Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Jul 2015, 01:27 (Ref:3558367)   #76
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
In any case, the article in the regs you quote says "shall" so there is an allowance for variation built into the regs right off the bat. If it said "will" that would be another thing entirely.......
I use the word "shall" often on drawings and in specs because its definition is to be "expressing a strong assertion or intention". A lot like the word "will", so not sure I agree with your comment.
Had they used the word "should" then all of a sudden things are open to interpretation. So I think "shall" makes it quite clear what is expected.

But yeah, why the focus on this in particular? Any reason?
Old 14 Jul 2015, 12:06 (Ref:3558454)   #77
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
I use the word "shall" often on drawings and in specs because its definition is to be "expressing a strong assertion or intention". A lot like the word "will", so not sure I agree with your comment.
Had they used the word "should" then all of a sudden things are open to interpretation. So I think "shall" makes it quite clear what is expected.

But yeah, why the focus on this in particular? Any reason?
Not sure why the focus, Terry S seemed to see it as important. I guess that the difference between "shall" and "will" has become blurred in these modern times, but the words had a clear difference in meaning back in the day and that difference in meaning is still used in motor race regs.

In that context, "will" means being compelled whereas "shall" is more of a recommendation or guideline.
Old 14 Jul 2015, 12:24 (Ref:3558464)   #78
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Somewhere along the way, the powers that be of that class have recognised that commercial reality, and the cost of running the cars, needs to be integrated into a pragmatic approach to supporting the cars.

Some of the cars in the class do not look pretty with their stickers aboard... but that they are there helps them keep on racing... if they werent there, Mr Richards & Mr Bowe at the very least would likely not be participating
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jul 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3558583)   #79
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
In that context, "will" means being compelled whereas "shall" is more of a recommendation or guideline.
No. The two words have the same meaning, it is merely the usage that is different:

Quote:
Will and shall: Will and shall are modal verbs. They are used with the base form of the main verb (They will go; I shall ask her). Shall is only used for future time reference with I and we, and is more formal than will.
Old 15 Jul 2015, 00:44 (Ref:3558650)   #80
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Woolley, you explained that much better than I ever would have

All good Tourer but yeah me using "shall" in my notes, etc to me gives clear, unambiguous instruction.

look what you've done here Terry!
Old 16 Jul 2015, 09:23 (Ref:3558925)   #81
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I shall stand enlightened.
Old 16 Jul 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3558958)   #82
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Thanks Woolley, you explained that much better than I ever would have
I didn't. The clue is in the Quote formatting. While I roughly knew it, I nicked the actual definition from somewhere online.
Old 17 Jul 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3559086)   #83
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.... and here I was thinking all these years that it came from my misses!!
Old 20 Jul 2015, 01:28 (Ref:3559631)   #84
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the recent posts on "shall", "will" and nodal verbs are academic and superfluous because as I noted in post#71 the regulations in the TCM site were 4 versions out of date.

It is disappointing that this TCM lot can't be bothered to load on their website, which is supposed to be promoting their category, the current years regulations. I acknowledge it is on mid July.......
Old 20 Jul 2015, 06:05 (Ref:3559651)   #85
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
All the recent posts on "shall", "will" and nodal verbs are academic and superfluous because as I noted in post#71 the regulations in the TCM site were 4 versions out of date.

It is disappointing that this TCM lot can't be bothered to load on their website, which is supposed to be promoting their category, the current years regulations. I acknowledge it is on mid July.......
They aren't the only category in that boat though; V8SC's series regulations are out of date on their website as well (a minor typo and some new changes have been made so far this year.)
Old 20 Jul 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3559884)   #86
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
They aren't the only category in that boat though; V8SC's series regulations are out of date on their website as well (a minor typo and some new changes have been made so far this year.)
Your post made me look - LOL. The 2015 V8 Ops Manual is on the site uploaded on February 10th. Are you saying that there have been updates since then?

I'd reckon that you're probably right. Wonder if that's the marketing dudes not on the case or the motor sport dept not on the case?
Old 21 Jul 2015, 00:59 (Ref:3559912)   #87
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
V8SC dont seem to change the Operations Manual itself, instead issuing various updates during the season which are/were on the website separately. Many teams have the full printed set of all of them on the pit data centre... and add/remove pages as the updates come. And include any supplementary regulations for particular meetings as well.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Jul 2015, 07:33 (Ref:3561888)   #88
Terry S
Racer

Trans Am class

When going through the TCM Regulations for the above posts I noticed there are now four classes.

In addition to the regular Pro Masters, Pro Am and Pro Sport there is also now a TRANS AM class. I can not find anything in their regulations about this class. The only 3 mentions are that a. not subject to success adjustments b. can run lower weight and c. can run 0.5 inch wider wheels.

So what is this mysterious class all about? Can someone explain?

Then to confuse me further when I look at the points leader board there are four classes, but the fourth is "Invitational" and not Trans Am.

What is "Invitational" as not mentioned anywhere in the regulations?

I suggest this TCM mob have a lot to do to clean up their act.
Old 28 Jul 2015, 07:56 (Ref:3561893)   #89
sebringimsa
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
sebringimsa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When going through the TCM Regulations for the above posts I noticed there are now four classes.

In addition to the regular Pro Masters, Pro Am and Pro Sport there is also now a TRANS AM class. I can not find anything in their regulations about this class. The only 3 mentions are that a. not subject to success adjustments b. can run lower weight and c. can run 0.5 inch wider wheels.

Then to confuse me further when I look at the points leader board there are four classes, but the fourth is "Invitational" and not Trans Am.

This is the Australian Trans Am Series www.australiantransam.com.au. Queensland based series. Only 16 TCM cars are entered for the QR round so maybe the trans am boys were asked to help fill out the grid!
If it rolls, floats, flys or crashes, runs on gasoline or high explosives, shoots a big bullett, makes lots of noise, producing torque and recoil, THEN ITS COOL!! But if it's a ball made out of leather inflated with air hit with a bat, racquet or club, played on a course, green or court by yubbies or left-wingers it SUCKS!!
Old 29 Jul 2015, 02:40 (Ref:3562084)   #90
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebringimsa View Post
This is the Australian Trans Am Series www.australiantransam.com.au. Queensland based series. Only 16 TCM cars are entered for the QR round so maybe the trans am boys were asked to help fill out the grid!
I was chatting to a couple of Trans Am guys on the weekend and they said that their organisation had recently developed a friendship with TCM and they had been invited to enter 8 of their best cars for the TCM races.
Old 1 Aug 2015, 22:57 (Ref:3563123)   #91
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
I was chatting to a couple of Trans Am guys on the weekend and they said that their organisation had recently developed a friendship with TCM and they had been invited to enter 8 of their best cars for the TCM races.
Organisers will probably be looking at continuing this agreement at TCM's next round at SMP in 4 weeks after Tilley just took out himself and another 2 cars this morning.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 06:10 (Ref:3563423)   #92
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Invitational is a class that allows cars that comply to the broad parameters of the regulations, but perhaps sit slightly outside of some aspects of them, to run in the category. It's a good way to get people on the grid who have a car that is within the philosophy of TCM but perhaps not quite the exact spec. Our (recently) late friend Bill Pye, for example, ran his old Porsche in 'invited' (As Sven Burchartz did when he purchased it) as it sat outside the rules of the TCM tech regs for the Porsche 911 RS, but was close enough that it wasn't going to come in and blitz everyone. The IROC Challenge cars did the same at Clipsal, for example.

They run their own point score as to not disrupt those running for either of the three 'main' classes. It gets cars and people on the grid, adds to the show, and also gives people a chance to get involved at a first instance (try before you buy?) without spending cash to build or change their car. Category Management makes the call on whether they can run or not so we don't end up with a bunch of Sports Sedans running..

As for T/A - similar theory except for there's a bunch of those cars which comply to the same set of regs, so why not give them their own class when they want to run? There's been plans underway since Muscle Car Masters last year to get the T/A guys on the grid at some point. Doing it at QR - regardless of the size of the TCM field entered or not - made sense as all the cars are running there.

For the record, a bunch of them will run at Bathurst with the category as well, whilst they're running as their own stand-alone races at MCM in September.

A point was made somewhere else about there being three variations of the regs already this year. Common practice as things are fine-tuned throughout the year. Aus GT and Porsche GT3CC are two examples to be on V3 of their Sporting & Tech regs for this year.

EDIT: With regards to signage. The commercial reality of the modern motorsport landscape is that there needed to be more flexibility in giving sponsors adequate representation on the cars, and in particular with the respective liveries used, to help their bang-for-bucks. The series might run old cars, but you need modern commercial sensibilities to run at a national level so the rules were relaxed.

However there's still an encouragement that cars run something related to 'period' schemes to keep it looking slightly old-school.

To be honest, old cars with funky modern wraps look pretty silly anyway so most maintain some form of simple scheme as it suits the cars better anyway.

Last edited by Richard Craill; 3 Aug 2015 at 06:16.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 06:21 (Ref:3563425)   #93
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Organisers will probably be looking at continuing this agreement at TCM's next round at SMP in 4 weeks after Tilley just took out himself and another 2 cars this morning.
Tilley and Cricky's cars should be repairable in the timeframe between rounds, and - assuming he's not off racing one of the MARC cars entries in some far corner of the world - Keith still owns the HQ GTS should he run.

Others like Youlden (HQ), Hunter (Monza), McLeod (XA Coupe), Freestone (Camaro) etc will be back later in the year so the grid will be fine.

There's also two new SLR 5000s under construction at the moment as well, one of which should be ready for MCM.
Old 3 Aug 2015, 23:52 (Ref:3563624)   #94
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Craill View Post
Invitational is a class that allows cars that comply to the broad parameters of the regulations, but perhaps sit slightly outside of some aspects of them, to run in the category. It's a good way to get people on the grid who have a car that is within the philosophy of TCM but perhaps not quite the exact spec. Our (recently) late friend Bill Pye, for example, ran his old Porsche in 'invited' (As Sven Burchartz did when he purchased it) as it sat outside the rules of the TCM tech regs for the Porsche 911 RS, but was close enough that it wasn't going to come in and blitz everyone. The IROC Challenge cars did the same at Clipsal, for example.

They run their own point score as to not disrupt those running for either of the three 'main' classes. It gets cars and people on the grid, adds to the show, and also gives people a chance to get involved at a first instance (try before you buy?) without spending cash to build or change their car. Category Management makes the call on whether they can run or not so we don't end up with a bunch of Sports Sedans running..

As for T/A - similar theory except for there's a bunch of those cars which comply to the same set of regs, so why not give them their own class when they want to run? There's been plans underway since Muscle Car Masters last year to get the T/A guys on the grid at some point. Doing it at QR - regardless of the size of the TCM field entered or not - made sense as all the cars are running there.

For the record, a bunch of them will run at Bathurst with the category as well, whilst they're running as their own stand-alone races at MCM in September.

A point was made somewhere else about there being three variations of the regs already this year. Common practice as things are fine-tuned throughout the year. Aus GT and Porsche GT3CC are two examples to be on V3 of their Sporting & Tech regs for this year.

EDIT: With regards to signage. The commercial reality of the modern motorsport landscape is that there needed to be more flexibility in giving sponsors adequate representation on the cars, and in particular with the respective liveries used, to help their bang-for-bucks. The series might run old cars, but you need modern commercial sensibilities to run at a national level so the rules were relaxed.

However there's still an encouragement that cars run something related to 'period' schemes to keep it looking slightly old-school.

To be honest, old cars with funky modern wraps look pretty silly anyway so most maintain some form of simple scheme as it suits the cars better anyway.
Thanks Richard for going to the trouble of such a detailed and informative response. It is sure above the usual standard here.

Two points if I may:

1. I was not critical of the number of versions of the 2015 regulations. I accept your point. What I was critical of was that no version of 2015 had been loaded on the website by mid July 2015.
2. If the "invitational" class cars are outside the TCM regs then they must be "illegal" in a TCM race, Is there not then a legal issue if they are involved in an incident, as strictly speaking they should not be out there?
Old 4 Aug 2015, 04:31 (Ref:3563662)   #95
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Tilley and Cricky's cars should be repairable in the timeframe between rounds, and - assuming he's not off racing one of the MARC cars entries in some far corner of the world - Keith still owns the HQ GTS should he run.

Others like Youlden (HQ), Hunter (Monza), McLeod (XA Coupe), Freestone (Camaro) etc will be back later in the year so the grid will be fine.

There's also two new SLR 5000s under construction at the moment as well, one of which should be ready for MCM.
Great news on all fronts.
Old 4 Aug 2015, 05:27 (Ref:3563669)   #96
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Thanks Richard for going to the trouble of such a detailed and informative response. It is sure above the usual standard here.

Two points if I may:

1. I was not critical of the number of versions of the 2015 regulations. I accept your point. What I was critical of was that no version of 2015 had been loaded on the website by mid July 2015.
2. If the "invitational" class cars are outside the TCM regs then they must be "illegal" in a TCM race, Is there not then a legal issue if they are involved in an incident, as strictly speaking they should not be out there?
1. Yep. It probably slipped through the net, but most access via the CAMS regs site anyway. Fixed now.
2. Invitational cars aren't 'illegal', because they've been invited to compete, comply to the relevant CAMS regs relating to safety and eligibility, entry forms have been completed, fees paid and all the same processes completed as any other entrant. They run at the discretion of the Category management and as such are as legitimate as any other entrant.

Think of it as the same way the MARC race cars run as an 'invited' class at the Bathurst 12 Hour, without currently conforming to any acknowledged regulations for a race series in Australia.
Old 7 Aug 2015, 22:33 (Ref:3564493)   #97
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
1. Yep. It probably slipped through the net, but most access via the CAMS regs site anyway. Fixed now.
2. Invitational cars aren't 'illegal', because they've been invited to compete, comply to the relevant CAMS regs relating to safety and eligibility, entry forms have been completed, fees paid and all the same processes completed as any other entrant. They run at the discretion of the Category management and as such are as legitimate as any other entrant.

Think of it as the same way the MARC race cars run as an 'invited' class at the Bathurst 12 Hour, without currently conforming to any acknowledged regulations for a race series in Australia.
Hi, for interest are you the same Richard Craill whose name came up as a commentator on Speedweeks coverage of the Philip Island GT race.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 21:03 (Ref:3564660)   #98
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Quote:
Hi, for interest are you the same Richard Craill whose name came up as a commentator on Speedweeks coverage of the Philip Island GT race.
Guilty as charged.
Old 19 Nov 2015, 03:51 (Ref:3591404)   #99
Terry S
Racer

EDDIE ALBELNICA

Just how good is EDDIE ALBELNICA, or is it his car?

At the Eastern Creek round of TCM, he qualified 2nd and had two seconds and an eighth in the three races.

At Bathurst round he qualified 4th and had three thirds in the three races.

To me that is very good results.

He seems to have had little track experience, but did some Thunderdrome racing. As TCM has only 7 or 8 meetings a year he doesn't get a lot of experience from TCM.

Is it the car, the Falcon Hardtop? Is it so much better than the Mustangs, despite the same mechanicals?
Old 19 Nov 2015, 04:50 (Ref:3591406)   #100
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just how good is EDDIE ALBELNICA, or is it his car?

At the Eastern Creek round of TCM, he qualified 2nd and had two seconds and an eighth in the three races.

At Bathurst round he qualified 4th and had three thirds in the three races.

To me that is very good results.

He seems to have had little track experience, but did some Thunderdrome racing. As TCM has only 7 or 8 meetings a year he doesn't get a lot of experience from TCM.

Is it the car, the Falcon Hardtop? Is it so much better than the Mustangs, despite the same mechanicals?
I think Eddie is a pretty handy steerer, he did a great job in AUSCAR back in the day, and scored some great results in NASCAR at the AGP as well.

In other TCM news, what do we make of the series moving towards mostly racing with the Shannons Nationals next year, with just two rounds with V8SC?