Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 27 Mar 2000, 14:22 (Ref:14716)   #1
Andy H
Racer

Andy H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I haven't hear a peep about this in the UK but here we go with an article from Autosport:

The decision as to where CART's first race in Europe for more than a decade will be held has been postponed. A European racetrack will host a round of the CART series in 2001, but the question mark still hangs over which.

The governing body of the Champ Car series was to decide between the East German Lausitzring and Rockingham in England. However, CART could not reach a satisfactory conclusion by the close of play on Friday, and have set Monday as the date for an announcement.

CART CEO Andrew Craig apologised to those who had been kept waiting, one of whom was CART team owner and Rockingham investor Gerry Forsythe.

"We were told that a decision on whether CART would run in Rockingham or the Lausitzring would be made today. We met for two hours and didn't get an answer," said a frustrated Forsythe.

"We recognise that from the promoter's standpoints the decision needs to be made quickly, but the board needed more time to consider the proposals," said Craig.

Please please be in the UK please please please grovel grovel

Old 30 Mar 2000, 12:35 (Ref:14717)   #2
Andy H
Racer

The update is we still have no decision. It seems CART want to run the European race in the Spring/Summer when the weather will be good, but this conicides with the busiest part of the US schedule.

If no slot can be found the European race may be put back to either 2002 or 2003.

Boo hiss.
Old 13 Apr 2000, 13:55 (Ref:14718)   #3
Andy H
Racer

No real news still:

the story popped up on Ceefex yesterday, this version said UK or Germany for 2001 with the loser likely to also get a race from 2002.

Come on CART make your mind up, you know the UK must have it.
Old 15 Apr 2000, 13:04 (Ref:14719)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
According to Autosport, there will be no decision for two or three months (if at all) as they are struggling to find a suitable date which fits with their schedule, as well as European weather. Don't hold your breath for an early addition of a European race.
Old 15 Apr 2000, 19:57 (Ref:14720)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today's Toronto paper, which announces the race in Montery next year, says that the Rockingham race is virtually a Done Deal for 2001 season...Germany less likely for 2002. In this article it is stated that the space would be made by cutting out several not so popular US venues, e.g. Homestead, Nazareth and Mid-Ohio. Ovals all, you will note! The race in Montery (Mexico) will be held very early, possibly the first race of the season, and that is about all it says. I will certainly be there, although I suspect My Gil will have retired by then.
Old 15 Apr 2000, 21:19 (Ref:14721)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope that's right Liz If so, I guess we'll all be organising a trip to Rockingham some time next year!!
Old 20 Apr 2000, 12:47 (Ref:14722)   #7
Andy H
Racer

According to the new Autosport:

still no decision for a few months but we might have no European round at all as some team owners are not keen for a European race.

there was a quote from Chip Ganassi saying sponsors wanted domestic exposure and they should also be concentrating on boosting flagging attendances at home

it seems potty to me look at Australia that's the best attended round on the whole calendar and a huge success

I think Europe would be the same so why the chuff won't they give it a go and come over for just one round.

I've dropped CART an e-mail to this effect, awaiting my reply.....
Old 15 May 2000, 13:51 (Ref:14723)   #8
Andy H
Racer

I never did get any reply from CART except 'your e-mail has been forwarded to the relevant person'. Not very impressive.

Meanwhile a decision on whether to come to Europe has probably gone back another month while CART considers the effects the EU tobacco advertising ban would have.

Rockingham have also mentioned the possibility of taking the Lausitzring to court under anti-competition laws for having government funding or something.

Is CART ever going to get to the UK?
Old 17 May 2000, 12:41 (Ref:14724)   #9
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

jvilleneuve2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone sign up for the membership for rockingham?, at the autosport show?
Old 1 Jun 2000, 12:06 (Ref:14725)   #10
Andy H
Racer

Anyone still here?

a decision may be made this weekend when the CART bods meet at the Milwaukee race. Maybe then we will find out if CART comes to Europe and where it will be.

for those interested there's also a good article in the latest Autosport on how the construction of Rockingham is progressing.
Old 3 Jun 2000, 20:15 (Ref:14726)   #11
Rockingham Supporter
Rookie

Rockingham Supporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jvilleneuve2000:
Did anyone sign up for the membership for rockingham?, at the autosport show?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I signed up online and have since been to the first meeting for the Rockingham Supporters Club, - The Indy 500 at Corby.
I have made a full report of this meeting on my web page - www.rockingham.org.uk

Ian Watson

Old 6 Jun 2000, 22:29 (Ref:15923)   #12
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

Just been to the Autosport website and it said this,

CART to finally make it to Europe in UK and Germany

Reports are escalating that the UK could have its own CART race at the Rockingham Oval in 2001. Speculation was rife at the Milwaukee race this weekend that next year’s calendar will include a date at the under construction Rockingham speedway and the new Lausitzring Oval in Germany on consecutive weekends in September or October.

This week’s Autosport Magazine (08/06/00) has full comment and analysis on how the supposed deal came to fruition. The CART board is said to have approved the European dates after both venues threatened to put proposals to rivals IRL if the CART deal did not go through. However the full calendar must be put to CART’s franchise board which is made up of all the team owners, for final approval.

Glad I got that membership now!!!!!!
Old 7 Jun 2000, 10:36 (Ref:16037)   #13
Andy H
Racer

Similar story on Seventh Gear:

CART appears leaning towards to a deal that will see events at both the Lausitzring (in Germany) and Rockingham (in England) speedways now under construction added to the 2001 schedule, most likely in the Fall. CART's Public Board of Directors has apparently given its tacit approval of adding both European races to the schedule, but final approval must be obtained from the Franchise Board of Directors.

Speculation in the Milwaukee paddock has it that, in order to make room for the two additional races (plus the travel to and from Europe), that CART is considering dropping some of its less successful events, perhaps going so far as to use the hefty sanctioning fees from the two European races to buy out the remaining year on the existing contracts at Nazareth, Gateway and Homestead. However, at least one board member we talked to in Milwaukee pooh-poohed that scenario.

If, however, the two European races and the previously announced race in Monterrey, Mexico are added to the schedule, that would give the 2001 calendar a whopping 22 races.

Earlier this year, Andrew Craig informed Detroit promoter IMG that CART would not renew its contract for the Detroit Grand Prix on the Belle Isle circuit, citing the substandard paddock facilities
Old 7 Jun 2000, 11:31 (Ref:16048)   #14
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be at Rockingham for CART, hope the deal gets done.. otherwise lots of people are going to lose plenty of cash!! Also are they going to run the DTM cars on the german oval?? That should be amazing...

What else could we run at Rockingham - apart from Eurocars..
Old 7 Jun 2000, 11:48 (Ref:16052)   #15
Andy H
Racer

Dan

the ALMS have been rumoured to be looking at running there next year, in addition to a visit to Silverstone.

Apart from that I don't know, there has been talk of them going for NASCAR.

Mind, if the DTM can run on oval, perhaps the BTCC could do it (not sure if it would work though?)
Old 7 Jun 2000, 13:43 (Ref:16068)   #16
jvilleneuve2000
Racer

Rockingham does have an infield circuit, I have read that they have been talking to all of the national racing series. I would expect things like the powertour, btcc, premier series ect, all to be held there, the btcc could even follow the dtm and race on the oval. Then there is the possibilty of the CART and Alms race, and possibly other international series.
Has everyone forgot about the NASCAR british series????
it has closed the entry list, as all of the cars have been brought. I have also heard that if they dont get the CART race then the IRL is a possibilty.
I think i will be going to all of them!!
Old 27 Jun 2000, 18:07 (Ref:19863)   #17
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Autosport, Rockingham has got a spot in September on the provisional calendar
Old 28 Jun 2000, 11:54 (Ref:19929)   #18
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent. I will most certainly be there.

Old 28 Jun 2000, 13:12 (Ref:19956)   #19
Andy H
Racer

September 16th is the date to keep clear in your diaries.
Old 28 Jun 2000, 15:27 (Ref:19973)   #20
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt that'll clash with Goodwood.... why does it always work out this way!!!!
Old 28 Jun 2000, 16:59 (Ref:19989)   #21
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I noticed that too. I'm afraid to say that Goodwood gets priority for me.

On the other hand, as Bobby Rahal and Danny Sullivan have competed at the Goodwood Revival, is it too much to hope that a swift juggling of dates could see some more American stars showing up at the old circuit, if the Revival was scheduled to an adjacent weekend?
Old 28 Jun 2000, 22:19 (Ref:20051)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everything happens at the same time! But Goodwood will have to be priority for me too. *SIGH*