Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jan 2007, 07:42 (Ref:1829927)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jack Brabham + McLaren = Testing?

I was reading a very outdated issue of Motorsport News today and it had an interview with Jack Brabham on the 40th Anniversary of his thirs WDC. In the interview he says he was at the Honda factory taking a tour, and on this day Ayrton Senna was supposed to turn up and demonstrate a McLaren for guests and invited media. He says that after Senna failed to show up, he was asked if he would drive the car so as not to disapoint the people there. He says that the car was a turbo charged F1 with carbon brakes, so I think that makes it the MP4/4. MNews suggests that the test may have been in 1988 or 1989.

Now I don't want to call Sir Jack a liar, but in addition to that interview when they approached Ron Dennis about it he had no clue what they were talking about.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Did Sir Jack really test a McLaren 20 odd years after he retired?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:34 (Ref:1830007)   #2
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
be surprised if anyone here knew anything factual! Interesting interview though.

recent Damon Hill interview was a goodie!
Old 31 Jan 2007, 09:52 (Ref:1830028)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Got a feeling Sir Jack or a similar level legend certianly had a go in a V10 Honda powered car in 1989 or 1990? But I think it was a media test day or something.

However I may well be getting confused with the Williams Renault tests that involved James Hunt, Jacques Laffite and co around the same period!
Old 1 Feb 2007, 06:50 (Ref:1830816)   #4
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He repeated that somewhere Chatters I think in Motor Sport UK - speaking of Brabham & McLaren I do know he ran his 59 Cooper that won the 59 US GP in New Zealand the other day at the launch/announcement of the Mclaren movie....
Old 2 Feb 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1831607)   #5
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These modern day Raikkonens really are no good if they lob off the duties of chief engineer and team principal to others, then wonder why the level of excellence in those areas [read: McLaren] is insufficient to take the world titles!
Old 4 Feb 2007, 08:06 (Ref:1833045)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
When will the next WDC be won in a car bearing the drivers name ?.......never?
Old 4 Feb 2007, 08:14 (Ref:1833052)   #7
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
True Bender - an amazing achievement - as was what Bruce McLaren built with his F1 & Can Am business - I hope that movie does him justice....

Chatters - why dont you ask Sir Jack himself directly - go to his new website www.jack-brabham-engines.com and theres a section there for asking questions or if you have a shot of him or question on a particular car he will come back to you. I know he at least transcribes the answers which are posted as he's a director of he site/company and is in there every few days - give it a go.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 08:15 (Ref:1833054)   #8
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Chatters I think its under the your story tab on the site....
Old 4 Feb 2007, 10:55 (Ref:1833127)   #9
Dudley
Veteran

Dudley has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
When will the next WDC be won in a car bearing the drivers name ?.......never?
Oh it'll happen. But only if it's the driver's father that builds the team.

For instance, Piquet came very close in GP2 to doing that, even if it wasn't "his" team. It's not a massive stretch to imagine that possible for the next generation of drivers.

And if not that then there's always little known british driver James RedBull. *

* drivers existence may be fabricated