Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 2007, 00:25 (Ref:1995525)   #101
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
The fact that the EK drives one? No - but the length rules might be affectc because it's BTC-T.
Only that it's the sport hatch - so again, 3dr not allowed in S2000. Check the length of the 5dr for comparison I guess.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 10:21 (Ref:1995707)   #102
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
3 door cars are allowed to S2000 in BTCC, STCC, RTCC, DTC, ADAC Procar, Finnish TCC... You can't find this 4/5 door rule from FIA S2000 rules either, so I guess it must be some kind of agreement between WTCC teams/manufacturers. However, 3d 307, Civic and Corolla have raced in ETCC/WTCC.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 11:55 (Ref:1995760)   #103
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
BTCC don't allow 3-door S2000, which is why Team Dynamics had to build a hybred of S-type 5-door sheel and R-type engine.

I've never seen the 4-door requirement in writing but I've been told it by enough people who should know not to question it.

The ETCC/WTCC 3-door Civic has a dispensation dating back to the birth of S2000 and based on it being stop-gap measure until being replaced by the as then unreleased new-shape Accord. Of course, Honda pulled out before they ever raced the Accord but the dispensation still stands.

307 and Corolla had similar dispensations to run at WTCC level based on being locally homologated.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1995781)   #104
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
BTCC don't allow 3-door S2000, which is why Team Dynamics had to build a hybred of S-type 5-door sheel and R-type engine.
But shouldn't STCC cars (like 3-door Astra GTC) be allowed in BTCC too, or is this just rubbish?
Old 24 Aug 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1995831)   #105
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In BTCC, but not nescesarily in WTCC. At Anderstorp for instance, Dahlgrens Volvo, witch is homologated in Sweden, was not eligible for points in the WTCC-races.
Old 24 Aug 2007, 13:39 (Ref:1995848)   #106
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple: Volvo will without any doubts be allowed to race the C30 in STCC, because a) STCC wants Volvo in it and b) there's already three-door cars racing. If Volvo goes works team and wants into the WTCC, all they have to do is nag for a while, because WTCC/FIA wants more works teams. Besides, a three-door Corolla already raced this year at Brno.
Old 25 Aug 2007, 08:31 (Ref:1996196)   #107
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
Simple: Volvo will without any doubts be allowed to race the C30 in STCC, because a) STCC wants Volvo in it and b) there's already three-door cars racing. If Volvo goes works team and wants into the WTCC, all they have to do is nag for a while, because WTCC/FIA wants more works teams. Besides, a three-door Corolla already raced this year at Brno.
I'm sure they'd let them in as long as they weren't competitive, but if they got in the way of SEAT & BMW, they'd all cry foul and things would get nasty as usual, with weight changes etc. so I'd say, don't allow it. Makes them develop the right car anyway!
Old 26 Aug 2007, 19:07 (Ref:1996951)   #108
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The website of LGT Engineering (http://www.lgt-engineering.com) is updated. Besides the S2000 Lexus diesel they have also developed a Formula Ford car. I did some searching with Google but could't find any info. Is this FF car for the 2008 season?
Old 27 Aug 2007, 16:42 (Ref:1997710)   #109
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
http://www.britishformulaford.co.uk/...s07/news51.htm
Old 28 Aug 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1998433)   #110
EuropaBambaataa
Racer

Portugal
EuropaBambaataa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with having cars with two side doors is that you allow a window for coupé homologation. And coupés have better aerodynamic shapes than saloons.

Of course, I really don't see a problem with 2- or 3-door cars, provided that:
* Coupés have a hatchback rearend with a certain maximum angle from the boot opening hinges to the ground
* Or cars with only two side doors have identical interior and exterior dimensions to a 4-door counterpart.

This would disqualify cars such as the Integra, or the Celica, but allow the 3-door Corolla, Astra GTC and Volvo C30.

I like electronic boom-boom-boom sounds. So what?
Old 28 Aug 2007, 14:58 (Ref:1998442)   #111
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then again, the Astra and Corolla are also available in 5-door versions. This rule should then be limited to models of which a 5-door version is not available.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1999087)   #112
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
I don't think there will be a North American (not Mexico) round of the WTCC until an American manufacturer wanted "In" as market become more and more global and cars are not changing very much save for suspension tuning and powertrain options from market to market the cars are pretty much the same.

Our SCCA World Touring class is not that far off the S2000 regulations. With that said, if anybody has an interest in WTCC would be maybe Ford. Think about it; The Mazda 6 built and ran by Tri-Point Engineering about 15 mins from where I am typing this has done very well in the World Challenge Touring Class.

The Ford Fusion is basically the same car underneath and uses the same base engine - 2.3L Duratec 4 cylinder engine.

As I said TC rules are not that much different than S2000 rules and the Duratecs are pounding out 300+hp in those Mazda 6's.

Ford could hire Tri-Point to build some Fusions and run those in the WTCC as its not much a change from their current Mazda 6 racecars.

I always thought it made more sense for SCCA to adopt the S2000 regulations from FIA rather than some type of restrictor formula that is currently uses.

As for a track, nice thing about such a large country like ours you have alot to choose from.

All would produce pretty close racing and provide solid passing points.

My top picks would be -

Mid Ohio, this track doesn't tend to favor one car configuration over another and produces equalized racing with very technical sections and a long back straight into a tight right, lift combination and up hill.

Portland International would be very interesting as the whole field would barrel down into the "festival" curves which is the #1 passing zone on the track, but a few other areas provide good passing.

Laguna Seca of course, no need to explain

Road America would be good as well...

The problem is most of these places are not near a major metro area per-se.

A nice weekend of events would be the Long Beach GP Street circuit with the ALMS, Champ Car and Toyota Celebrity Race, you could add the WTCC to card that would have packed grand stands and one of the better street circuits in the world.

Another one would be Bele Isle in Detroit in front of the Big 3 brass a shared weekend with the IRL and ALMS.

Hmmmm

Last edited by dj4monie; 29 Aug 2007 at 11:06.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1999180)   #113
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Chevrolet is an American manufacturer.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1999193)   #114
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
True, but the Chevrolet running in WTCC has little to do with the American Chevy's, and the programme is really focussed on Europe. Hopefully the next model will be a 'worldwide' model so the American branche gets more interested as well. Would mind seeing what Pratt & Miller could make out of a S2000 car!

By the way, allow myself to dream away a little bit: The new A4 was reveiled, and damn its a beautiful car. Now if only they would ditch those DTM silhouettes and join the proper touringcars in WTCC
http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2007/08/29/2008-audi-a4 (dutch, but pictures are interlangual )
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:03 (Ref:1999199)   #115
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
By the way, allow myself to dream away a little bit: The new A4 was reveiled, and damn its a beautiful car. Now if only they would ditch those DTM silhouettes and join the proper touringcars in WTCC
http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2007/08/29/2008-audi-a4 (dutch, but pictures are interlangual )
At least Audi will have little work to update the appearance of their DTM car.

I have to agree that the new A4 looks great and it would make a fine S2000 car, especially with the increased wheel base and improved engine-gearbox layout. The battery is already in the back with this new car
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1999214)   #116
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Expect to see that car running in STCC if not next year, atleast by 2009. Current A4 in STCC is now 4 years old, and has been running stong since 2003.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 14:33 (Ref:1999220)   #117
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
I'm cheering for it already
Old 29 Aug 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1999288)   #118
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1
Expect to see that car running in STCC if not next year, atleast by 2009. Current A4 in STCC is now 4 years old, and has been running stong since 2003.
Well, the cars themselves are 2006 builds I recall. Only a year old. The new A4 for 2009 would't be unrealistic either, as that would make both the first and second generation A4s they've run (2003 and 2006) three-season programs.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 17:22 (Ref:1999342)   #119
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Chevy Lacetti is a Daewoo that started being sold as a Chevy in 2004 (Wiki). I personally have no problem with 2 door cars provided they can seat five adults without it being extremely cramped and have room for a 2 bags of shopping as well - the Integra is academic because it's no longer sold in Europe.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 29 Aug 2007 at 17:26.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 18:26 (Ref:1999390)   #120
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I know the Lacetti is a Daewoo, it's also sold as the Suzuki Forenza over here. However, that doesn't mean it ain't sold under the banner of an American company. :P
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:01 (Ref:1999426)   #121
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I know the Lacetti is a Daewoo, it's also sold as the Suzuki Forenza over here. However, that doesn't mean it ain't sold under the banner of an American company. :P
Yes, I imagine that the average American would choke on his coffee if he saw the Forenza as a Chevrolet. Talk about different images on different markets. Probably not Dale Junior's car of choice.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:33 (Ref:1999456)   #122
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
I actually think I would prefer the Lacetti, over the Cobalt, haha.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:56 (Ref:1999479)   #123
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
I actually think I would prefer the Lacetti, over the Cobalt, haha.
In the UK/Europe, the Cobalt would probably have a 2L NA.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1999509)   #124
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Yes, but, the Cobalt doesn't LOOK as good as the Lacetti, imo.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1999931)   #125
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Your sick, the Daweoo looks okay the Cobalt is just chevy being converative. Saturn will get the Delta platform the way it was suppose to look when the Astra goes on sale.

We just need the OPC version of it as a Redline.....

I think Matt is just anti-Ford, well I am very much anti-Chevy but since they are in the WTCC I would like them do well, its an American thing.

I think the Fusion/Mazda 6 connection makes the most sense...

Last edited by dj4monie; 30 Aug 2007 at 10:22.
Closed Thread

Tags
wtcc