Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 23 Jun 2003, 21:31 (Ref:640758)   #1
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
transponder

I do know that there have been several other threads on the above subject, consider this,they cost 160 pounds, my son bought one, a battery one,we went to mallory park on sunday, we forgot to put it on the car for practice, got timed,no mention of our mistake, is there anything in the case?????
Old 23 Jun 2003, 21:39 (Ref:640770)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
of the ones that barc have issued we have had one or two not work and the time keepers have still recorded times, and i gather that some of the really new ones wont work until the softwear that the timekeepers use is updated, my guess is that they just assumed yours wasn't working and timed you the old fashioned way, quite easy if there's only one car that doesn't have one working.

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 23 Jun 2003, 23:04 (Ref:640861)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they still time the old way too, just in case.

I know someone who didn't have one MST noticed and asked him if his was working! They then let him borrow one for the rest of the day (inexchange for some cash).

As graham says if one isn't working fine, but it is taking the Michael to flaunt this every round.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:00 (Ref:641104)   #4
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The timing is done by a lightbeam across the start/finish straight. All the transponder does is tell them what car you are as you go past, as I understand it.

I presume the timing software they use records the times as the beam is broken and allows you to enter the order of the cars as went/go past then tallies the two together. The transponders just make this easier, but not automatic. Hence the odd transponderless car won't make any real difference. You probably still have to check and change the records occasionally, for example if 2 cars pass the line wheel to wheel.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 07:44 (Ref:641142)   #5
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The wire feeding my Transponder parted during a qualifying session, the MST man told me of the fault, that rather proves that they do work and they are using them.
Old 24 Jun 2003, 10:52 (Ref:641261)   #6
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My transponder didnt work at brands recently. Aparently my model is too new for the software! I went up to MST on top of the tower and they showed me how it worked. Exactly like Richy says, except there is a manual process of pressing a button to confirm the time was correct/full lap was done and then the number of the ones with no transponders are written on a printout. the lent me a slighty older model for the race.