Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Jun 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1338420)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How Good is Justin Wilson?

How do you rate Justin Wilson. I don't think anyone will say that he's the next Hiro Masush|tsa , but exactly how good do you think he is?

He's obviously got the pedigree as ex-F3000 champ. He did fairly well at Minardi as a rookie, but wasn't stellar at Jaguar, although that team had a reputation for getting lackluster results with good drivers. Last year he had periodic impressive positioning in the Mi-Jack car and this year he's been close to the front and outperformed AJ, except at Milwaukee.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 15:17 (Ref:1338422)   #2
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he's a legitimate midfield contender, which this season can mean finishing anywhere on the grid
Old 23 Jun 2005, 15:20 (Ref:1338424)   #3
trevisio
Racer

United Kingdom
In my house
trevisio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good, actually I'd go as far to say extremely good.

I raced him a long time ago in karts, which aren't the best froms of transport for long legged individuals like Justin! He was extremely rapid and blessed with the midas touch where racecraft is concerned. He is even better now. I was gutted for him when his car broke last weekend.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 15:41 (Ref:1338434)   #4
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilson is an extremely good driver and, in my opinion, is amongst the five most skilled competitors in the current Champ Car line-up (beside Sébastien Bourdais, Paul Tracy, Cristiano da Matta and A. J. Allmendinger - I need to see more of Timo Glock's racecraft to pass a judgement on him). I saw Wilson driving in Formula 3000 and Formula 1 and I was much impressed, particularly with his ability to keep driving pace along a race and with his precision. It is a shame that Wilson is not in Formula 1, and I have seen and heard enough on Jaguar to completely excuse Wilson and Pizzonia for not shining when driving the green cats.

Last year I predicted he would score Dale Coyne Racing its first victory and he almost did it. I will not be surprised if he grab the Champ Car title next year (I believe Allmendinger and Wilson will remain at RüSPORT for 2006, and by them this team will be a powerhouse).
Old 23 Jun 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1338440)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Muzza - Wilson has never driven for Dale Coyne.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1338445)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He must've meant Conquest. The point is still valid - impressive though his resutls have been, there have been times where a bit of luck would have translated into even more. I'd be inclined to agree with Muzza's perspective on who the top 5 drivers currnetly out there are. It's particularly intersting than he's outperformed Allmendinger, who was the incumbant driver, and essentially the man who lead them into ChampCars in the first place.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1338449)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Muzza - Wilson has never driven for Dale Coyne.

Thanks for the correction, Kicking-back.

I am embarrassed - maybe a case of too many yellow cars in my mind. Indeed as you pointed Wilson never drove for DCR; I meant Conquest Racing.

My apologies,

Muzza
Old 23 Jun 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1338472)   #8
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I rate Justin Wilson extremely high. I think he has an edge on AJ and is on a similar to same level as Bourdais. Wilson did impressed a lot of people in his stint for Minardi and drove fantistically considering his equipment. He also shone with the Conquest team and he's showing he's a legitimate contender for race wins with RuSport.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1338483)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I never really knew who he was until he started in a ChampCar, but I am quite impressed by Wilson. I think he's very good and has a bright future in this series. His first win can happen at any time.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1338485)   #10
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It's particularly intersting than he's outperformed Allmendinger, who was the incumbant driver, and essentially the man who lead them into ChampCars in the first place.
I don't think this should come as any great surprise. Wilson has a lot more experience than AJ in upper tier racecars. He is probably helping his engineer as much as his engineer is helping him. I imagine AJ is probably still rather dependant on his engineer however. I rate both drivers rather highly and think AJ can learn alot from Wilson, not unlike Dominguez and Roberto Moreno a couple of years back.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Wilson challenge for the title this year, if he keeps going from strength to strength.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Jun 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1338507)   #11
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
He is probably helping his engineer as much as his engineer is helping him. I imagine AJ is probably still rather dependant on his engineer however. I rate both drivers rather highly and think AJ can learn alot from Wilson, not unlike Dominguez and Roberto Moreno a couple of years back.
AJ has admitted that he is a driver, NOT and engineer and that he doesn't understand engineering or race setup much at all.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1338519)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So do you think technical abilities are the difference between Wilson and AJ? It's true that this year AJ has complained of problems with his car and Wilson has driven away with an apparently quiet capable car.

I'm starting to think that I've underrated Wilson and overrated AJ. I don't know that I'd put Wilson in Bourdias' catagory, but he's definately in the top 8 drivers. The way he's performing makes me think that maybe he will become Bourdias' closest competitor on driving skill. I'm not at all upset that Wilson isn't in F1, to bad for F1! AJ is really struggling this year, I'm starting to wonder if we've all hyped him up too much because we wanted to see him succeed so much.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1338568)   #13
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think AJ is overrated, he is still young. He has made very big moves up the ladder, Barber Dodge, Atlantic and now Champ Car. All within 3 years. He still has a lot to learn, especially in a series that is virtually spec and requires a solid car to move up to the front with.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 23 Jun 2005, 19:05 (Ref:1338587)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He is very good. Comfortably beat both Enge and Webber and was able to hold a very fast race pace or overtake as required during his F3000 championship. He seems to take a couple of years to get a proper feel for a type of car, so don't be surprised if he's right at the front from the end of this season.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 20:51 (Ref:1338664)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I stated in the Coyne thread recently, having good knowledge on the techncial side is more important when you're in an inexperienced or disorganised team (and RuSport is the former, although certianly not the latter), and perhaps Wilson's time in F1 and F3000 has given him a short-term advantage on that. I say 'short-term' because I agree that AJ cna go far in the long term. I wonder how much he learnt from Jourdain last year?
Old 24 Jun 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1338859)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
He is very good. Comfortably beat both Enge and Webber and was able to hold a very fast race pace or overtake as required during his F3000 championship.
I wouldn't say he comfortably beat Webber. They both won four races and if Mark didn't win he usually crashed or had some sort of problem.

Despatched of his team mate (Enge) pretty comfortably though.

I think he is very good. He has a history for taking quite a while to reach the top in any given formula. That he has been this fast this soon in Champ Car should perhaps ring some alarm bells for the opposition.

I've no doubt his first win is just around the corner.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1339163)   #17
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He might be worth a flutter for the 2006 title - I'm sure the odds on him winning it will drop as this season goes on, especially if he continues to outpace AJ and wins a couple of races. I was gutted when he broke down at Portland, but hopefully it's just for suspense.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 05:43 (Ref:1339662)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by N I Tram
and wins a couple of races.
I think that ineviatable this year. Hopefully AJ can bag a few aswell.