Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but Why?

I don't see why not.

As long as the frame meets the AKA rules for dimensions, check

http://www.aka.asn.au/

for the current 2001 regulations.

Al the hardware can be purchaased, ie steering, axles, braking systems etc as spare parts. See the http://www.dpeng.com.au/ site to see what is available.

But why would you? Th emodern sprint kart has been refined over years of racing by factory drivers and teams. The way th eframe flexes has na important effect on how the kart handles.

It is not just a matter of copy the geometry of an exisiting frame. I think it was the local Australain agent asked CRG to change the geometry of chassis to suite local conditions. CRG cam back with a frame that looked exactly the same, but they used different materials to achieve the changes in how the frame worked.
Old 3 Sep 2001, 08:24 (Ref:140503)   #3
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We built 2/3 of our superkart frame,retaining only the front section for the steering geometry at the NZ champs which was the 3rd meeting for it we were 3sec off the front runners pace,we expect to be able to match it next year.

Long involved process,you need to be able to measure accurately,and understand the way the welds will react as they cool,a tube notcher is a good idea but not essential, we built ours from 32mmx1.6 mild steel round tube and beat one of the guys who told us it wouldn't work at the second meeting we ran at.

The main reason we built our own was cost,I spent $8000 to put it on the track,a new rolling chassis is $10,000,i am lucky enough to have access to people and equipment to get welding ,cutting etc done for a few hundred dollars,this also allowed us to try a few things that we couldn't get with a factory frame.

Yes i would do it again,but it isn't easy or quick,if i had the money i would buy a factory frame,but beating the guys that run them in a rusty chassis made out of exhaust tube is very satisfying!
Old 3 Sep 2001, 10:34 (Ref:140531)   #4
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason i want to build a kart is the money problem of buying a new kart from a racing product such as Arrow, Top Kart and auzzuro
Old 3 Sep 2001, 10:38 (Ref:140532)   #5
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason i want to build a kart is the money problem of buying a new kart from a racing product such as Arrow, Top Kart and auzzuro
So Warwick all together it nearly costed 20,000 to make your superkart.What kind of engine do you run
I want to run in the clubman 100 series?
regards the man
Old 3 Sep 2001, 22:17 (Ref:140850)   #6
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Our second hand sprint kart cost $1900, this was complete, ready to run with Yamaha KT100J motor.

It also came with a spare set of dry rims and a set of wet rims and a trolley stand.

The "J" or National class is ideal for the budget racer and for those starting out in karting. Once people get more involved in the sport it is common to move to faster classes, leaving a pool of pretty good second hand machines ready for somebody else.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 01:41 (Ref:140942)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think for sprint kart racing you may just end up spending more money than buying one...Im not really sure on what is required but i believe you need engineers certificates and detailed drawings to give to the AKA and basically it would be a bit of a nightmare...but if you have the knowhow , time and finances available then I dont see why not ..as long as I guess you dont just go and copy some other frame exactly and then call it "a flying pigmee" or something then I dont think there would be any problems...would be alot easier just to buy one really..but good luck with it if you try and go through with it.
Old 4 Sep 2001, 07:46 (Ref:141006)   #8
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nup,when I said it cost $8000 to build I meant all up on the track including motor.
The motor was 1/2 the cost $4000 to buy complete with pipes,ignition etc and rebuild it top to bottom.
I run a 95 spec TZ250 Yamaha motor,approx 80hp.
Individual component costs
Rear axle $220
Rear disc $180
Rear disc Carrier $60
Seat $250
Steering wheel $130
Wheels set of 4 $280
Rear hubs pair $70
Front discs pair $76
Body work $600
Brake lines and fittings $180
Fuel pump $60
Fuel regulator $60
Bearings $180
Floor tray alloy $120
Plus all the other nuts,bolts,washers etc,
a lot of the stuff on my Kart you wouldn't use on a sprint
kart.
Buy an older one do a few meetings then see what you think,here you can buy a older KT and be on the track for $1500-$2000,you can't build one and put it on the track for that.
We spent a lot of time putting this together and there were a few times we wanted to throw it away and just buy one,if you decide to do it then good luck,but have a good look around first and think long and hard about it!