Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Jun 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2485532)   #1
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Angouleme Circuit des Remparts Sept 2009

Having just sent our entries in for the Warwick and the Peerless for this fantastic event (70th anniversary) We will be crossing our fingers. This is because the ICR who organise the event have told me that they have already filled up one grid for GT GTS and GTP cars, eligibility years 1951-1976 (Although in previous years saloon cars have been successfully entered.) They are now looking to fill up another grid of 16 cars. With our two entries they need another ten. The race is run around the town and is quite unique, challenging and great fun. Further info from their website www.circuit-des-remparts.com or pm me and I'll give you more details. The town is medieval with loads of character, cobbled streets, squares with cafes and good restaurants. Also full of classic cars that weekend! So come on everyone, put in your entry and join us!
Attached Thumbnails
Angouleme and Le mans 2006 022.jpg  
Old 17 Jun 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2485542)   #2
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Celia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCelia Stevens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Angouleme

Just to add, picture on previous post is Ian racing the Peerless there last year. Date for this year is Sunday Sept. 20th but stuff going on from Friday. Cars should have HTPs.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 07:50 (Ref:2485730)   #3
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is my home race. Angouleme is a truly wonderful weekend. I have driven it twice, once in a single seater and once in the Lotus Elite. It is just one of those race meetings in which you have to compete before you die! Last year someone gave a demonstration in an F1 Tyrell. He was having such a wonderful time that he ignored the chequered flag. The organisers could only get him to stop by standing in the middle of the road! Have no doubts you absolutely must come.
Old 18 Jun 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2485749)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So that would mean having to spend a week in France before driving up to Spa,worth a thought or two!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:34 (Ref:2485796)   #5
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Les Remparts

Go for it Terry, you would really love it, as the good Compte says you really have to do Angouleme before you die. Apart from the amazing race, the ambience, relaxed atmosphere and beautiful surroundings, to say nothing about the French cuisine et vin are outstanding. The whole town comes to a halt. Barriers and stands are erected across roads in the middle of Saturaday night so that the immense number of spectators are able to view the race and the entente cordiale is brilliant. Anyone interested put "TVR Grantura Angouleme or Circuit des Remparts" into "you tube" sit back and enjoy!!
Old 18 Jun 2009, 09:59 (Ref:2485806)   #6
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Celia,

Can't join you this year but it's on my list of races to do and look forward to seeing it from the driving seat of my own TVR in due course!

Good to see you and Ian at Oulton last weekend.

Best of luck in stumping up the support for a second grid. The event looks fantastic.

Cheers

Dave
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:21 (Ref:2485827)   #7
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Hi Dave,
Good to see you at Oulton also, you would have a great drive at Angouleme in the TVR. The u-tube film is from Phils' TVR and he usually does well there. Ideal car for the circuit. Pity the GT6 isn't appdx k, it would be ideal!
Cheers Celia
Old 18 Jun 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2485833)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having seen the video before before [that was one of the reasons I have always had this event on my list] I had to watch it again,still not sure whether the TVR driver say's "Faster" to the Lotus driver though.
Old 26 Jun 2009, 18:21 (Ref:2491260)   #9
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems incredibly tight, I'd imagine first and second in a bigger GT, with almost no straight at all.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:41 (Ref:2491477)   #10
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Without doubt this was one of the best weekends racing the Delta team participated in. And the Compte lets me sleep in his barn. He owns the most wonderful house there.
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:54 (Ref:2491483)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Your not allowed near the Cave's then?
Old 30 Jun 2009, 07:30 (Ref:2493708)   #12
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Your not allowed near the Cave's then?
You have got to be joking!
Old 1 Jan 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2607181)   #13
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So how did this turn out? was there a conclusion? Celia?
Old 5 Jan 2010, 22:44 (Ref:2608634)   #14
Celia Stevens
Racer

England
Hundon Sudbury
Angouleme 2009

Hi Sam, Yes there was a conclusion, fantastic weekend, both cars racing, Ian came 4th in the Warwick, 1st on Dunlop Historic racing tyres (lapped the next on same tyres!) I came 10th after losing my brakes (quite hairy on that circuit) and getting fuel evaporation as a result of a VERY hot engine! It is the race to do there is no doubt about that, what an experience. Entry forms already out for this year. If you have a look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hajT1010O0 it will show you Ian doing a bit of "slipping up the inside" past a gesticulating Sprite driver and an unaware Lotus!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 14:09 (Ref:2608930)   #15
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brilliant! obviously a gallic driver! (because it was a left hand drive car of course) not a place to race with no brakes I would have thought!! It does look mega though.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 17:26 (Ref:2608995)   #16
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you give us a link to the website where the regs are please?
Old 6 Jan 2010, 20:12 (Ref:2609070)   #17
SAMD
Veteran

If you Google 'Angouleme Circuit des Remparts' you should get all you need, hopefully!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2609079)   #18
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post
Can you give us a link to the website where the regs are please?

http://www.circuit-des-remparts.com/index2-lang-uk.html
Old 12 Jan 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2612130)   #19
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmmm - oddly enough we were just discussing this event in the pub at our car club meet last night, and I recollected noticing a thread about it...now I've had a look - I think it could well be worth a visit this year - as the Saturday of the event just happens to be my 60th birthday - and Angouleme is the twin town of Bury, Lancs, where I grew up and went to grammar school - and lived for many years.

I think I sense a plan forming.....
Old 17 Jun 2010, 11:20 (Ref:2713651)   #20
SAMD
Veteran

Can anyone advise how long the races are in Angouleme? I am working on a wee car for it and I am at the stage of fitting the fuel tank which is 15 ltrs (1600 crossflow twin 45s.) and I would like to know how long the races are likely to last. The regs don't seem to say, or else its my french!

Cheers.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2713708)   #21
SAMD
Veteran

Right, here are my sums.
10 MPG at average speed of 60mph.
30 min Race = 30 miles = 3 Gallons = the 15 Ltrs tank is OK

But if race is say, 45 mins, or average speed is say 75mph it would be back to the pits for a Jerry can, which is not conducive to fast lap times

I cant see the average lap speeds getting much over 60, so if the races are no longer than 30 mins we should be ok.

Any other opinions?
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2713783)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I would factor in the fact that you will be holding higher gears/changing gear more than a 'normal' circuit Sam.
Old 17 Jun 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2713791)   #23
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to race here, but - I'm guessing - no chance in a 1990s Caterham...? (I stumbled across the starting grid one day when touring Cognac distillaries in a 2CV). Any rental drives available...?
Old 18 Jun 2010, 07:48 (Ref:2714169)   #24
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Can anyone advise how long the races are in Angouleme? I am working on a wee car for it and I am at the stage of fitting the fuel tank which is 15 ltrs (1600 crossflow twin 45s.) and I would like to know how long the races are likely to last. The regs don't seem to say, or else its my french!

Cheers.
Monsieur Le Comte should be able to help you, as he lives just down the road, and has raced at Angouleme, as has Delta, but he's in Dijon at the moment. I don't think the races are very long - about 20 minutes from memory.
Old 21 Jun 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2715795)   #25
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Monsieur Le Comte should be able to help you, as he lives just down the road, and has raced at Angouleme, as has Delta, but he's in Dijon at the moment. I don't think the races are very long - about 20 minutes from memory.
Alan is right. The races are usually 15 - 20 minutes but the circuit is very very tight and twisty so factor that in!