Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 20 Oct 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1742980)   #1
hotwheels
Racer

hotwheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perera in World Series V6

According to Italiaracing.net (as usual for this ladder series...) Franck Perera will, race in Barcelona next week, for leading tem Interwetten.com in the World Series V6 car.

What do you think about this?
Old 20 Oct 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1743023)   #2
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The article also states that Perera is dropped from the Toyota academy
Old 20 Oct 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1743068)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think i read the thing about toyota elsewhere too, could have been on his website.

i think it's a good choice. it's evidently a reasonable car, and he's not got anything to lose.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 12:17 (Ref:1743097)   #4
hotwheels
Racer

For one race maybe it is ok. But I think he should apply for a champcar driver next year, or just try to stay in GP2, if he can make it without TDA money.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:34 (Ref:1743156)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i'd not recommend a full year of wsr to anyone unless they had certain gurantees about having the best car... which i don't believe would be available in this case.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1746222)   #6
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be a shame for him, since he seemed to be pretty fast but was limited by Dams all year. But if he's lost the Toyota money, it will be hard to keep a career going. I guess being the karting World Champion doesn't count for much after all.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1746262)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
unless your name is liuzzi and you have seriously bad hair...
Old 23 Oct 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1746298)   #8
hotwheels
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman
That would be a shame for him, since he seemed to be pretty fast but was limited by Dams all year. But if he's lost the Toyota money, it will be hard to keep a career going. I guess being the karting World Champion doesn't count for much after all.
He as was world champion at FA (not Super A, which was the toughest at that time) and it did count, of course. He got support from Toyota, who gave him the chance of racing for some of the best teams in Europe. He had his chance, IMO.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1746400)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
best teams in europe, but not in the best circumstances. in 2005 he did pretty darn well considering he had a rubbish engine (and evidently a good team), and was usually the quickest opel car especially towards the end of the year (iirc). didn't he win the rookie thingy in 2004?
Old 23 Oct 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1746407)   #10
Jackman
Veteran

I'm not sure that Dams qualifies as one of Europe's best teams. Particularly in GP2.
Old 23 Oct 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1746728)   #11
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dams as one of Europes best teams? Nah, sure they did well in A1 GP last year but that was because they were running what, 4 cars? If you look at their results from GP2 they definatley seem to be lacking something. Sure they arent one of the worst teams out there but they certainly arent one of the best. IMO.

As for Perera, well he had a half decent year in GP2 this year and another season in GP2 coudnt hurt. Who knows perhaps he might improve his postition over this year but he doesent strike me as anything special.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1747143)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Dams as one of Europes best teams? If you look at their results from GP2 they definatley seem to be lacking something. Sure they arent one of the worst teams out there but they certainly arent one of the best. IMO.

As for Perera, well he had a half decent year in GP2 this year and another season in GP2 coudnt hurt. Who knows perhaps he might improve his postition over this year but he doesent strike me as anything special.
DAMS haven't been 'right' for some time, considering they were the class act for many years in 3000.

Perera must have something because he qualified his GP2 car rather well at some venues but had some pretty bad luck, mechanical and accident wise IIRC?

Monaco he ran well, Hockenheim I think he conked out? and there was another venue where he showed good form but something happened out of his control in the race...one of the Monza races?

Ok, so that's a handful of strong showings in a 24 race series or whatever, but in a series that is so competitive it must be some marker of ability?

As bella has mentioned, I think FR 3.5 might be difficult because it appears that talent isn't enough to stay out front in that series, but then if it's a case of that or the wilderness because he hasn't got enough money then he probably ought to go for it.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1747224)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
wsr is a lottery, but from soucek's performances interwetten appear to be reasonably decent at this cast of the dice. i'm really intregued to see how perera does.

dams are difficult to judge. like chunty says, they were class for so long in f3000, but now, i dunno, you could put a hamilton (or someone equally good at winning) in the gp2 car and i don't think it'd win. that's just my opinion though, based on a complete lack of engineering knowhow!
Old 25 Oct 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1748933)   #14
Jackman
Veteran

Dams must be bummed though - Perera/Lapierre is about as close to a dream ticket as they could have hoped for. Oh well, I'm sure Hirate or someone will come along with a budget and an out of date dream.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1749014)   #15
hotwheels
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
As bella has mentioned, I think FR 3.5 might be difficult because it appears that talent isn't enough to stay out front in that series, but then if it's a case of that or the wilderness because he hasn't got enough money then he probably ought to go for it.
Chunt, can you better detail what you mean with "talent is not enough"...? tks!
Old 25 Oct 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1749079)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
'wheels? what do you think yourself? is talent enough?
Old 25 Oct 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1749202)   #17
hotwheels
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
'wheels? what do you think yourself? is talent enough?
No, Bella, I don't think it is enough. But I am wondering what lead you guys to think like this. For me money is naturally a strong factor, but maybe you guys would like to share other points of view. I presume there is quite some interesting points to discuss, but maybe we would go off-topic here.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1749225)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
personally, i think money isn't even enough, especially in the world series. i think an intimate knowledge of the series and the engineers, and who can produce a good car *from that car* is far more important. a lot of drivers seem to either walk into it (or any series for that matter) blind, or resign themselves to not competing for the title when they really could have done a lot better than the team with the best reputation or bullcrap.

putting that back into context, i think the best thing perera could do is beat everyone hands down in these 2 races, and then walk away from the series. great toys, but not for an important reputation establishing year after being dropped by a f1 team. mind you, it worked for kubica...

come on chunty, out with the opinions, what do you think?
Old 26 Oct 2006, 07:53 (Ref:1749670)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
personally, i think money isn't even enough, especially in the world series. i think an intimate knowledge of the series and the engineers, and who can produce a good car *from that car* is far more important. a lot of drivers seem to either walk into it (or any series for that matter) blind, or resign themselves to not competing for the title when they really could have done a lot better than the team with the best reputation or bullcrap.

putting that back into context, i think the best thing perera could do is beat everyone hands down in these 2 races, and then walk away from the series. great toys, but not for an important reputation establishing year after being dropped by a f1 team. mind you, it worked for kubica...

come on chunty, out with the opinions, what do you think?
Hmmm, having opened my eyes to such possibilities recently bella, I was actually waiting for you to do the honours, and you haven't disappointed!

However my slant is generally like this:

This is such a hard subject because on one hand we have a well promoted and organised series with strong powerful cars and packed grids that is quite attractive to drivers and sponsors.

But on the other hand there are many examples of where drivers with hitherto lofty reputations have got bogged down and 'failed to consistently shine.'

Now I don't for a minute believe that this is because they've suddenly forgottten how to drive, but more likely that it's difficult to gain a serious advantage. "This is how a top line one make series should be," I hear you all say a la F3000, GP2 etc...

Well yes, but when drivers with proven reps are struggling against novices, jorneymen or Julio Unheardof, it makes you wonder a bit.

However as bella says people like Kovalainen and Kubica have benefitted from ther series which helped build their growing reps, so we don't want to be too hasty!
Old 30 Oct 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1753679)   #20
old-timer
Rookie

old-timer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ERM, Alonso,Kovalinen,Kubica,Vettells, and many more who have come from the World series, but the odd one does seem to strugle.