Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Dec 2016, 21:54 (Ref:3695200)   #51
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Article says the "local community will be consulted..."

In other words "here is what's happening. Get used to it!"
One of Newcastle's councillors was interviewed during the week on local radio. The council is being told where the track is going by the state government and its construction is none of their concern.
She claimed council wants the event but has concerns over the width of the actual track, the hill on the route which includes cross intersections that resemble the streets of San Francisco, the light rail (if and when construction begins) which will take out roughly a hundred parking spaces along one side of Hunter St, no rail access and bugger all parking in the CBD.
Old 11 Dec 2016, 04:21 (Ref:3695230)   #52
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it looks as though the first year could be quite messy. It will be right smack in the middle of Newcastle's CBD revitalisation timeframe. The proposed track crosses the yet to be built light rail line just before it terminates. Parking will have to be at Hunter Stadium and buses will ferry you into the track.
i might add that the only Newcastle people against the race is is the residents of the East end where the track is at their front door. I have not come across anyone that is against it, non motorsport people included.
Old 12 Dec 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3695653)   #53
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Newcastle Is Go

24-26 November 2017...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 13 Dec 2016, 00:14 (Ref:3695659)   #54
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Well that layout is very different from the concept we first saw isn't it? Not unusual with street races to have a few versions before the final layout is locked away.

I see they have an Adelaide style parklands section for part of it and from the "flyover" in the link, the roads appear to be wide enough on this version (don't know about gradients or possible future light rail points though).

Good to have a date locked in too. Would be an easy walk up from Newcastle train station to the track so access should be OK.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 01:26 (Ref:3695668)   #55
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im hoping they have learnt something from other street circuit issues eg the kink getting around the pits on Olympic Park's main straight, or the need for constantly changing goalposts with kerb hoping and chicanes like the GC and Hamilton, and the total stuff up of turn 1 in Canberra
Old 13 Dec 2016, 08:33 (Ref:3695722)   #56
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting to read there are already some upset locals, apparently the placement of the pitlane requiring the digging up of greenery is causing some troubles....

Another Auckland?
Old 13 Dec 2016, 08:37 (Ref:3695724)   #57
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's only trees and grass.

You can always buy/plant more.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3695727)   #58
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just ****ing NIMBYs

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Dec 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3695765)   #59
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope I'm wrong here, but having just 'did a lap' on Google Earth street view, there are two things that worry me about Newcastle:

- The streets are very narrow in places, not to mention large crowning in the road and the humps at the crossroads of Watt St.
- In the middle 1.5 k's of the track, I fail to see any significant spectator areas, either real or potential, a worry for a racetrack that is only 2.6ks long.
Old 13 Dec 2016, 11:52 (Ref:3695775)   #60
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest issue with this layout is the sheer number of residents and businesses that will be inconvenienced. Those along the route and trapped within the circuit itself. Compare this to the Townville circuit which allows residents and businesses to get on with life with a minimum of inconvenience.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 08:40 (Ref:3696056)   #61
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Well that layout is very different from the concept we first saw isn't it? Not unusual with street races to have a few versions before the final layout is locked away.

I see they have an Adelaide style parklands section for part of it and from the "flyover" in the link, the roads appear to be wide enough on this version (don't know about gradients or possible future light rail points though).

Good to have a date locked in too. Would be an easy walk up from Newcastle train station to the track so access should be OK.
The walk from the station to the track will still be easy. The problem is the trains haven't run into Newcastle CBD since 24th December 2014. Trains now terminate at Wickham which is roughly 2.6 kms away from the CBD. Buses replace them. Compounding the parking problem will be when 2 km of parking on the north side of Hunter St will permanently disappear when the light rail goes in.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 08:53 (Ref:3696059)   #62
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcapri View Post
The walk from the station to the track will still be easy. The problem is the trains haven't run into Newcastle CBD since 24th December 2014. Trains now terminate at Wickham which is roughly 2.6 kms away from the CBD. Buses replace them. Compounding the parking problem will be when 2 km of parking on the north side of Hunter St will permanently disappear when the light rail goes in.
Ah that's a bugger re the train station.

No doubt there'll be a public access plan - maybe as someone else suggested a park & ride type setup from the stadium / showground area. One of the many parts of the event info that'll get clearer as time marches on.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 09:28 (Ref:3696067)   #63
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No doubt there'll be a public access plan - maybe as someone else suggested a park & ride type setup from the stadium / showground area.
Sounds just like Eastern Creek!

easy Public Transport is supposed to be a major selling point of a street race
Old 14 Dec 2016, 09:50 (Ref:3696069)   #64
Beages
Rookie

Beages should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

The Light Rail will take you straight to the track, but you won't see it until the 2018 race.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:15 (Ref:3696077)   #65
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post

There's light rail coming of course but if you look at street races such as GC 600 and Clipsal 500, easy public transport has included park and ride systems which work well and walking into the track from a km or two away.

Street tracks do provide easy access - certainly easier than (say) Winton, Phillip Island, Bathurst, Barbagallo, Queensland Raceway or Symmons Plains but you have a point that on the face of it, park & ride exists at SMP so clearly such a system doesn't always deliver.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 10:27 (Ref:3696084)   #66
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
There's light rail coming of course but if you look at street races such as GC 600 and Clipsal 500, easy public transport has included park and ride systems which work well and walking into the track from a km or two away.

Street tracks do provide easy access - certainly easier than (say) Winton, Phillip Island, Bathurst, Barbagallo, Queensland Raceway or Symmons Plains but you have a point that on the face of it, park & ride exists at SMP so clearly such a system doesn't always deliver.
of course SMP is a long way out of town compared to those other venues that are right in town. Which is a key part of street races
Old 14 Dec 2016, 20:49 (Ref:3696223)   #67
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Long way out of town? How so?
Old 14 Dec 2016, 20:53 (Ref:3696224)   #68
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Long way out of town? How so?
Do i need to draw you a map of sydney.
Adelaide walking distance from CBD,
Newcastle walking distance from CBD.
Gold coast, walking distance from CBD.
SMP 40 km, thats a days walk, an hours drive
Old 14 Dec 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3696226)   #69
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
Clearly you aren't aware of the population concentration of Sydney. Would you like me to draw you a map?
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:02 (Ref:3696239)   #70
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Do i need to draw you a map of sydney.
Adelaide walking distance from CBD,
Newcastle walking distance from CBD.
Gold coast, walking distance from CBD.
SMP 40 km, thats a days walk, an hours drive
Newcastle maybe walking distance from the CBD. The problem is the vast majority of the crowd don't live in the CBD. Public transport and parking to the CBD will be a problem particularly in the first year. As for parking at the Hunter Stadium, anyone who has been to Knights game with a a crowd over a few thousand will tell you getting in or out there (including parking in nearby streets/suburbs) on match day can be challenging to say the least. Locals in the area love ringing the council rangers to complain about people parking close to driveways etc.

The problems with it sound negative but I hope its a success.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:15 (Ref:3696244)   #71
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Clearly you aren't aware of the population concentration of Sydney. Would you like me to draw you a map?
Could you. that would be good, then show me all the direct public transport that run form those outer regions to SMP compared to Sydney.

then if you could mark all the accomodation nearby and eating points for both venues.

This is where events within CBD's win, its all the accomodation and Eating points and the key central point of the public transport.

sure currently there may not be a train line at Newcastle, but there will be free buses from the train station

and let me say, that no map you will show me has the population concentration of Sydney 40km west of sydney.

Last edited by peckstar; 14 Dec 2016 at 22:29.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:30 (Ref:3696246)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Peckstar - how well are you are aware of Sydney?

Parramatta is the geographic centre of Sydney.

Correct me if I am wrong however there is train service direct to Blacktown & Doonside (adjacent suburbs to SMP), along with buses and onsite parking provided.

Not sure where the gap is?
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3696249)   #73
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcapri View Post
Newcastle maybe walking distance from the CBD. The problem is the vast majority of the crowd don't live in the CBD. Public transport and parking to the CBD will be a problem particularly in the first year. As for parking at the Hunter Stadium, anyone who has been to Knights game with a a crowd over a few thousand will tell you getting in or out there (including parking in nearby streets/suburbs) on match day can be challenging to say the least. Locals in the area love ringing the council rangers to complain about people parking close to driveways etc.

The problems with it sound negative but I hope its a success.
if its anything like other street venues (which i expect it will be), it will include free public transport if you have a ticket
Old 14 Dec 2016, 22:47 (Ref:3696251)   #74
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Peckstar - how well are you are aware of Sydney?

Parramatta is the geographic centre of Sydney.

Correct me if I am wrong however there is train service direct to Blacktown & Doonside (adjacent suburbs to SMP), along with buses and onsite parking provided.

Not sure where the gap is?
So? Not sure your point. Parramatta is 16kms away

Please stop trying to convince me that SMP is right in the town, its out of town for a reason. Thats not to insult it its just the key difference between a street race and a permanent track
Old 14 Dec 2016, 23:02 (Ref:3696253)   #75
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
16 km isn't a "long way out of town" though is it? Greater Western Sydney area contains approximately 9% of Australia’s population, and over 44% of Sydney’s population, and Eastern Creek is right in the middle of all of that, so I'm not sure why I need to show you accommodation or restaurants?

But by your definitions, street races are held to attract out of town tourists, seems extravagant considering the Newcastle event is (aggressively and optimistically) hoping for around 16,000 per year... Although with V8Supercars history of crowd counting, that is more likely to be 5000 people counted three times for each day they attend...