Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Jun 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2705633)   #26
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Many small UK sportscar manufactuers buy-in engines from major manufactuers particularly if they want to sell cars in the US.

Is it a sure thing the Panoz will be in the ALMS next season?

It is to debut at Petit this year, reportedly.

L.P.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2705662)   #27
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Panoz vs Corvette will be interesting!
Old 8 Jun 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2706618)   #28
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Official press release, via ALMS:
http://americanlemans.com/primary1.php?cat=news|14848

No actual photos of the car and no racing news... Car will continue to be sold (or maybe it'll start being sold) through 2013.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 10:57 (Ref:2706620)   #29
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
They couldn't have made it any uglier if they had tried to, now could they?
Old 8 Jun 2010, 11:11 (Ref:2706630)   #30
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
They've taken the inspiration model and beaten it with the ugly stick about 3 thousand times.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2706631)   #31
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
First real life picture on http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-4590.html
Old 8 Jun 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2706635)   #32
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
They've taken the inspiration model and beaten it with the ugly stick about 3 thousand times.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2706651)   #33
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Shakedown for the race car in September, 1 car in Petit Le Mans this year and 2 cars in ALMS + Le Mans next year.
source: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-4592.html

More pictures on http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...?page=467&np=0
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:18 (Ref:2706661)   #34
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Shakedown for the race car in September, 1 car in Petit Le Mans this year and 2 cars in ALMS + Le Mans next year.
source: http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-4592.html

More pictures on http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...?page=467&np=0
Great news! Milner says its a 3 year program in that article as well.

They're starting with the 6.2L Corvette LS9 engine; engine development will be done primarily by PTG, presumably with some help from GM/Corvette.

Customer cars are an eventual goal.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2706662)   #35
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
Great news! Milner says its a 3 year program in that article as well.

They're starting with the 6.2L Corvette LS9 engine; engine development will be done primarily by PTG, presumably with some help from GM/Corvette.

Customer cars are an eventual goal.
are 6.2L engines legal in gt2?
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:27 (Ref:2706666)   #36
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post

not the sexiest thing i've seen, but i don't find it to be too terribly ugly...wait....just looked again...it had potential but they did use the larger of the ugly sticks on hand.

it better be fast.

regardless....i'm looking forward to seeing it on it's home track in the fall, if she can make it!
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2706667)   #37
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
are 6.2L engines legal in gt2?
Engines up to 8 liters are legal in GT2, but the bigger they are, the more choked they are by restrictors.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:37 (Ref:2706669)   #38
GT2-R
Racer

GT2-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The front has a bit the Panoz GT1 look which is not too bad in my opinion. But the back is just....ouch! But OK, we should have 2 extra GT2's for ALMS 2011 which is not a bad thing.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2706674)   #39
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! Go panoz go nuts Batmobile comes again. the LMP01 was that the name of the big prototype one? Was wicked awesome that sound it made, it was quick a bit. The abruzzi is just cool and nasty a wicked good one let's see it run maybe in Visteon livery again? I know that won't happen
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:42 (Ref:2706675)   #40
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, what an ugly car. It looks like they've taken an axe to it or something.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2706680)   #41
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The front end is entirely too high, and ugly as sin at that. The rear end wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't attached to that awful front it. It will be interesting to see what the car looks like in GT2 trim. I thought that the reason Corvette went with a 5.5 liter V8 was because that was the new maximum displacement for GT2. That said, the Viper had 8.2 or 8.3 liters or something, didn't it? Was that an IMSA exception? If they want to sell the race car into Europe, it better be built to European specs. I'm excited to have two more screaming V8s in the ALMS next year. Finally, I'm confused as to why they are building the car for Europe only.

Chris
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2706681)   #42
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, to me is absolutely fantastic. Have you noticed that the term "beautiful" and "ugly" is very subjective.
Please I want to see the racing version.

By the way, why not a version (LMP) of this car, is just do some modifications.

Excellent JOB, Mr. Don Panoz.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 12:59 (Ref:2706682)   #43
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Finally, I'm confused as to why they are building the car for Europe only.
AFAIK there are major differences in terms of pedestrian safety in the European and American regulations for road cars - and with a front like that, I could very well imagine this car failing to comply with the American regs.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2706789)   #44
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's a Panoz, being ugly is part of their charm.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2706804)   #45
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
It's a Panoz, being ugly is part of their charm.
Yeah, I agree, but did they have to make it look like a 1930s Hoover Vacuum Cleaner?

DK
Old 8 Jun 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2706808)   #46
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it's absolutely badass! It definitely can't be mistaken for anything else. I will say that it needs bigger wheels with lower profile tires, a complaint I always had with the Esperante.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 16:59 (Ref:2706821)   #47
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
I love it. It's a Panoz allright. So completely different to anything else is bound to have people in discussion over it's estethics.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2706878)   #48
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its really shocking, what a look !! now wonder how the racing PTG version will be, the car is too big..
Old 8 Jun 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2706975)   #49
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I quite like it! And actually, those opper vents on the front remind me of the three nose vents you would see open on the front of a Ferrari 250 GTO when it was in competition form.

If that REAMS material works as well as they claim, Panoz to make a pretty penny fabricating things out of that stuff. And the non-shattering aspect of it is certainly a positive when on the race track.
Old 9 Jun 2010, 01:53 (Ref:2707040)   #50
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I like it! Its not to everyone's tastes and I wouldnt say its classically beautiful but then again Panoz are good in that they certainly stand apart in the looks department. Glad to hear that PTG will be racing this, great news, cant wait til the first racer hits the track.

I see in the pics on E-I that Dr Ulrich seems interested......