Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 12 Mar 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3217486)   #51
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Despite what people say about NIMBYism etc, this appears to have less to do with that than it does to do with the operators operating within their planning permission constraints. If they are ignoring them (or if the new operators were not aware of them) then they are being irresponsible and threatening the continuance of motorsport for all of us, as well as their own business.

We all want motorsport to continue but we all have a responsibility to act within the law - we are a minority interest sport and an easy target for environmentalists etc; its up to us to protect our sport for the future by not bringing trouble upon ourselves.
Agreed 100%
Old 12 Mar 2013, 15:12 (Ref:3217519)   #52
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
107Db at MIRA

Bladders.....
Old 12 Mar 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3217558)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
We all want motorsport to continue but we all have a responsibility to act within the law - we are a minority interest sport and an easy target for environmentalists etc; its up to us to protect our sport for the future by not bringing trouble upon ourselves.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3217560)   #54
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unless the clubs running the meeting comply to every part of the site conditions you run a real chance of grief/closing down.

My class (Sports Libre over 2 litres) I think is allowed 108dB, I know I hit 106 at 4500rpm. I have two large silencers to kill the noise.

If I were over then I don't race. It is my responsibility to meet the regs.

I dread to think what two top flight fullers hit down a drag strip..but it sure hurts when the sound waves come up the embankment at Santa Pod.

On a hillclimb the tyre squeal is travelling more/irritating more than the exhaust.
(a grumpy villager told us/the Local authority standing in his garden at the time of a race)
Old 13 Mar 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3217700)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Couple of points, Max you say I am incorrect about running on public roads but hillclimber tells us his home track runs through a village which sounds like a public road to me!!!!! Also someone likened it to Donington yet that's at the foot of an international runway so hardly the same at all.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3217718)   #56
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No mate, 911 didn't say it was running through a village, he said it was surrounded by expensive villages...different

Andy97 is spot on. We may like the noise of our cars, the majority of the public can tolerate it occasionally, as many others detest it as love it. Live and let live, I'd rather have massively silenced cars to race than not race at all.

Last edited by midgetman; 13 Mar 2013 at 09:07.
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3217819)   #57
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My Club's track is Loton Park not far from Welshpool/Shrewsbury ( www.hdlcc )
The track is a mile long and threads through Sir Michael Leighton's deer park.
The entrance to the track/park is right off the road to Lake Bala and the same road goes through the village of Auberbury. Homes there are across that road to the park entrance.

They are close.

We are tolerated well by the villagers, loved by the local Pub and B&B's and stick to the 40 mph limit through the village.
We are noisey and smelly, the cars are too, but it is a bit of live and let live.

The hillclimbs on the Channel Isles are real closed roads from the sea shore and is the place i saw my very first hillclimb while on holiday there.

After that gave up on Drag Racing and hot roads!

Just got a partition to save Mallory Park on email, so the fight is on!

As said, better to be racing quietly than never again.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3218445)   #58
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure about that.
Old 14 Mar 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3218474)   #59
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
I have only just come cross this thread. From about 1956 to the day I left the UK, it was a favourite. Crowd numbers used to be huge - especially for many of the NSCC bank holiday meetings. "Bartons" used to run an excursion coach from the old Huntingdon St bus station in Nottingham (we had no family car!) and it was a real treat to go.

Once I had wheels of my own, I went even more often.

One of the attractions (then) was that with a camera with no telephoto lens, you could park yourself at the hairpin exit all afternoon and still get good pics.

Purely from a spectator's point of view, the short track meanst that you never have an empty track for long and lapping slower traffic adds to the excitement.

Silverstone? Aintree? Waste of time as you could never see much and you were too far away anyway. Thruxton? Croft? Not much better

Oulton had possibilities but I only spectated once, ditto Brands.

Donington, Cadwell and now Goodwood? Love them... They have character and charm, but at Mallory, you always felt as though you were involved and in that respect, it was unique. I haven't been for a few years though, but hope it does survive and I'll try and get there again in 2014.
You know I think that about sums things up perfectly. (Except that Croft as it is now may be better than you remember. Interestingly it too has 'local challenges' to deal with.)
Old 14 Mar 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3218617)   #60
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an aspect nobody has mentioned yet. Weekday trackdays, cars running treaded road tyres on a racing surface = weekday tyre squeal from 9am to dusk.

Thoughts?
Old 15 Mar 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3218722)   #61
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes, annoying in a word. Someone said about going quieter and quieter so where does this lead, electric car racing? Then you would still have complaints about tyre squeal.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 08:25 (Ref:3218741)   #62
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yup completely agree about track day tyre squeal.

You can see exactly why the locals get fed up as every year another X days get added. Locally to me they were called "driver tuition days" or "tyre manufacturer days" or other innocuous names - it means the same thing, just another day with cars going round making noise.

So when it comes to "proper" use - I.e. us lads hooning round on a full-on race day - the residents have had quite enough of noise thank you, and when one of us steps out of line it's "ton of bricks" time! Especially when race days tend to be Sundays, the "day of rest", or the circuit has gone outside its planning guidelines. Add in the traffic caused by race day, the noise of our Saturday night parties............

I reckon it's not one thing that causes complaints, but a continual drip-drip-drip.
Old 15 Mar 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3219051)   #63
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise is ongoing issue for all circuits and circuit management must work with local residents and councils. MSV now have noise management plans agreed with both the local district council and parish councils close to each circuit who do liaise with local residents on noise issues. These plans are reviewed annually to ensure all concrens are acted on.The key issue I have found ( I am a member of the Snetterton Circuit Liaison Group ) is communication between the circuit, councils and the complaining local resident. There is nothing worse than a resident who has complained thinking they are being ignored. A tight protocol is needed to ensure all complaints are acted on within an agreed timeframe. We have seen a reduction in complaints now local residents understand more of how noise is managed and the circuit are listening to them, they also now understand that more restrictive controls could impact the viability of the circuit which does add value to the local economy.
MSV have also setup residents websites for each of their circuits detailing the type of track activity - noise levels graded etc so they can plan their hols when its a red day - unsilenced !!!
There is one thing that is difficult to control - the weather, as atmospheric conditions do impact noise levels - wind direction, cloud cover etc.
Environmentalists do have an easy target in Motor Sport, but if circuits do work together with local residents in good communication we can only hope the the sport we all love is not seriously impacted
Old 16 Mar 2013, 06:26 (Ref:3219215)   #64
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Here's an aspect nobody has mentioned yet. Weekday trackdays, cars running treaded road tyres on a racing surface = weekday tyre squeal from 9am to dusk.

Thoughts?

Road tyres will always create more noise than a 'competition' type tyre,perhaps thats a starting point. There are always an abundance of decent worn tyres as racers cast offs,good market?
Old 16 Mar 2013, 09:07 (Ref:3219302)   #65
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I like diddys post its good to hear a sensible approach being taken by MSV.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:38 (Ref:3221211)   #66
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Dunno if this has been posted up already but no harm in giving it a bump if it has, lets get some more signatures on it as its still a long way short of the 100,000 needed.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46739
Old 19 Mar 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3221394)   #67
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yes, annoying in a word. Someone said about going quieter and quieter so where does this lead, electric car racing? Then you would still have complaints about tyre squeal.
There will come a point i fear (and another dear CoC thinks whose birthday it is today )....when this sport will be seen as fox hunting is seen now...

"Would you believe it....these horseless carriages they actually used to race around on tracks....i mean Rupert...can you imagine that....all that noise....I couldn't even hear myself above my own wax jacket (that was made in some third world country by a child who earns 26p a month) ...I mean ya...pollution...you know....its wrong isnt it?... I recycle..yeah..i mean....all of last seasons collection go to Sue Ryder ..I mean...Racing....noise?....what about all the lovely squirrels and wildlife...and the poor little bunnies? ...ohhh that reminds me....must get some more of that game soup....loved it at the Polo club last week....yes those dirty cars polluting for fun?...how very very victorian and so wrong!

Now....whose for a game of blind mans bluff before I take Mama and Papa to the local cricket club in my four by four eco friendly diesel Chelsea tractor (with private plate) that has my children in it that I cannot keep under control and who scream and scream while running up and down in Waitrose?"

anyone?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3221741)   #68
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Waitrose?!!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 14:53 (Ref:3221753)   #69
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd be the first one in this area, nearest one is 15 miles away.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3221760)   #70
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Waitrose?!!
Quote from a 'posh person'
"Oh I do like Sainsburys - it keeps all of the common people out of Waitrose!"
Old 20 Mar 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3221811)   #71
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
The FACTS regarding Mallory Park
1. The circuit is not up for sale to developers and the owner has not received any offers for it.
2. The local authority has no intention of closing the circuit down but they would like the circuit to stick to its current noise level restrictions (105db)

I think the gossip (and dare I say it, ill informed speculation) is more likely to antagonise the council and hinder their negotiations with the circuit operators.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3221822)   #72
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
The FACTS regarding Mallory Park
1. The circuit is not up for sale to developers and the owner has not received any offers for it.
2. The local authority has no intention of closing the circuit down but they would like the circuit to stick to its current noise level restrictions (105db)

I think the gossip (and dare I say it, ill informed speculation) is more likely to antagonise the council and hinder their negotiations with the circuit operators.
My mind is made up......don't confuse me with Facts!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3221823)   #73
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
Well said. The statements I've seen issued by the Council seem very level headed and are not looking to close Mallory down. As far as I'm aware they fully support the circuit as well as the residents.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3222118)   #74
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
But are you not missing the point, if the circuit is not allowed to operate fully then perhaps it will be unviable so whether the council and locals don't want it to shut that may be the end result if the figures don't balance.
Old 21 Mar 2013, 08:15 (Ref:3222135)   #75
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I know what you're saying Al but from what I've read the point is that the circuit has been blatantly operating outside of the limitations laid down in 1985, which were set in place to keep the locals happy. Now, due to complaints, the council have been pushed into reinforcing that.
I'm a big fan of Mallory, it's my local circuit and one that I cycled to as a youngster. My sister lived in Kirkby Mallory for a number of years and I enjoyed the free access that her residents ticket allowed me. I wouold be extremely saddened if the circuit was forced to close due to lack of income. However the ciruit operators have to act responsibly, if they need more operational days to survive, they have to seek to get their planning constraints changed before doing so. Blatantly operating outside of these constraints will give great ammunition to the Anti-Mallory campaigners and will not win them any sympathy from those who haven't got a vested interest.