Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 16 Nov 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3590756)   #201
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This season was pretty much groundhog day from last year wasn't it. Ogier starting the season like an absolute winning machine, Latvala falling miles and miles adrift, then Ogier starting to make mistakes midway and Latvala finally finding consistency albeit way too late to challenge for the championship.

Meanwhile Hyundai not really able to challenge on pace, Citroen showing flashes of winning pace before Meeke bins it and Ford not really challenging with two fairly uninspiring drivers. Kubica incapable of not throwing his car at the scenery at least once a day.

Not really sure how or why 2016 will be any different, either.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 08:51 (Ref:3590768)   #202
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would love to see Meeke in a VW (or Citroen improve the DS3 to put him on a level playing field); he is the only non-VW who has consistently pushed the Polos this year. Admittedly he has binned it a few times; would like to see him in a VW to see if his accidents have been due to him having to push the DS3 so hard to keep up with the Polos.

Fair point with regards to Kubica: he is spectacular to watch right up until the moment he crashes though.

I will certainly tune in next year, but 2017 is the season I'm really looking forward to. Watching RallyGB this weekend the cars looked like great sliding around in the mud: they should be even better in their 2017 guise.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3590769)   #203
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More aero and power. I predict even less sliding in 2017 to be quick. Neat, tidy, a bit dull. Would like to be wrong however!
Old 16 Nov 2015, 09:06 (Ref:3590773)   #204
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
More aero and power. I predict even less sliding in 2017 to be quick. Neat, tidy, a bit dull. Would like to be wrong however!
I'm not sure how much the aero will help when they are talking about an extra 80 BHP (and I would think at least an extra 80 ft. lbs. of torque). The return of electronic centre diffs is the only thing that concerns me a bit; the 2.0L cars with trick centre diffs were way more planted and, as you say, massively favoured a neat and tidy driving style.

The current 1.6L cars have pleasantly surprised me as you see them sideways far more often than I was expecting, I hope the forthcoming rule changes don't alter that.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 10:27 (Ref:3590783)   #205
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
This season was pretty much groundhog day from last year wasn't it. Ogier starting the season like an absolute winning machine, Latvala falling miles and miles adrift, then Ogier starting to make mistakes midway and Latvala finally finding consistency albeit way too late to challenge for the championship.

Meanwhile Hyundai not really able to challenge on pace, Citroen showing flashes of winning pace before Meeke bins it and Ford not really challenging with two fairly uninspiring drivers. Kubica incapable of not throwing his car at the scenery at least once a day.

Not really sure how or why 2016 will be any different, either.
Hard to disagree with any of that.

Has to be said though that the sight of the cars blasting through the Welsh forests is still great
Old 16 Nov 2015, 11:12 (Ref:3590785)   #206
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That seems to be the thinking - and was reported by Gronholm himself.

Not sure that is the way they should be going; rallying's USP was always sideways action. Yes, they'll be fast, but I'm not sure that's enough.
Old 16 Nov 2015, 14:00 (Ref:3590820)   #207
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The rally is no longer a National 'event' as the RAC was; it's a regional event based in North Wales which simply isn't of interest to the mainstream media. .[/QUOTE]

Add in the fact that the roads are narrow and twisty, policed by the most motorist unfriendly force in the UK, lack of Hotels etc, etc.
Old 22 Nov 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3592448)   #208
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't realise the reason for Mikkelsen missing shakedown was because he had to go and see the VW doctor apparently. Whatever it was, they're obviously not going to say.

Anyway, a few thoughts for 2016.

Evans out of M-Sport and Ostberg in his place? Would be very harsh on Evans as he has shown promise. I presume Tanak brings some sponsorship money with him?

Meeke retained by Citroen for testing duties and occasional rallies? That would be better for his career in the longer time than a short term full season drive - maybe.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:26 (Ref:3592662)   #209
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
I didn't realise the reason for Mikkelsen missing shakedown was because he had to go and see the VW doctor apparently. Whatever it was, they're obviously not going to say.

Anyway, a few thoughts for 2016.

Evans out of M-Sport and Ostberg in his place? Would be very harsh on Evans as he has shown promise. I presume Tanak brings some sponsorship money with him?

Meeke retained by Citroen for testing duties and occasional rallies? That would be better for his career in the longer time than a short term full season drive - maybe.
Tanak has personal sponsors but does not pay for his drive, that's my understanding. So still very much up in the air.
Old 27 Nov 2015, 17:23 (Ref:3593699)   #210
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Tanak has personal sponsors but does not pay for his drive, that's my understanding. So still very much up in the air.
Not any more, sort of...

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/novem...2--12-12-.html
Old 5 Dec 2015, 14:12 (Ref:3595675)   #211
cg7aa
Veteran

Mads heads back to MSport; I guess Malcolm Wilson needs a consistent points finisher. His team mate could be a surprise charger; his pace was impressive in GB last month given it was his first time in the event.

Meeke is apparently close to a Toyota deal; I was hoping he would get a year of testing with Citroen and come back full time in 2017. Where does that leave Citroen in terms of future drivers?
Old 5 Dec 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3595731)   #212
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the changes are about one thing, and that is money.

M Sport are really struggling for cash at the very top elite level. And let's face ot the car is not top drawer.

Both these deals are not done on talent alone.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 12:58 (Ref:3595896)   #213
ArnageWRC
Racer

UK-ROI
Nord Ouest Ingleterre
ArnageWRC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, everybody though the M-Sport driver choices were down to money - as it is thought that Malcolm himself has funded the last season or 2 - and got very little in return. It was thought Camilli was bring cash, and possible backing from the FFSA.

However, according to the latest WRC podcast - the Camilli deal isn't down to cash, they had to do a deal to release him from TMG.

He's shown promise, but I think there are others who have shown more - and they won't be spending the season learning the WRCar and new events.

I just think next year will be another VW walkover - and everybody hopes that 2017 will be a new dawn. Sadly, it happens all too often in the WRC - a new dawn, but nothing changes.
Old 6 Dec 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3595914)   #214
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnageWRC View Post
Well, everybody though the M-Sport driver choices were down to money - as it is thought that Malcolm himself has funded the last season or 2 - and got very little in return. It was thought Camilli was bring cash, and possible backing from the FFSA.

However, according to the latest WRC podcast - the Camilli deal isn't down to cash, they had to do a deal to release him from TMG.

He's shown promise, but I think there are others who have shown more - and they won't be spending the season learning the WRCar and new events.

What is Wilsons hope really? That Camilli will challenge for podiums? I can hardly believe this will be a switch up from Evans and Tänak.

I find it even harder to believe that Wilson wanted Camilli so bad that he had Camilli released from TMG because of his potential. No one would think of him in a manufacture seat because of his efforts this season. There has to be something more to it and I still guess money
Old 6 Dec 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3595918)   #215
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These guys all have agents who also work in all sorts of other sports, that probably has as much to do with it as anything else.

Let's wait to see what the car looks like and see what new sponsors are on it, that will tell you everything. If nothing new then it is a risk, if not then you know what the reason was.
Old 15 Dec 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3598026)   #216
cg7aa
Veteran

New Generation i20.

New Generation i20.

http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/decem...5--12-12-.html
Old 16 Dec 2015, 08:46 (Ref:3598108)   #217
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Seems like Meeke will be staying at Citroen...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/122258

...have to say that, based on what we have seen thus far, Citroen certainly seems to be a safer bet for Kris than Toyota. As much as I hope that Toyota arrive on the scene with a competitive car in 2017, what has been seen of their program hasn't filled me with confidence.

Citroen do seem to have gone off the boil a bit over the last couple of years, but they are making the right noises now and, with the WTCC effort ditched, they will surely be more focused on the WRC.
Old 16 Dec 2015, 11:16 (Ref:3598126)   #218
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I'm glad to see they stuck by him, after all the negative comments. Kris is one man who can take the fight to Ogier and hopefully the car will be good enough to top the Frenchman