coming, without actually having to get the majority of cars out of hock?
Old 13 Oct 2009, 19:31 (Ref:2560756)   #67
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Doh!, the page has now changed and all now listed as team A1GP countryname bang goes that conspiracy theory.
I thought the master magician had pulled it off at the last moment, again

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 13 Oct 2009 at 19:38. Reason: I still think TT will put something on, just not what A1 was before
Old 13 Oct 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2560761)   #68
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Malaysia for the first round - http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.a...581&sec=sports

Pakistan is listed, so I guess they will no show and it will be 18...
Old 14 Oct 2009, 09:50 (Ref:2561122)   #69
Kebab
Racer

I wonder whether A1 can find enough people they haven't scammed to run the cars, etc. ...
Old 14 Oct 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2561173)   #70
Mak
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab View Post
I wonder whether A1 can find enough people they haven't scammed to run the cars, etc. ...
Just run with the ones they have already scammed!
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2561263)   #71
Kebab
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Just run with the ones they have already scammed!
Are there really that many people desperate/dumb enough to work for these clowns again?!
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2561269)   #72
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i hop they scam astromega. team china deserves beter team. everybody fancy a beter team for china.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2561290)   #73
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now that the country list has been release, the next question is:

Who will be driving for each country? Anyone know the driver lineup?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 15:18 (Ref:2561362)   #74
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Here is Autosport's list of the teams, but there is no mention of who the drivers will be.

Adam Carroll, for one, is thought still to be chasing an F1 drive and I did read somewhere that Nell Jani had similar ideas.

I think any motorsport money from Malaysia will head towards the Lotus F1 project and Fairuz Fauzy is thought likely to be one of the drivers, so that's probably the real reason for Malaysia's absence from the list.

I suppose Teixeira has to put on a brave face but, really, who does he think he's kidding?
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:01 (Ref:2561382)   #75
ASRoma
Rookie

ASRoma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's not be too harsh with A1 GP. People can criticize the management but I tell you that most of the drivers are very happy to drive there and that hundreds would love to drive there. The championship was always very good and it was good to have another "Monoseater professional series."

Ok Carroll and Jani are trying to get to F1, but I sincerely doubt they will get there and they were really happy to drive in A1 GP when they had nothing else. Fauzy will only get to F1 because of his money and he is not F1 standard, and has never really been a great front runner in A1.

Ok TT is a special character and he sometimes do not respect the people who are working hard such as the mechanics, but I tell you most drivers would like to drive in A1GP.