Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:07 (Ref:836230)   #1
stido
Racer

stido should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren's New Problem

Guess what peeps, McLaren now have a new problem, first it was the seats, now it is the rear wing that is not in regulation of the 2004 rules. Kimi Raikkonen just broke the lap record at jerez when they found this out

i hate to say it but my favourite team may be going down the gurgler
Old 13 Jan 2004, 06:20 (Ref:836237)   #2
GT-Vixen
Rookie

GT-Vixen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol...rules are rules
Old 13 Jan 2004, 07:21 (Ref:836276)   #3
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strange they didn't study the rules the due way!
The rear wing is not certainly a minimum detail... who knows?
Anyways is an appreciable step further compared to mess the whole car up, like it happened last year!
Maybe, in a couple of decades, they will find the right solution at the first attempt ..
Old 13 Jan 2004, 07:50 (Ref:836284)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piffling details!lol
They'll clear up these things in heaps of time to give furrari a pasting-and maybe even beat williams
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:35 (Ref:836317)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will the MP4-19 be consigned to the museum too?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:46 (Ref:836323)   #6
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly a new problem or a mistake from not reading the rules. It has been discussed in other threads that it isn't a 2004 spec wing
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:52 (Ref:836330)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't be writing them off just yet, i'm confident they'll still be taking the fight up to both Ferrari & Williams.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:54 (Ref:836332)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: McLaren's New Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by stido
Guess what peeps, McLaren now have a new problem, first it was the seats, now it is the rear wing that is not in regulation of the 2004 rules. Kimi Raikkonen just broke the lap record at jerez when they found this out

As this is testing, i don't see that they have done anything illegal, teams can run underweight if they desire! (not that i can see the point of that)

Last edited by Mr V; 13 Jan 2004 at 08:56.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 08:57 (Ref:836335)   #9
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
How does it not confirm to the rules? Any stories on this?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:06 (Ref:836346)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what I understand they are running the 2003 rear wing (as mentioned above). It is slowly morphing into the '04 spec. car. There were suggestions that it is pretty radical, but we'll see.

If they are running 2003 wings then it doesn't conform because the rules have changed, I think, and they are allowed less elements.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:26 (Ref:836359)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wonder if it'll be as radial as some of the 1997 low-downforce spec endplates, run by williams, prost (when they were competitive) and co.... In my opinion i thoght they looked great, although the ultra low drag williams wing didn't float my boat.

Ed
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:39 (Ref:836366)   #12
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about the fact that McLaren's leading testdriver Alex Wurz does not fit into the car at all. He never drove the car yet and he may not going to drive it. According to a friend who works there, he can not even get into the cockpit :-).
Old 13 Jan 2004, 09:56 (Ref:836379)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So he may have no use to McLaren unless the fit all the running gear back into the MP4-18 or MP4-17D....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 13 Jan 2004, 10:14 (Ref:836396)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hardly think it's the case they "just discovered the wing doesn't meet the 2004 regulations."

They knew that all along.

It's just testing.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 13:53 (Ref:836655)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They were either back toback testing wings, in order to better understand the ins and outs of the regulation change, or popping some quick times with the faster wing for PR value (they apparently had a session when Williams and McLaren were both running with very low fuel and just seeing how quick they could go) since prior to that headline grabbing time they had been off the headlines for several days in a row because the FW26 had been so consistently fast.

I see Williams have completed a full race simulation without a single problem - very good sign for them and probably much more meaningful than actual lap times.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 14:15 (Ref:836683)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glen's probably summed thigns up here. Williams got a lot of attention when they launcehd their car, aprtly due to the radical front wing, and McLaren were keen to gain some publicity, and setting fast times was the easiest way considering that the car is less unusual on the outside. The new rear wings are probably slower on paper, but, as ever, other technical improvements and a gradual understanding of how to perfect a rear wing under the new rules will see times advance beyond last year's.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 16:41 (Ref:836867)   #17
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is something else that confuses me even more - on Macs' home page (www.mclaren.co.uk) there is a picture of MP-4/19 with totally different rear wing than what they use in Jerez, and it seems to be with two parts instead of three, so it might comlpy with '04 rules?????
Old 13 Jan 2004, 17:05 (Ref:836892)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes - I don't think it is the case that they haven't got two element rear wing - merely that they used a 2003 rear wing for that session in which they achieved the fast time.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 00:26 (Ref:837327)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geez, I just hope it wasn't Ferrari who ratted them out!

I'd hate to see the posts if that were the case!

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Jan 2004, 01:36 (Ref:837381)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Glen is most likely correct. Since this is testing, they can do whatever they want. I recall last year Minardi was fresh out of tyres so they used F3000 slicks.

It is what the car is wearing when it goes through tech that counts.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 02:52 (Ref:837419)   #21
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Geez, I just hope it wasn't Ferrari who ratted them out!

I'd hate to see the posts if that were the case!

...evidently, some guy with a german accent made the call...at least that will be the story soon

does anybody know if Schumi had any relatives on the grassy knoll?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 08:20 (Ref:837595)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Glen and John are right it is just testing. They could fit skirts, turbos and slicks if they wanted.

I'm not sure about the done for publicity theory. Not really McLaren's style, however you never know. I'm sure it is just part of the testing program. It does confuse me a little. It would have been better to test with a 2004 wing even if it wasn't the definitive one (assuming the hide the real wing theory is right).
Old 14 Jan 2004, 08:54 (Ref:837621)   #23
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus we all know the deal, in testing they try all sorts of combinations an variations to make comparsons for set ups - so they are probably playing with downforce levels.

Were they testing tyres, as they may have wanted to test wear rates?

Or maybe someone reversed over the rear wing in the garage (bit like I once did with the shopping) and totalled it!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 14 Jan 2004 at 08:56.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 09:41 (Ref:837646)   #24
Glen
Veteran

As I've said before, I think back-to-back testing is the most likely explanation - they need to know a benchmark from the wing that they do understand in order to know if the 2004 wing is any good. If they accidently eclipse Williams' times in the process then so much the better! I see Williams are still enjoying a good run - having been quickest in wet testing, although not against McLaren.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:11 (Ref:837671)   #25
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do the cars undergo any kind of scrutineering when they attend tests or could they turn up with a totally outside the rules development car?