Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Where will the WEC US round 2017 be held?
Circuit of the Americas (early September? with PCW?) 17 36.96%
Indy - plenty of history and, more importantly, plenty of run off 6 13.04%
Montreal - close enough to the US border and would serve US N-E audience very well 8 17.39%
Road America - the only right choice but lots of 'upgrading' to do to please the FIA blue blazers 7 15.22%
no US (or Canadian) round at all - the WEC doesn't need a race there anyway... 6 13.04%
somewhere else in North or South America (Brazil???) 2 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Mar 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3717466)   #276
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm getting more depressed each day that I can't go to Silverstone for the double-header this year!
Old 10 Mar 2017, 17:37 (Ref:3717837)   #277
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...r-lmp1-return/

So basically if Peugeot gets their way, Toyota will drop out and vice-versa Peugeot won't join.
Old 10 Mar 2017, 19:12 (Ref:3717863)   #278
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

So basically if Peugeot gets their way, Toyota will drop out and vice-versa Peugeot won't join.
More of this here :
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...-going-on.html
Old 11 Mar 2017, 08:43 (Ref:3717936)   #279
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Dsc putting to bed the bad reporting from other media outlets.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3717975)   #280
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post

More exaggeration from S365.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 17:49 (Ref:3718018)   #281
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Exaggeration on Dagys' part or not, I can see it happening. The ACO are on a tight rope right now. They already PO'd/alienated Audi Sport over the ERS incentive that would've forced them to run a gasoline engine, which Audi Sport and VAG considered redundant unless they could go a different route with their hybrid system (and with Audi spending so much time and money on a battery hybrid system, I didn't see that happening).

Toyota don't want the hybrids dumbed down just to get Peugeot or anyone else in. And chances are, according to Hindy at Midweek Motorsports FB page, Porsche might pull out soon, irrespective of what the ACO do.

The whole ERS incentive rules and pushing for huge hybrid systems out of the gate, while also jacking up costs with the fuel flow formula which combined with the hybrids to fuel a huge tech/R&D war that frustrated Audi, and is also seemingly getting on Porsche's and Toyota's nerves with what direction that the future rules might go.

Also, the ACO need someone to replace Audi or anyone else who might leave. And yes, I'm damn sure aware that the ACO have pulled the nationalistic pride card more than a few times over the years, including the original diesel rules which intended to get Peugeot or Renault back to LM. Of course, they didn't anticipate Audi Sport stealing that march a year before Peugeot's return. But the rules, due to the development costs involved, have discouraged other manufacturers from entering.

I know that a lot of people what to blame Audi Sport and Porsche Motorsport for dumping upteen hundreds of millions of dollars into their programs over the past few years, but what did you expect them to do, treat this like a BOP formula where they could get away with spending as little as possible a la DPI? They wanted to win, as did Toyota. And with the ACO's format, it was basically all in or go home, with very little middle ground.

Of course, that's what I didn't like about the turn that the current formula took. The end of 2014, as everyone now understood the rules and how to exploit them, opened a Pandora's box.

I said this in 2014, at the same time I said it about IMSA's combined LMP2 and DP formula: If they get it right, it'll be great, if they don't, it could be a disaster waiting to happen. And there's not much margin for error.

Now we have history repeating itself, barely three years later, with the ACO in a tight rope/damned if they do, damned if they don't situation.

Sadly, though, just like with World War II being a legacy of problems left unresolved from World War I, and the world is still facing problems left un-fixed from both World Wars, if we don't learn from history, we're doomed to repeat it.

And Sadly, this is symptomatic of how the ACO do things: come up with a new formula to replace a tired one, things ramp up, then the sport goes bankrupt when factory teams decide to leave/scale back/take a break. However, in the past, this usually happens every 10-15 years or so. But this tech war has accelerated things, especially as things already weren't hunky-doory back in 2014 to begin with.

And even though I respect people like Graham Goodwin, Marshall Pruett, Hindy and to a lesser extent John Dagys (he goes a bit overboard with the bombast to get people to view articles that often don't actually live up to the headlines, especially since he left Fox Sports and went independent), sadly, the future of the WEC and the LM24 isn't in their hands. It'd probably be better if it was, but it's not. They can only let us know what's going on as they find out, and they have no control over what the ACO, FIA, and the teams do.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 20:19 (Ref:3718048)   #282
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Drop the hybrid incentive, simple. Or is it? The ACO doesn't need to go super cheap just to attract it's French relative, Peugeot imo. Give rules that make it easy to jump in and be competitive instead. That's what the gist of the story is.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3718053)   #283
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I'm getting more depressed each day that I can't go to Silverstone for the double-header this year!
I know that feeling, I don´t like that Easter date. But I booked yesterday my Eurostar for Spa
Old 11 Mar 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3718055)   #284
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Drop the hybrid incentive, simple. Or is it? The ACO doesn't need to go super cheap just to attract it's French relative, Peugeot imo. Give rules that make it easy to jump in and be competitive instead. That's what the gist of the story is.
They can make things easier by removing the second ERS and making 2-4 MJ more competitive.
Old 11 Mar 2017, 22:51 (Ref:3718068)   #285
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
That's the best way short term to fix the problems is reduce the dependence on the ERS incentive. Granted, I'll still argue that the ACO could've saved themselves some headaches by keeping the 2000mm wide cars, the use of sonic air restrictors and/or reduced reliance on the fuel flow meters, and sticking to their original promise (it seems) of having 2-8mj being equally as competitive and setting bar lower for hybrids (4-6 MJ max for the first rules cycle).

Trying to encourage the factory teams to go all out for the biggest hybrids out of the box got the ball rolling, and it opened the door to the rapid and extremely expensive development/questions on ROI we've seen.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 04:35 (Ref:3718114)   #286
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
They can make things easier by removing the second ERS and making 2-4 MJ more competitive.
If you have a single kers, why can't you have another? It's not rocket science if you're able to do one on the front axle to do one on the rear. Or just leave it be and equalize them in 'mj classes' by dropping the incentive like I said. The incentive was there to entice manufacturers to use higher level hybrids and they were onboard with it. That talk about how that drove budgets up is silly imo. Regenerative braking has been around since the 90's.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 20:16 (Ref:3718243)   #287
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
ERS systems haven't driven up the cost in and of themselves. The incentive on their development, the high bar set and the initially relatively short time to try and get there is what drove up cost. Not to mention that the ACO restricted other areas of development that similar gains in performance could've been made for less expense and still be road relevant.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 21:49 (Ref:3718257)   #288
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
ERS systems haven't driven up the cost in and of themselves. The incentive on their development, the high bar set and the initially relatively short time to try and get there is what drove up cost. Not to mention that the ACO restricted other areas of development that similar gains in performance could've been made for less expense and still be road relevant.
I agree with you that the explosion of cost was the high bar set and the initially relatively short time to development the ERS systems.
What areas do you think the ACO should have liberated to gains similar performance at a lower cost?
Old 12 Mar 2017, 21:59 (Ref:3718258)   #289
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
That's kinda funny to me. Audi spent the most money yet had the least amount of hybrid So what was all the money spent on since they only had 1 ers? Was it the diesel powertrain? Aerodynamics? All the talk from Peugeot or whoever is making the comments that one ers will drop the costs needs to take another look.
Old 12 Mar 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3718266)   #290
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That's funny, considering that you and Toyota plead poverty, yet Toyota's budget is probably double now what it was in 2013, and they want hybrid system development to continue unabated. Which would match what Porsche's budget was over what it would've been pre-2013 as well as equal the rate that Audi increased their budget to go with the rules change as far as percentage increase.

You still seem to be ignoring that the rules incentivized huge hybrid systems (IMO, too much) and basically painted everyone into the 8MJ/gasoline engine or it's equivalents. And originally, they had three years to get there, not until 2020 like now, though that damage has been done.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 02:09 (Ref:3718288)   #291
TF110
Veteran

United States
Hey uh, you're guessing on the budget part and you're getting personal with your comments. I think you should read the comment for what it is instead of as an attack on Audi.

It's possible to do 8mj with two kers', so you don't have to do the f1 level ers-h. Every major manufacturer has a hybrid car that uses kers, even the Peugeot Citroën group. I don't care about the incentive to do higher electric energy. I even said they should drop it. But the notion that it's all hybrids' fault that the budgets are high is misleading. That's why I used the Audi example.

They were undoubtedly the biggest spending team but they had the least amount of hybrid power. Peugeot or the ACO, whoever, is leaning towards one energy recovery system (or type of system). Well that was what Audi was going with but that didn't keep their budget low. So if going hybrid is so expensive why is it that the cheaper teams had two ers's to Audi's one? So no, it's not just the hybrid.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 03:01 (Ref:3718289)   #292
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Toyota's budget is double what it was in 2012 when they ran one car. That's only around 33% more than Peugeot's budget in 2011. It's not like the old rules were exactly dragging in manufacturers either.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3718361)   #293
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
You guys seem to be forgetting TF110's comments that TMG's budget for the WEC is 1/4 of what it was in F1. If we consider that they spent damn near $400 million a year at times, their current budget is nearly $100 million. That's about $15 million more than Audi in 2013, and easily twice what Toyota had spent prior to 2014.

Also when you consider that Porsche totally redesigned their car only one season into the WEC and played all kinds of aero trickery from the beginning, their budget had to be at least as big as what Audi were working with. Not to mention that both are owned by VAG, one of the biggest spenders in motorsport, period.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3718421)   #294
TF110
Veteran

United States
Not a quarter of the budget at it's highest. Pretty sure they were referring to the last season iirc, which was 2009. Toyota dropped the budget to around $300 million around the 2007 or 2008 season when Pascal Vasselon took over (he made the 1/4 comments). It's established by most of the guys in the know that Toyota doesn't spend 9 figures.
Old 13 Mar 2017, 20:55 (Ref:3718449)   #295
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Even if Toyota aren't spending 100 million dollars, I'm betting that they're spending more than they'd want to. And I'm betting that it's still a significant portion of both Audi and Porsche budgets has been.

I'm not in favor of having teams risk having to spend over $100 million a season just to have a shot to win, but rapid development brings that about. That was the Pandora's box that the incentive for big hybrid systems, having three years to get there, and a prospective even higher jump after that brought about.

Not to mention that IMO, 2006-2013 I feel that LMP1 cars achieved a state of mechanical and technological perfection that any big jump in performance would be hugely expensive. It's kinda like infantry rifles today, being based on 60-70 year old designs just upgraded with modern sights and built quality. Any big jump from that will undoubtedly be expensive for the armed forces of the world. Same with the modern LMP1 prototype racer.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3720222)   #296
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New liveries for the AF Corse Ferraris

Those blue accents look kinda out of place to me. Well, at least there won't be people confusing them for Ford GTs
Old 20 Mar 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3720228)   #297
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentley speed 8 View Post
New liveries for the AF Corse Ferraris

Those blue accents look kinda out of place to me. Well, at least there won't be people confusing them for Ford GTs
I like this livery, I do not like the last year livery, there was more blue the last year.
Old 20 Mar 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3720276)   #298
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Aye, definitely an improvement on last year's!
Old 24 Mar 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3721162)   #299
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yikes! Won't mistake these for anything else.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/c...ries-revealed/
Old 24 Mar 2017, 13:22 (Ref:3721163)   #300
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That Ferrari livery is a mess. I like the new red, but the rest of it just looks scrappy.