Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2002, 17:49 (Ref:368476)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Salo to retire

Mika Salo will retire at the end of this season. he says he "doesnt want to be a test driver" but is interested in auto development.

Last edited by Down F0rce; 29 Aug 2002 at 17:53.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 17:52 (Ref:368478)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Golly!! Booted and then quits!! Well, he is older than one would think...
Old 29 Aug 2002, 17:55 (Ref:368482)   #3
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He won't be missed, there are better drivers around.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 17:58 (Ref:368488)   #4
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
He won't be missed, there are better drivers around.
yea, everone seems to think that he aint a good driver. Hockenheim '99 anyone?
Old 29 Aug 2002, 18:32 (Ref:368523)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I get the impression that he's been really treated badly by Toyota, he gave up his chance of a very good 2001 Sauber, put in over a year of hard slog developing an impressive car, then got swept aside by short-termist management. I don't think we'd see him or McNish in an F1 car again after this year
Old 29 Aug 2002, 18:51 (Ref:368544)   #6
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Salo should try for a career in touring cars, like the DTM or something like that?
Old 29 Aug 2002, 18:56 (Ref:368550)   #7
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hockenheim was a fluke!

The other races he did in the Ferrari were nothing special. Everyone realised then that Salo would never make a GP winner.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 20:22 (Ref:368594)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive always found Salo a difficult driver to place on the talent scale .......dont know why , but ive never been too sure about how good or bad he is .
Old 29 Aug 2002, 22:29 (Ref:368678)   #9
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Salo must feel shattered. He put his career on hold while he slogged his guts out for Toyota and then Toyota returns the favour by punting him. I would be pretty bitter.

Salo is a good driver. The thing that would get to me, is that they've replaced him with Panis and Verstappen (apparently). That is just ludicrous. I would say Salo is at least on par with Panis and way ahead of Jos.
Old 29 Aug 2002, 22:37 (Ref:368687)   #10
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember Salo saying he didnt mind taking a year out of racing to test with Toyota as he was laying foundations for the future ....11 or so races later and he's dumped .
Old 30 Aug 2002, 01:28 (Ref:368764)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I pity Salo. He's never been a favourite, but after all the hard work he's put in the past two years, you'd think Toyota would pay him back a little. Instead, they replace him with Jos 'the Loss' Verstappen......

Well, au revoir Mika......
Old 30 Aug 2002, 06:49 (Ref:368818)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
yer , thats the worse bit for me too.....im not much of a fan of Salo either...but how to rub someones face in the mud or what ......theyve replaced him with Verstappen .

I bet Hakkinen found this funny.....i gather the 2 Finns quite dislike each other a fair bit going back to their british F3 days !
Old 30 Aug 2002, 06:56 (Ref:368820)   #13
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
yer , thats the worse bit for me too.....im not much of a fan of Salo either...but how to rub someones face in the mud or what ......theyve replaced him with Verstappen .
Are you sure about that? from which source?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
I bet Hakkinen found this funny.....i gather the 2 Finns quite dislike each other a fair bit going back to their british F3 days !
ironic isn't it...Salo was leading the championship and suddenly Hakkinen snatched the title in the end.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 09:23 (Ref:368904)   #14
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Instead, they replace him with Jos 'the Loss' Verstappen......

Nice one!

If they do put Jos in the Toyota then I would think that would be a bad move - they already have Panis in the team and it would be better to have a younger driver to partner hhim - someone like Massa for instance.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 10:49 (Ref:368959)   #15
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Salo is OK, but he isn't brilliant, he's had a good career, shame he never won a race, and its a shame he wont reap the benefits of Toyota's F1 program.

Good luck in retirement Mika
Old 30 Aug 2002, 12:08 (Ref:369023)   #16
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding Mika Salo ... i just can say THANK YOU, cause you have been one of those who have had to fight all the way up the ladder and never give up on looking for the right car that would allow to show everyone what you are capable of.
Dont know what happen "inside" Toyota, but it was expectable that Mika would have a 2nd year in the Team ... but that is F1!
Wherever you are going in the future ... good luck and have fun !
Cheers.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 13:06 (Ref:369099)   #17
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a sad sight to see Mika have to bow out like this. In the interview he did today it seemed like he had been considering retirement for a while, maybe Toyota sensed this and decided with next year being his last anyway, it might be better to put someone else in the car. A shame, since a Panis/Salo combination, in an improved Toyota, would have been a very strong package. It'll be a true crime if Jos the toss gets that seat.
Old 30 Aug 2002, 13:10 (Ref:369105)   #18
Madman
Rookie

Madman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he definately retiring?

I know this is of the subject, but does anyone know when the AUTO-SALON hits brisbane or have i missed it?
Old 30 Aug 2002, 14:49 (Ref:369178)   #19
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guys dont treat Jos Verstappen like that. He is a good racer. I would rather see Cristiano da Matta in the 2nd Toyota, but dont be so rude on Jos.

Madman, YOU ARE LUCKY ... AUTO SALON WILL START NEXT WEEK
2002 Auto Salon Brisbane
Brisbane Convention Centre
SOUTHBANK Sept 7-8
Sat:10am-9pm Sun:10am-7pm
www.autosalon.org
... by the way did you know that you live in the best city in the world ???
Old 30 Aug 2002, 23:11 (Ref:369566)   #20
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
Salo must feel shattered. He put his career on hold while he slogged his guts out for Toyota and then Toyota returns the favour by punting him. I would be pretty bitter.
Yup, me too.

What Sato san was saying is true, it's difficult to put Salo on the talent scale. I think, sadly, his speed and talent have declined as he has got older - his performances in the Tyrrell when he partnered Katayama were truly magnificent, and he did a pretty nifty job alongside Diniz and Verstappen at Arrows. He did a great job for Ferrari IMHO but at Sauber the cracks began to show, when he really should have shown (the highly under-rated) Diniz the way home...

He's a good driver, but was never going to set the F1 world on fire... He and Allan must be gutted by what Toyota have done, and actually, it makes me a little bit mad - especially when one of their replacements is Jos Verstappen...

Last edited by Minardi fan; 30 Aug 2002 at 23:12.
Old 31 Aug 2002, 01:22 (Ref:369593)   #21
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NME
Regarding Mika Salo ... i just can say THANK YOU, cause you have been one of those who have had to fight all the way up the ladder and never give up on looking for the right car that would allow to show everyone what you are capable of.
Dont know what happen "inside" Toyota, but it was expectable that Mika would have a 2nd year in the Team ... but that is F1!
Wherever you are going in the future ... good luck and have fun !
Cheers.
My feelings exactly NME. The only advantage of the change is that the Toyota management will have all of next year to realize how good Mika Salo and "old" McNish were. Salo did deserve a second year.

With the move, Toyota did more to help the Honda programme catch up and "pass" them than they could imagine.

Good luck to you Mika Salo !!

RT
Old 31 Aug 2002, 16:16 (Ref:369972)   #22
Baby Spice
Racer

Baby Spice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys' words stated my feeling, he'd been used, I am sorry for him.