Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 May 2003, 18:21 (Ref:593825)   #1
MGTorr
Rookie

MGTorr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Brooklands circuit

I am an enthusiast of motor racing circuits.
Brooklands has ever been my favourite one.
There is a “refurbishment” plan by DaimlerChrysler, but in this web page there is a much more intriguing proposal:

http://www.angelfire.com/rings/brooklands/index.html

If this proposal has thrilled you, please spread the rumour though the web!
Old 8 May 2003, 18:23 (Ref:593829)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm thrilled! Welcome to ten-tenths MGTorr.

I think this is better suited in the trackside or historic forums. eenie, meanie, minie, mo...

Trackside
Old 9 May 2003, 05:16 (Ref:594164)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well it would be great but I can't see the suburbanites of Weybridge buying into it sadly.
Old 9 May 2003, 08:37 (Ref:594267)   #4
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be nice but it would never happen, since that photo more big buildings have gone up for businesses, although a large parge of the site is unused still. would be nice to see it more active but like Peter said, little chance.
Old 9 May 2003, 12:54 (Ref:594508)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, the least we can do is sign the petition. My signature makes only 37. I think we could do a lot better, eh?
Old 9 May 2003, 13:02 (Ref:594518)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ok then.
Old 10 May 2003, 00:52 (Ref:595037)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome aboard! It's always good to have more track design enthusiasts aboard.

I like the design, but it's really realistic, I'm afraid...

How about something like this? Even just the north part would be a hell of a like better than the DaimlerChrysler design, which would be nothing but an overgrown karting circuit. Literally. This could host proper club races.
Attached Thumbnails
plan3new.jpg  
Old 10 May 2003, 08:05 (Ref:595166)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lee the top end of your pic is the members banking. I have never been to Indy but I understand the banking there is pretty steep. however try walking up this banking and you learn what "steep" really means.

I've taken my MGB round there a few times and it is a bit scary. To see "moderns" running round there would be fantastic.
Old 10 May 2003, 08:16 (Ref:595175)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think they should knock down everything in the way and build it as it was originally - but then I guess someone will accuse me of being slightly less than realistic.......
Old 10 May 2003, 08:55 (Ref:595193)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
J'accuse!
Old 10 May 2003, 13:26 (Ref:595346)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I'm well aware, Peter.

The transition onto the banking is actually not so bad, though. I'd think an F3 car could take it at an angle.

http://members.tripod.com/nigel_warner/nwtvrb2.JPG

A flat, slow, short road course would be absolutely everything Brooklands is not!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 10 May 2003 at 13:35.
Old 10 May 2003, 13:40 (Ref:595353)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Better photo. Damn, I'd love to go there!

http://www.peerless-gt.co.uk/Gallery...rooklands2.jpg
Old 10 May 2003, 14:53 (Ref:595399)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest the real potential for a circuit is down on the byfleet baking as it has the pace for a 1.5 mile road corse thats not too nadgery

Last edited by ss_collins; 10 May 2003 at 14:57.
Old 10 May 2003, 18:13 (Ref:595541)   #14
MGTorr
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Welcome aboard! It's always good to have more track design enthusiasts aboard.

I like the design, but it's really realistic, I'm afraid...

How about something like this? Even just the north part would be a hell of a like better than the DaimlerChrysler design, which would be nothing but an overgrown karting circuit. Literally. This could host proper club races.
Other hypotheses of layout are welcomed, provided that there is a proper circuit at Brooklands at the end.

I would like to thank everybody who has supported the initiative and … go on spreading the rumour!
Old 10 May 2003, 19:02 (Ref:595589)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Better photo. Damn, I'd love to go there!

I've been. I'd recommend it to anyone. I went about 7-8 years ago. The feeling of history when your standing as high up the banking as you can get is almost tangible. Wonderful. Must go again.
Old 13 May 2003, 09:48 (Ref:597710)   #16
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is an amazing place, i'm lucky as i live locally and work on the site. The banking is incredible and the atmosphere that can be felt when your inside the museum area is superb. It would be nice to see it restored to its former glory. cant see a circuit being built as that photo is out of date and new buildings have popped up, but certainly alot of the track is here and needs attention. I just hope no more buildings are built and investment is put into Brooklands, theres too much history here.
Old 16 May 2003, 18:24 (Ref:601263)   #17
MGTorr
Rookie

The campaign is going better than I foresaw…
A chorus of “DO IT” rose from all the enthusiasts!!
If you haven’t already signed the petition for a proper racing circuit at Brooklands, do it now:
http://www.petitiononline.com/newbrook/petition.html
Old 7 Jun 2003, 18:42 (Ref:624000)   #18
MGTorr
Rookie

I updated the site with the supporting clubs, the fans’ comments and new proposed plans. Please see it and tell me what you think of it.
Sign the petition if you haven’t already done it! http://www.petitiononline.com/newbrook/petition.html
On 26th June the Elmbridge Borough Council will discuss the DaimlerChrysler plan.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 04:33 (Ref:624237)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Y'know, the links on your site don't work because the last slash on all your links is backwards. You really ought to fix that.

Do you have an aerial photo of the site with the outline of DaimlerChrysler's property, but without any tracks drawn over it? I'd like to put this challenge to some of the other amateur track designers.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 8 Jun 2003 at 04:34.
Old 8 Jun 2003, 14:42 (Ref:624597)   #20
Blanchimont
Rookie

Blanchimont should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Daimler-Chrysler photos & plans here:

Aerial Photo:
http://www.brooklands.org.uk/news/Me...rcnewspic1.htm

Aerial Drawing:
http://www.brooklands.org.uk/news/Me...rcnewspic2.htm

Current D-C Proposal:
http://www.brooklands.org.uk/news/Me...rcnewspic3.htm
Old 10 Jun 2003, 18:16 (Ref:627385)   #21
MGTorr
Rookie

Quote:
Y'know, the links on your site don't work because the last slash on all your links is backwards. You really ought to fix that.

Do you have an aerial photo of the site with the outline of DaimlerChrysler's property, but without any tracks drawn over it? I'd like to put this challenge to some of the other amateur track designers.
Thank you for having pointed out this problem!
I tested the links, but everything seems to be ok in my computer. I will add the exact URL of the starting pages of sites, and I hope that this will fix the problem. Try again in a couple of days and tell me if this was enough.
Old 10 Jun 2003, 20:34 (Ref:627550)   #22
IRLS
Rookie

IRLS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why were some parts destroyed in the first place? Surely Brooklands is more important than some stupid buildings. What **** has been built on the site anyway?
Old 11 Jun 2003, 03:31 (Ref:627796)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

WWII RAF airbase. The circuit wasn't brought back into use immediatly after the war, and that's a horrible shame, because it allowed the damn housing developments to encroach as the circuit fell into disrepair.

That's my understand of it, at least.

Thanks Blanchimont.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 11 Jun 2003 at 03:32.