Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2001, 13:54 (Ref:123270)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monty's Curse

What HAS this guy gotta do to win a GP?? A FORY ONE SECOND pitstop that cooks his engine. BAH!
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:00 (Ref:123274)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hehe - Go Ralf
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:01 (Ref:123275)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is pretty galling, but it cannot be long before that first win comes. He demonstrates great poise while leading and even more importantly, when the car lets him down.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:10 (Ref:123284)   #4
Tristan
Veteran

BUT IS IT A CURSE?? We must all join together and look to Beelzebub for the answer.........
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:15 (Ref:123290)   #5
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, he'll pull one off eventually.....maybe Monza?

Although, now that you mention it Tristan, he had similar problems last year in Cart.... Nah, just the coincidence of two unreliable cars.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 14:42 (Ref:123318)   #6
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a coincidence !!!

Barrichello had a similar fuel supplier problem...

Germany for germans ???

PS: Montoya trashed Ralf today. No doubt !.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:05 (Ref:123340)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will come.

That's pretty much like Senna had until his first win...
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:09 (Ref:123344)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
What a coincidence !!!

Barrichello had a similar fuel supplier problem...

Germany for germans ???

Exactly, BMW and Williams stand to make far more money from Ralf winning at home than JPM getting his first win. This sport is becoming far too polital.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:12 (Ref:123347)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's race was sabotaged. I was watching the race with a mix of F1 and tintop people and as Montoya pulled into the pits, I said, "They will screw him out of this race in the pit stop." And it was a NASCAR person who pointed out that the tire guys were moving slowly - and the rest you know.

Montoya's race was sabotaged.

That's all I have to say on that subject.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:13 (Ref:123348)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
damn.

he'll get there eventually. i'm just curious what his choice words to the pr lady were..
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:27 (Ref:123360)   #11
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh come on, they did not sabotage JPM's race, he was just unlucky. If you see politics in that then you'll see it in anything.

The red flags being brought out, when all they had to so was clean the track in the 3 or so minutes it would have taken to drive around behind the safety car, was more of a conspiracy. Yet again that showed FIA's complete bias towards Ferrari and TGF in particular.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:40 (Ref:123375)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can pick your conspiracy and I will pick mine!
Old 29 Jul 2001, 15:55 (Ref:123389)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the spirit of Ayrton who don't want allow Montoya to win, because he is a "bad boy". Also he is in a mystical fight with the Devil Wolfgang von Trips who is the controller of the soul of Michael Schumacher.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 16:01 (Ref:123393)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apologies for my previous post - I don't feel good today. I tell about my symbolisms on F1, von Trips is a good character to expose the hidden sides of M Schumacher, but I'm not secure he is a bad man.

What a shame about Montoya: It seems like a curse to him! Perhaps he need this that Niki Lauda ever said, that what a driver starts to win races when he uses his head.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 16:38 (Ref:123410)   #15
Murph
Racer

Murph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
“to finish first…first you have to finish”

Juan Pablo took a big step in establishing himself as a future star this weekend….his first pole position followed by a great stint in the lead……BUT…..he was taught a lesson today that Niki Lauda was taught in his first season with Ferrari in 1974. That year, Niki developed the 312B into the best package. Niki would have easily won his first WDC that year except for his little problem of breaking his car…..instead of driving the car to victories at the slowest speed possible, Niki drove all out with the result being only 2 wins…..and too many breakdowns while leading. Niki learned his lesson (he is such a bright boy) and the following year he earned the first of his 3 WDC’s.

I hope that Juan Pablo has learned something today. I would imagine that Ralf was taking a verbal shot at JPM at the press conference when he alluded to JPM’s decision to drive off into the distance while he (Ralf) kept him self safely in front of the rest of the pack while also saving his BMW engine. ( more than a hint that in Ralfs mind it was Juan Pablo that broke the BMW….not the BMW engine breaking Juan) But even if Ralf was just talking smack….there is more than a grain of truth in what he said….. I am not a big fan of Montoya’s personality (his escapade in Montreal with Jacques was the last straw for me..)…but he has the makings of one hell of a driver. AND… most importantly…..he seems to not make the same mistake twice. Also, EERO pointed out Juan’s positive demeanor when his race ended…… who knows…a couple of years from now when looking back at today’s events….Juan Pablo will realize that the final lesson was taught….and he was now totally prepared for all future examinations…..

One other thing…..ANYBODY who actually thinks that Sir Frank Williams, Patrick Head, and Gerhard Berger would sabotage one of their drivers from winning a Grand Prix (not talking about instituting team orders here..as Williams have done that in the past…talking about DELIBERATELY SABOTAGING one of their drivers) should get in touch with their pharmacists and get their medication refilled……and remember……don’t operate any heavy machinery!!!!!! As on all forums, there are a lot of ill conceived statements posted…..but……but to accuse Williams of this…….. is just unfathomable…..

Murph
Old 29 Jul 2001, 16:44 (Ref:123416)   #16
francis
Rookie

francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right on Murph - and I don't always agree with you. It was obvious that the BMW was on the edge of its longevity limit, JPM didn't sit in the pits for 23 mins of teh half hour warm up out of bravado (And most of teh laps that Ralf was meanwhile doing were in the T car) Martin Brundle mentioned that to JPM in the grid interview - then JPM goes out full blast while Ralf was more sensible.

While JPM is a good driver he is over-agressive and should learn to use his head. Maybe it would have made no differemce but maybe it would. And in the end Ralf did finish.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 16:51 (Ref:123418)   #17
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
Yeah...that whole 9 second lead was SUCH a trashing. Whatever happened during the race, it's the final result that counts...and that result says 1. Ralf Schumacher and DNF: Montoya.

Of course Montoya will win - but sometimes it's a long time coming. He didn't win this race, which is hardly the end of the world. I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be other opportunities - and a lot of them.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 16:53 (Ref:123419)   #18
Liz
Veteran

No, I don't believe the head people at Williams sabotaged Juan Pablo's car. That would indeed be stupid and senseless, and I wouldn't even think it. It was well established that the race itself was a car-breaker and that was danger enough. I think the sabotage was of the same order of that which caused Ferrari to "lose" Eddie's wheel and thus make sure he didn't take the Ferrari championship that "belonged" to TGF. It does not take much to sabotage a pit stop when seconds are concerned, and IMO they should have been more subtle about it. Nevertheless, that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

In every race where TGF disappears into the distance, not to mention the British GP where Mika did the same, everyone is quick to say that this is brilliant driving. When Montoya does it he gets a paternalistic pat on the head and told not to abuse his car. Isn't this sort of strange?

However, in the end I agree with Murph (as always) that the best thing to do is learn from what happens to us, and that Ralf should be more of a gentleman than to trash talk his teammate because the day will come when Juan Pablo will return the favour and Ralf will not get much sympathy.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 17:02 (Ref:123423)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
...Ralf should be more of a gentleman than to trash talk his teammate because the day will come when Juan Pablo will return the favour and Ralf will not get much sympathy.
But its going to amke the next year very interesting. Shades of Piquet and Mansell.

I had noticed the tire guys moving slowly as well during Montoya's stop, but once I saw the fuel guy pull away in bemusement, I figured they had been awrwe there was a problem. Even so, when the the refueler disengaged the mechanism, the stop was still within range for JPM to keep the lead.

It was a rig problem, I categorically dismiss the idea of a conspiracy here.

Mekola, I thought your comments were kind of funny, don't worry, no one will take offense.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 17:22 (Ref:123431)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

But its going to amke the next year very interesting. Shades of Piquet and Mansell.

I had noticed the tire guys moving slowly as well during Montoya's stop, but once I saw the fuel guy pull away in bemusement, I figured they had been awrwe there was a problem. Even so, when the the refueler disengaged the mechanism, the stop was still within range for JPM to keep the lead.

It was a rig problem, I categorically dismiss the idea of a conspiracy here.

Mekola, I thought your comments were kind of funny, don't worry, no one will take offense.
Ditto !
Old 29 Jul 2001, 17:50 (Ref:123445)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Liz: In Brazil JPM drove an AMAZING race and was very unlucky. Here he drove an OK race, nothing overly special and was unlucky. Let's face it, as in previous years, a chimpanzee could have driven that Williams today and won. Which is why i don't overly rate Damon Hill, but that's a different thing ALTOGETHER!!
Old 29 Jul 2001, 18:20 (Ref:123455)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry guys the next Senna will have his day...

I will not say JPM drove a good race, because I think part of a good race involves using your head, which Ralf did and JPM didn't. He drove well at the start of the race but, his engine was probably already overheating when he pulled in for his pitstop. The extra time he spent in the pit stall just sealed the deal.

And I wonder what it was he said to the William's press girl after his engine failure?

I guess to me, JPM has always seemed like a spoiled baby that keeps asking for his bottle.

Last edited by Jay; 29 Jul 2001 at 18:21.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 19:16 (Ref:123468)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by ozywoodwards
The red flags being brought out, when all they had to so was clean the track in the 3 or so minutes it would have taken to drive around behind the safety car, was more of a conspiracy. Yet again that showed FIA's complete bias towards Ferrari and TGF in particular.
Sorry, you are talking rubbish... there was so much debris on the track that it was an unacceptable risk to let the cars continue on such a high speed circuit having driven through it a couple of times... far too much chance of a repeat of Imola 94... I so didn't want Michael to win that race, but I was sitting there shouting at the TV for them to stop the race - it was the right decision to make at that time.

Go Montoya - bad luck today, but I look forward to this lot being forced to eat their words...
Old 29 Jul 2001, 19:39 (Ref:123476)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Monty's Curse

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
What HAS this guy gotta do to win a GP?? A FORY ONE SECOND pitstop that cooks his engine. BAH!
I guess it's the same problem that many other cars have encountered with FIA's fuel installation during this season.
Old 29 Jul 2001, 20:19 (Ref:123482)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Go Montoya - bad luck today, but I look forward to this lot being forced to eat their words...
i believe eventually quite a few forum members will require seasoning and a wide variety of sauces to go with their hats as well as their words...