Old 27 Feb 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1532525)   #1
GEOFF THOMAS
Rookie

Wales
Stroud in Gloucestershire
GEOFF THOMAS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allards - what do you know?

Hi Forum Readers

I used to own an Allard "M" Coupe, and then a J2, in the fifties. I have recently bought another 1949 "M" Coupe and would be most interested to hear from others with an interest in Allards.

My cars can be seen at www.statim.co.uk

Do "post" if you have an interest in Allards.

Thanks,

Geoff.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 14:21 (Ref:1532532)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Geoff, I much enjoyed the story of your first 'outing' in the new acquisition. It's great to see her back on the road; you must stick with it.

I'm assuming that you would prefer to leave this thread in this forum than in the Road Car forum for a number of reasons.
Old 27 Feb 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1532607)   #3
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hi! Geoff,
When I was but a boy a J2, J2X, J2R were the cars I wanted when I grew up (pity I never did) so I have always loved these very charismatic motors. I have a few pictures taken at Donington and Goodwood of them so if you would like copies I will e-mail them to you, gladly.
Apropos of not very much I remember the story of the J2X at Le Mans one year when Sidney was driving and crashed, bending the steering. Later his co-driver also left the road and bent the steering straight 'well straightish!'.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1533323)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excellent website there Geoff especially the Minisprint page, alas my GCSE Latin qualification is of no help to me in understanding the text on the homepage

What are your thoughts on the most recent Allard roadcar which I believe was a rebodied Lexus LS400?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1533360)   #5
GEOFF THOMAS
Rookie

Wales
Translating from the Latin, very briefly, what it says is:-

"I know nothing about a Lexus in Allard clothing"

Does anyone else?

Geoff.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1533431)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The place where I saw it mentioned was....
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/allardj2xstory.html

Which says two of them were built to promote the sportscar racer project.

The only other mention of the car is on this link to a Romanian forum, with a familiar looking correspondent's name against it...
http://www.autoshow.ro/forum/viewthr...id=5651&page=2
Old 1 Mar 2006, 00:45 (Ref:1533599)   #7
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Geoff, the last couple of years at the Philip Island historic races have featured displays by the local Allard club. There has been a fairly comprehensive range of models on show - one of each of the models built in reasonable numbers at least. Here are the two cars that took to the track on Sunday (12/02/06), a locally based J2 and a visiting J2R - I must say it was a thrill to see this car, being so rare.

Old 1 Mar 2006, 07:08 (Ref:1533697)   #8
GEOFF THOMAS
Rookie

Wales
Hi John H.

Many thanks for the superb pictures which I have added to my "collection" and will circulate to other Allardos on my e-mail list.

The weather looked good at Philip Island. I wish it were like that here!

Geoff.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 07:15 (Ref:1533702)   #9
GEOFF THOMAS
Rookie

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
The place where I saw it mentioned was....
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/allardj2xstory.html

Which says two of them were built to promote the sportscar racer project.

The only other mention of the car is on this link to a Romanian forum, with a familiar looking correspondent's name against it...
http://www.autoshow.ro/forum/viewthr...id=5651&page=2
Thanks for the info, Trucko, and the links.

Looks like an interesting project although I don't really agree with the use of names from the past. I certainly don't know what old 'Sydney' would have thought.

The 'Lexus' version is just not draughty enough to be a 'real' Allard !!!!

ATB Geoff.
Old 14 Jan 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1814800)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A few Allard shots taken at last year's Silverstone Classic. I have more but will save them for later. Are these all versions of the J2?:-

Old 15 Jan 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1816075)   #11
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Blast! (that shouldn't upset the autocensor...) I had written a fairly long post with the following identification and then a brief description of all the different Allard models, then managed to accidentally hit the wrong menu option and delete it all rather than "select all" - infuriating!

Anyway, after having first thoughts of the various J, K, L, M, P, etc models & not knowing them all by heart, I looked them up and can confidently say the first is a K1 (or perhaps K2 which has a boot lid), the second is the P1 and the third car is an M1 (drophead coupe version of K1/K2/L model). The J1 is similar to the K1 but has cutaway sides rather than doors. Later models all had full-width bodywork.

The P1 is a later model, with full-width bodywork at the rear. The J2 is a cycle-wing, lightweight version of the K1. Note I would not be surprised if I am corrected by a proper Allard expert!

Interestingly, the P1 and M1 were by far the two most popular Allard models, together representing over half of the total marque production. By contrast the competition models (J2, J2X, JR, J2R) make up only 10%.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 07:59 (Ref:1816259)   #12
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Leigh Trevail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allards

In 1953 Tommy Sopwith built the 'Sphinx', this was a two seater sports racer using an Armstrong Siddeley 346 engine with an Allard chassis. Although the car was reasonably successful he was met with complete apathy from the Siddeley Board of Directors.

Also I have heard of an Allard being bodied by Duncan Industries of North Walsham in Norfolk, but cannot varify this. By chance I have written a couple of short articles on both the Sphinx and Ian Duncan, these can be seen on www.talesandtravails.netaspace.com
Old 16 Jan 2007, 12:58 (Ref:1816499)   #13
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
I looked them up and can confidently say the first is a K1 (or perhaps K2 which has a boot lid), the second is the P1 and the third car is an M1 (drophead coupe version of K1/K2/L model). The J1 is similar to the K1 but has cutaway sides rather than doors. Later models all had full-width bodywork.

The P1 is a later model, with full-width bodywork at the rear. The J2 is a cycle-wing, lightweight version of the K1. Note I would not be surprised if I am corrected by a proper Allard expert!

Interestingly, the P1 and M1 were by far the two most popular Allard models, together representing over half of the total marque production. By contrast the competition models (J2, J2X, JR, J2R) make up only 10%.
Yes, I should have looked them up, too. Apologies for being lazy. I'll put some more up pics up, shortly.

Leigh, didn't see any pictures of the Sphinx. Are there any?
Old 18 Jan 2007, 01:42 (Ref:1818083)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Yes, I should have looked them up, too. Apologies for being lazy. I'll put some more up pics up, shortly.
Not at all, in fact it was probably a good exercise (I was going to say worthwhile but not sure it will ever have a “practical” use) as I had always just kind of lumped Allards into “J2” and “not J2” baskets, and now I am a bit more familiar with the marque.

I have a magazine lying around somewhere with an article on Sydney Allard’s Steyr-powered hillclimb car. 3.7L of air cooled V8, twin rear wheels and polished alloy body.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 00:58 (Ref:1822340)   #15
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
There were 3 Allards at the RACV Great Australian Rally at the Mornington Racecourse last Sunday. The reason the tonneaus are on the cars (and the reason I didn’t read the info boards) was that a thunderstorm was threatening and there had already been a couple of preliminary showers . The first is a K? model

There was also a P1X

And finally a Palm Beach

Last edited by johnh875; 23 Jan 2007 at 01:01.
Old 23 Jan 2007, 06:54 (Ref:1822460)   #16
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you joined the owners club Geoff? If not p.m me and i will give you the details.
Old 24 Jan 2007, 12:42 (Ref:1824595)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A couple more taken at the Silverstone Classic. Kinsella's book hasn't helped me identify which models, although the lower one would look suitable for Trials work:-

Old 25 Jan 2007, 02:37 (Ref:1825349)   #18
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Looks to be a J2 and a trial-ised K
Old 29 Jan 2007, 12:26 (Ref:1828522)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Trevail
In 1953 Tommy Sopwith built the 'Sphinx', this was a two seater sports racer using an Armstrong Siddeley 346 engine with an Allard chassis. Although the car was reasonably successful he was met with complete apathy from the Siddeley Board of Directors.
Leigh has now sent me this picture of the Sphinx, taken on Bank Holiday Monday, 2nd Aug 1954, at Davidstow, Cornwall. I have lightened the picture slightly in an attempt to show a bit more detail. It was taken from a book by Peter Tutthill, who has given his permission for us to reproduce it here. Thanks to both Peter and Leigh.