Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Dec 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2359641)   #351
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Noske
i drive trucks these days.
At Indy....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 22 Dec 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2359643)   #352
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growling Ferret
Rod Salmon was running a AMG Merc Coupe whale in the recent Duttons Rally when it came to Canberra...

He was big on rallying before V8 Supercars - I remember pushing a (when they were new) brand spanking EVO3 back on to the road after he missed a righthander in a NSW Rally champ round in Canberra. Shame the sump guard and sump were not attached to the car at the time...

... as well as B12 hour winner of 2008 with Mr White & Mr Alexander

The AU chassis ended up with Mr Beikoff... as run by the father & son... and Alex Yoong

Old 22 Dec 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2359653)   #353
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBlahBlah
wheres garth walden these dayss?
Drove the Tander Improved Production RX7 at the last NSW state champioship round at Eastern Creek

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 22 Dec 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2359668)   #354
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV
Terry Finnigan owns/runs the fish and chip shop at the Winston Hills shopping centre in Sydney.

What ever happened to the drivers of the ride of a lifetime or chance of a lifetime drivers. Gazzard and Bates - I think the car ran with the number 3 in 1990....
Is Peter Gazzard still selling cars in Mt Gambier? I remember a sales rep at my work going down to see him, and coming back and telling me that he had come out of his office to see him on a Segway!
Old 23 Dec 2008, 01:53 (Ref:2359982)   #355
rocks harder
Rookie

Denmark
sunny coast
rocks harder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
im pretty sure mark gibbs runs a car part business in slacks creek Qld
Old 23 Dec 2008, 03:10 (Ref:2360000)   #356
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
(What ever happened to the drivers of the ride of a lifetime or chance of a lifetime drivers. Gazzard and Bates - I think the car ran with the number 3 in 1990.... )

It was called Peter Jackson Search for a Champion, I should know, I tried for it. Gazzard won it and I came ?. Oops, that could nearly give the game away

Last edited by billy bigtime; 23 Dec 2008 at 03:12.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 03:47 (Ref:2360004)   #357
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
(What ever happened to the drivers of the ride of a lifetime or chance of a lifetime drivers. Gazzard and Bates - I think the car ran with the number 3 in 1990.... )

It was called Peter Jackson Search for a Champion, I should know, I tried for it. Gazzard won it and I came ?. Oops, that could nearly give the game away
Last?
Old 23 Dec 2008, 03:56 (Ref:2360007)   #358
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Last?
No, I was up the pointy end but quite a bit slower than Gazzard. Our turn was at Winton. I remember drinking Bundy in the spa till 3am next morning with Gricey and a few others, geez, could he drink
Old 23 Dec 2008, 04:14 (Ref:2360011)   #359
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
Dugal MacDougall?
Alan Guuurrr?
Neil Schembri? - one of the nicest blokes I've ever met
Cameron McLean?
Phil Scifleet?
Anthony Robon?
Peter Hills?
Anthony Robson has run the Nurburgring 24Hr with Mal Rose a few times.
Cameron McLean had a few Carrera Cup rides with Sherrin - now doing some car preparation/development
Phil Scifleet was running Fujitsus last year, but I think ran out of funds?

Garth Walden has also been racing the BelGarage Mitsubishi Evo in events like Superlap, and I believe still has the SS Commodore Production Car they ran in the 12Hr which may come out to play again in 09.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2360013)   #360
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I remember one of the finalists telling me that besides him & the two winners, the rest were pretty ordinary, so I either know you or your pretty ordinary.

David
Old 23 Dec 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2360037)   #361
MCWB
Veteran

MCWB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Frank Kleinig & his son (Peter? Can't overly remember at this hour) who ran FVees?
Kleinig Motors in Girraween for Frank. Not sure about Peter.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2360095)   #362
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5
I remember one of the finalists telling me that besides him & the two winners, the rest were pretty ordinary, so I either know you or your pretty ordinary.

David
No doubt about that. How did you go smart arse?
Old 23 Dec 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2360107)   #363
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

Funny to have read the Great Race book for Bathurst 1990... to learn that Brett Youlden and Jason Bargwanna both missed out on places in the 'Search For A Champion' competition....
Old 23 Dec 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2360147)   #364
Wrighty05
Veteran

Australia
Wrighty05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Funny to have read the Great Race book for Bathurst 1990... to learn that Brett Youlden and Jason Bargwanna both missed out on places in the 'Search For A Champion' competition....
Yeah Brett got very very close from memory.
"It was dry for the second go-around. Grice, nervous, worrying about his Bathurst jinx, ran 2:25.9. The amazing Brock, using every last centimetre of bitumen, yet keeping the car straight and balanced and at full noise, came back with a staggering 2:20.0 as if to say: "Match that". And people just shook their heads, bit their lips and wondered who would be second".

RIP Peter Brock. 1945-2006
Old 23 Dec 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2360173)   #365
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Aw come on Billy your killing me. You give plenty but are bit touchy yourself. What was it the close or ordinary?

Was Skaife a judge on that program, or Murph?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:18 (Ref:2360543)   #366
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
I already knew I was ordinary, the person who told me has now been mentioned so I guess I dont know you.

David
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:19 (Ref:2360545)   #367
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by david5
I already knew I was ordinary, the person who told me has now been mentioned so I guess I dont know you.

David
I thought all you had to do was spend another $1,000 and you became less ordinary
Old 24 Dec 2008, 02:46 (Ref:2360555)   #368
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle
Aw come on Billy your killing me. You give plenty but are bit touchy yourself. What was it the close or ordinary?

Was Skaife a judge on that program, or Murph?
It was run as a money making venture, so Skaife couldn't be involved-it would have gone broke
Old 24 Dec 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2360565)   #369
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It was run as a money making venture, so Skaife couldn't be involved-it would have gone broke
is Mark related to Pixie Skase?
Old 24 Dec 2008, 05:39 (Ref:2360591)   #370
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
Quote:
I thought all you had to do was spend another $1,000 and you became less ordinary
Ahh yes, the magical next $1000.00, fortunately I ran out of money & ability about the same time. I never had much of either to start with.

David
Old 25 Dec 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2360940)   #371
JackBlahBlah
Racer

Australia
Victoria,Australia
JackBlahBlah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what has happened to alan gurr these days?
Old 25 Dec 2008, 09:17 (Ref:2360965)   #372
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I remember at the time the program copped a lot of flak through one of the TV current affairs programs because some of the entrants allowed to compete included drivers who had upwards of five Bathurst appearances.

Peter Gazzard has appeared sporadically as an endurance co-driver well into the V8 Supercar era, his drive of the Stenniken Commodore in 1997 was a stand-out. Into the 2000s there were some drive in Production based championships but it all petered out as it does for every driver. It was 18 years ago.

Rick Bates was involved with his brothers racing efforts for a long time, running some of Neal Bates Motorsports satellite efforts, notably Daihatsu's (a Toyota subsidiary) factory efforts in circuit racing with Sirions and Copens in production car racing and Lexus Targa rally cars. There was a NSW Rally Championship in one of Neal's hand me down Celicas, and Rick became very big briefly in the world of international cross-continental historic tarmac rallying, winning some very big events in a Porsche 911S rally car. It was while Rick was running some of NBM Targa Tasmania efforts that he met his future wife, former MTV and then current Ten Motorsport presenter Alison Drower who was initially foisted upon Rick as a celebrity pace noter for Ten's Targa Tas coverage. The two have a family now.

Peter today is 47. Rick is 43. I don't think new racing opportunities will be that forthcoming. But for a time they were good. Quite good indeed.
Old 7 Feb 2009, 23:28 (Ref:2390659)   #373
Spunky
Racer

Spunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belly13
Dugal MacDougall?
Alan Guuurrr? Lives on Gold Coast works at Morris's signwriting
Neil Schembri? - one of the nicest blokes I've ever met
Cameron McLean?Has Mclean Motors in Brisbane
Phil Scifleet?Living on Gold Coast about to become 1st time dad
Anthony Robon?
Peter Hills?
racing days seem to be over though
Old 15 Feb 2009, 00:19 (Ref:2397644)   #374
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mal Brewster
John Leffler
Ray Gulson
Spencer Martin
Brian Lawler
Warren Weldon
Garry Wilmington
Bruce Stewart and others

....are passing on their vast knowledge to newbies and not so newbies at FoSC meetings.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 00:26 (Ref:2397646)   #375
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
I remember at the time the program copped a lot of flak through one of the TV current affairs programs because some of the entrants allowed to compete included drivers who had upwards of five Bathurst appearances.

Peter Gazzard has appeared sporadically as an endurance co-driver well into the V8 Supercar era, his drive of the Stenniken Commodore in 1997 was a stand-out. Into the 2000s there were some drive in Production based championships but it all petered out as it does for every driver. It was 18 years ago.

Rick Bates was involved with his brothers racing efforts for a long time, running some of Neal Bates Motorsports satellite efforts, notably Daihatsu's (a Toyota subsidiary) factory efforts in circuit racing with Sirions and Copens in production car racing and Lexus Targa rally cars. There was a NSW Rally Championship in one of Neal's hand me down Celicas, and Rick became very big briefly in the world of international cross-continental historic tarmac rallying, winning some very big events in a Porsche 911S rally car. It was while Rick was running some of NBM Targa Tasmania efforts that he met his future wife, former MTV and then current Ten Motorsport presenter Alison Drower who was initially foisted upon Rick as a celebrity pace noter for Ten's Targa Tas coverage. The two have a family now.

Peter today is 47. Rick is 43. I don't think new racing opportunities will be that forthcoming. But for a time they were good. Quite good indeed.
Mr Gazzard still competes in Targa Rallies... and has one of his toys for sale here

Would have looked better run next weekend though in the B12