Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2010, 02:41 (Ref:2755471)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Check out the new Korean track !!

Karun testing the track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD5jH...ature=youtu.be
Old 7 Sep 2010, 04:45 (Ref:2755485)   #2
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I love this track, particularly the entry to the front straight.

I so hope this track is built in time for the upcoming race.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 05:22 (Ref:2755488)   #3
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lots of concrete for a purpose built track!
Old 7 Sep 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2755559)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Looks very mickey mouse. The only point of interest is a heavily cambered right hander about halfway round.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2755584)   #5
Birddog07
Racer

United States
Pittsburgh
Birddog07 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like alot of hairpins which could be smoothed out to make it more interesting. Looks better than some other new tracks. Elevation and backdrop are nice. He wasn't driving fast in the video at all so we'll have to wait for the first proper flying laps to really judge it.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2755663)   #6
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's certainly no bad track but nothing to really look forward to.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2755724)   #7
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 'permanent' circuit shouldn't need concrete barriers lining the track edge. Apart from disqualifying the venue from holding international motorcycle races (unless the Koreans don't care about rider safety in their domestic racing), the barriers will only damage cars and hurt drivers.

It makes a mockery of Herman Tilke's comment "For example, nowadays you need the run-off areas. The FIA will not accept tracks without the run-off." (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86442).

The layout is basically three 'squirts' and a lot of 'wiggles', to paraphrase late, great Australian touring car driver Ian 'Pete' Geoghegan (he described the original Calder Park circuit in Melbourne as "two squirts and a wiggle").

Even allowing for the video 'flattening' effect, the elevation changes look insignificant.

It's just another reason why new F1 circuit designers should consult F1 drivers and not a former used car trader.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 16:08 (Ref:2755765)   #8
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow look at the mountains in the background. How about dropping a racing circuit at the base of one? Lame.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 16:55 (Ref:2755785)   #9
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks good and looks like it could be a track that suits Mclaren more than Red Bull. One thing that is apparent from that video is how much better the
v10 engines sound than the current v8. Bring back the v10!
Old 7 Sep 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2755802)   #10
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
A 'permanent' circuit shouldn't need concrete barriers lining the track edge. Apart from disqualifying the venue from holding international motorcycle races (unless the Koreans don't care about rider safety in their domestic racing), the barriers will only damage cars and hurt drivers.
It's a permanent circuit that will eventually turn into a partially permanent street and roadcourse. If you'd take notice you'll see that the barriers at the section after T3 are far away and have enough if not far too much run off separating them from the track. That's the permanent part which can also be used on its own.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2755819)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The entire track looks absolutely awful in every possible way.

Nice mountains in the background though.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2755858)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jesus Christ.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 19:13 (Ref:2755868)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i dont know. from the quality to the video to the grayish skies and lack of multiple camera angles this whole promo video thing looks amateurish.

that said i have become so used to everything in F1 (all sports really) looking so crisp and over produced that my first reaction to anything not in HD is that it must be total pants. maybe this is an explanation to my feelings about this track so i'll try to stay optimistic.

also my impression of the barriers were there to cover up the ongoing work to the run off areas.

also Chandhock is a total warrior. first time in a red bull, on the weird tires, on an uncompleted/untested/unapproved track. how do you even get insurance for that? best thing about the video imo
Old 7 Sep 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2755942)   #14
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think people are being a bit too harsh. It's not Spa, but it's not Valencia, either. It doesn't seem bad, so I hope they get it finished in time.

I also believe that F1 fans like to cling to tradition a bit. I've often wondered if people would be so quick to praise Silverstone if they built it in a Middle Eastern desert and held the first race in 2008...
Old 7 Sep 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2755955)   #15
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Rabbit View Post
I think people are being a bit too harsh. It's not Spa, but it's not Valencia, either. It doesn't seem bad, so I hope they get it finished in time.
And yet neither of those had much flexibility in layout, being as how they are both reliant on their relationship to public infrastructure! This is yet another clean sheet circuit that manages to still, somehow, be about as exciting as drying paint.

Sure, there are a lot of strikes against a circuit which is still surrounded by earth and concrete on a grey day. Nonetheless, the only turn that seems to have character is that aforementioned off-camber right hander midway round. Maybe the route the cars take through some of the others will seem a little more exciting when run with finished curbs and slick tyres, but still...hmmph.

Silverstone with Bridge will always be pretty smashing. Mega corner. Silverstone without is kind of bland, though the Copse/Maggots/Becketts stretch is still a fair bit more entertaining than much Middle Eastern desert circuitry!
Old 7 Sep 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2755957)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Not every new build is bad. I quite like Istanbul, and I think im one of the only fans of the China track. Its just a shame that these tracks have these acres of run off which ruin the challenge.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2755999)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I also believe that F1 fans like to cling to tradition a bit. I've often wondered if people would be so quick to praise Silverstone if they built it in a Middle Eastern desert and held the first race in 2008...
So you think it is all down to tradition and nothing to do with uniform boring and unimaginative design then?
Old 8 Sep 2010, 02:24 (Ref:2756010)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Jacques, Yeongam is a whole heck of a lot closer to Valencia in the spectrum than it is to Spa.

Sodemo, I just don't find Shanghai to fit together as a whole. It has a number of more flowing turns, but then a few more angular ones that happen to be at critical points on the lap. Turns 9 and 10 foul up a lot of runs into Turn 11, which itself fouls up the run through 12 and 13 in its current form. Then you have that overly acute hairpin at 14 with the unnecessary kink at 15. Turn 16 should be loosened up some and made into an actual curve.

One thing I find particularly galling at Korea is that the road that gives a nice curve out of Turn 4 is actually there (the track layout from the original proposal), but like Fuji and Abu Dhabi, F1 will be using a ridiculous and pointless series of tight corners (basically a triple hairpin) instead.

I'm not sure that the straights into Turns 1 and 4 are quite long enough. It's really going to depend on the racing line through that long right-hander and that final kink to the left as to whether you can reasonably set up a pass going by the pits. Therefore, I'm only going to give Turn 3 as a definite overtaking spot for the entire circuit at this point.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 04:23 (Ref:2756028)   #19
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'm going to be cutting laps of this on my Xbox before the actual race.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2756084)   #20
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The circuit looks a long way from finished. The whole bitumen surface is depressed a few inches from all the kerbs suggesting that they still need to lay the very top surface.

Excitement level is very low after watching that vid. Even though it will likely be finished I cant see the venue ebing 100% ready and up to what we are told that Bernie frequently demands of other venues
Old 8 Sep 2010, 10:06 (Ref:2756102)   #21
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Yeh, I think this quite often.

What would people think if <classic venue> was designed today? Probably not so good.

I like the look of this, and I was highly critical of the layout on paper. I just think it's a nice mix of everything. I think seeing these modern day F1 cars fly through the middle section will be a decent challenge. Looks like alot of corners where if you have enough downforce, you'll only need to perhaps lift off, whereas others may need to dab some breaks. That's good!

Selby
Old 8 Sep 2010, 11:53 (Ref:2756132)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Sodemo, I just don't find Shanghai to fit together as a whole. It has a number of more flowing turns, but then a few more angular ones that happen to be at critical points on the lap. Turns 9 and 10 foul up a lot of runs into Turn 11, which itself fouls up the run through 12 and 13 in its current form. Then you have that overly acute hairpin at 14 with the unnecessary kink at 15. Turn 16 should be loosened up some and made into an actual curve.
Granted, Shanghai does have too many slow corners, but what saves it for me are three things...

1, they still have (some) gravel traps.
2, it often rains.
3, it has that brilliant banked right hander before the long straight.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:19 (Ref:2756379)   #23
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
So you think it is all down to tradition and nothing to do with uniform boring and unimaginative design then?
I never said all. I don't think all critics are basing it on tradition, and I don't think those that do base it solely on tradition.

Still, there are fans who cling to tradition, and will write anything off because it's new. For example (and yes, I realize no one did this), they'll watch one onboard lap and write the track off, but demand their Magny-Cours back.

Some of the new tracks aren't great, but some have a much worse reputation than they deserve while others get away easy, and I think it has a lot to do with tradition and location rather than good tracks/bad tracks. People go into races at those tracks telling themselves "I won't enjoy this," so they don't. I remember seeing 2007 overtaking stats and Bahrain had one of the largest numbers of overtakes that season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Jacques, Yeongam is a whole heck of a lot closer to Valencia in the spectrum than it is to Spa.
I don't disagree, but I'd like to see how the races go instead of just seeing a short video before I judge.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2756387)   #24
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
... For example (and yes, I realize no one did this), they'll watch one onboard lap and write the track off, but demand their Magny-Cours back.....
But Magny-Cours was a great track and got cut because it was in the middle of nowhere, not because it was a bad layout
Old 8 Sep 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2756450)   #25
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's anti-clockwise, so that makes a change.

What's with all the concrete walls? Are they there to hinder any invasion attempt by North Korea?