Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1216631)   #1
tomgowans1959
Rookie

Angola
Luanda, Angola
tomgowans1959 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports car racing in Angola

Ever since I discovered an old MGA that had obvioulsy been modified for racing lying in a yard in Luanda, Angola, I have been trying to find out more about sports car racing in Angola prior to independance. I have discovered that the Springbok series raced there, I have seen a Ford Cobra for sale in a UK clasic car magazine advertised as winning the 1965 Angolan Grand Prix, and, talking to one old boy in Luanda, he remembered an Englishman being killed when he crashed a Porsche. Just tiny snippets but they have created an interest in further research. The old race track outside Luanda still exists and the main loop is still in use by amateurs (the other loops are head high in grass).

If there is anyone out there who can help me with more information, or steer me in the right direction, I would be very grateful. If anyone wants to see photos of the race track or the MGA, just drop me a line. Thanks!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1216665)   #2
Darren Galpin
Racer

Darren Galpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please send on the photos.....

There were many other circuits used:
Benguela
Fortaleza
Nove Lisboa
Restinga

see http://www.silhouet.com/motorsport/tracks/africa.html - includes some track maps.

See http://www.teamdan.com/archive/www2/miscsc/miscsc.html for some of the sportscar results.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1216768)   #3
klaus
Rookie

klaus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
remember the story of the autodelta alfa romeo tipo 33, found in an Angolan scrapyard some years ago. there were a lot of pictures in the magazines, and it was a nice story concerning the political cirumstances , why this car was left and forgotten there for several decades.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1217506)   #4
tomgowans1959
Rookie

Angola
Luanda, Angola
Thanks for that Darren. With your info I managed to find an obscure web page on a portuguese site: http://sportscar.com.sapo.pt/1_pioneiros.htm which has photos and more info. I shall post the recent photos of the track in Luanda and the MGA as soon as I finish this trip (I am up the West African coast at the moment). I shall write to the guy that seems to own the site I found, maybe he has more leads. It also appears that it was not an Englishman that crashed a Porsche killing himself and some spectators, it was Andrade Villar - a wealthy Portuguese farmer and entrepreneur who lived in Angola since his young years who was driving a Porsche Carrera 6 in December 1969. In those days the race was through the streets of Luanda. I shall have to try and map out the course but there is one part which cuts up the escarpment (below the present US Embassy) where they still occasionally run hillclimbs which must have been hairy in the extreme!

I need to get the names of the racetracks clear. The Restinga is the name of the long bar of Lobito, just north of Benguela which would have made it a street circuit. Did Benguela have its own circuit? I suspect it did. The Fortaleza is in Luanda (a fort on the edge of the escarpment but did it give its name to the Luanda street circuit as opposed to the Autodrome south of the city?). If you look at the photos on the web site of the start of the Angolan grande premio, you will see the fort in the background.

My thanks also to Klaus. Several years ago, obviously while the war was still going hammer and tongs, I heard of some Portuguese guy in the interior who swapped his brand new 4x4 for some old car he had discovered but I could never find anything else out about it (it was probably spirited away!).

This is all proving very interesting as I continue to be surprised at some of the exotica that once thundered through the streets of Luanda. I shall press on and keep you informed of anything else I turn up.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1218100)   #5
tomgowans1959
Rookie

Angola
Luanda, Angola
Photos

I found some photos of the race track south of Luanda and of the MGA. They can be viewed at: http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tom...bum?.dir=/b3fb
Old 25 Mar 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1261961)   #6
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
the alfa 33 was sold at auction 6-8 yrs ago
the car lay under a taupalin for years in no mans land and it took some time for the guy to get the car out and away it was an original condition car and made a good price

there where a few other cars left behind but it will not surprise me if thay are all out now
i did speak with a well known mechanic of that era now running sports cars about the angolan series and he was there a few times and said many cars went some stayed and agreed most will have been found a taken out by now
i recall a thread on 10 10 of a lola 210 21 found down there
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1637594)   #7
driftwood
Veteran

i now have the original foto of the alfa 33 that was found and copy of the article plus autosport 72 73 race results/reports
Old 20 Jun 2006, 10:53 (Ref:1637637)   #8
Noisy
Racer

Angola
Noisy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Driftwood, can you tell us what is the well known mechanic of that era?

Sports car Racing is alive in Angola:
http://193.126.231.120/pls/sportmoto...ticia?id=16680

(my last post was deleted because the article is write in portuguese...)
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1637669)   #9
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was it Angola where the footbridge over the track collapsed at the start of a 2 litre Sports Car race. I remember seeing some film of it many years ago - quite dramatic!
Old 20 Jun 2006, 14:01 (Ref:1637742)   #10
Noisy
Racer

Angola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Was it Angola where the footbridge over the track collapsed at the start of a 2 litre Sports Car race.
It didn't happen at Angola. Maybe at Sud-Africa or Zimbabwe.

I thought your mechanic worked for local drivers.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1637670)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy

(my last post was deleted because the article is write in portuguese...)
Your last post was deleted because it was in breach of our rules for both language and copyright, as has already been explained to you.
Old 20 Jun 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1637691)   #12
driftwood
Veteran

chris crawford ran guy edwards lola 290 in euro 2 litres 72-79 ran le man entries to 93
Old 20 Jun 2006, 12:12 (Ref:1637706)   #13
driftwood
Veteran

yes i believe it was the angolan race the bridge collapased
re foreign languages
try www.freetranslation.com u can paste and copy the language and get it translated to english or vice versa
it works reasonably well to get he idea of what is being said
Old 27 Jun 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1642793)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Noisy, no need to labour the point! Darren has already pointed to his sources and accepted that it may have been 1974 and Carlos has also given the date. However, thank you for the picture!
Old 27 Jun 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1642798)   #15
driftwood
Veteran

great link and pics for the races thanks noisy
Old 28 Jun 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1643453)   #16
Noisy
Racer

Angola
Give me pleasure to help. Who wants more help from Angola racing history and present? Yesterday Portuguese website www.sportmotores.com was talking about a Historic Festival at Luanda for the future as Estoril Historic is game over.
Old 28 Jun 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1643739)   #17
driftwood
Veteran

what is wrong with estoril having race festival?
they had villa real festival last year
Old 28 Jun 2006, 22:56 (Ref:1643808)   #18
Noisy
Racer

Angola

Estoril Historic festival is dead: lack of sponsor and lack of public.
Vila Real hadn't a Historic Festival but a friendly meeting. Streets of Porto had a Historic Festival in 2005 and they will have again in 2007.
Luanda project is more complexed because the track is very damaged.
Old 6 Jul 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1649467)   #19
Lotus47
Rookie

Lotus47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus 47

Many Lotus 47 was raced there and burn.
I try to post a photo but don t known how to do it ?
Old 2 Aug 2006, 15:47 (Ref:1671088)   #20
Noisy
Racer

Angola
Many Lotus 47 was raced there and burn? Burn in Angola?Do you have photos?

Angola racing is still alive fans:
http://193.126.231.100/sportmotores2...OTICIA(17755);