Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Jun 2016, 00:55 (Ref:3654960)   #126
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... there is a story floating around right now that Mr McLaughlin has agreed to terms with DJRTP for a 'multi-year multi-million dollar deal'

If true, its odd it hasnt been picked up on one of the news services..

EDIT Its Here

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 25 Jun 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3655002)   #127
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... there is a story floating around right now that Mr McLaughlin has agreed to terms with DJRTP for a 'multi-year multi-million dollar deal'

If true, its odd it hasnt been picked up on one of the news services..

EDIT Its Here

Speedcafe Confirms James Phelps Is Right
Old 25 Jun 2016, 10:11 (Ref:3655004)   #128
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bloody hell what does Scott Pye need to do?

Given Scott is leaving GRM, and rumours of the Stones looking at teams, could that team be GRM?
Old 25 Jun 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3655013)   #129
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Bloody hell what does Scott Pye need to do?

Given Scott is leaving GRM, and rumours of the Stones looking at teams, could that team be GRM?
Stones as in Ross and Jimmy or different Stones altogether?
Old 25 Jun 2016, 11:46 (Ref:3655015)   #130
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Those Stones....
Old 27 Jun 2016, 11:02 (Ref:3655368)   #131
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I don't think Mick and Keith are up for running a race team... but the cars would look fantastic
Old 27 Jun 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3655505)   #132
thetormentor
Racer

Australia
Central Coast NSW
thetormentor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLauglin now confirmed at DJRTP, Scott Pye to miss out..
Old 28 Jun 2016, 00:28 (Ref:3655511)   #133
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
McLaughlin to DJRTP **CONFIRMED**

Does this deal dent the credibility of Dr Story, who said a couple of times that Mr Pye was still driving for his career, and would have til Bathurst to show what he could do?
Old 28 Jun 2016, 01:18 (Ref:3655516)   #134
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe RS/DJ/RP have made arrangements to secure Pye's 'career' ... at different domicile?
Old 28 Jun 2016, 01:33 (Ref:3655518)   #135
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Scotty Pye and I think he has come along really well.
Maybe a straight swap to GRM

Ripped off I think but hey that's the circus
Old 28 Jun 2016, 01:54 (Ref:3655520)   #136
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does this deal dent the credibility of Dr Story, who said a couple of times that Mr Pye was still driving for his career, and would have til Bathurst to show what he could do?
Not really, the jungle drums have been beating fairly loudly for most of the season that it was a done deal. Best to nip in the bud and announce it. I don't think anyone seriously thought that DJR would wait until October to open negotiations with a driver who others were interested in signing. Think Pye did enough to justify retaining the drive, particularly after stepping up in the wake of the Ambrose debacle, but unfortunately loyalty and business often don't go hand in hand.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 02:11 (Ref:3655523)   #137
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81901 View Post
Not really, the jungle drums have been beating fairly loudly for most of the season that it was a done deal. Best to nip in the bud and announce it. I don't think anyone seriously thought that DJR would wait until October to open negotiations with a driver who others were interested in signing. Think Pye did enough to justify retaining the drive, particularly after stepping up in the wake of the Ambrose debacle, but unfortunately loyalty and business often don't go hand in hand.
They usually go hand in hand at Penske, in other markets anyway.

Wonder what happened here?
Old 28 Jun 2016, 02:17 (Ref:3655524)   #138
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least for Pye, and I know it's a blow to him, but at least he has a fair amount of time to find a new gig; if they had of announced this in October, some possible seats would probably be tied up. At this stage he will be the biggest fish in the 2017 Silly Season market.

And whilst Pye has talent, a team of Coulthard and McLauglin is probably in the top 2 or 3 in talent on the grid.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 02:45 (Ref:3655528)   #139
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They usually go hand in hand at Penske, in other markets anyway.

Wonder what happened here?
I agree, Exactly right, its a very short list of Penske drivers who have been booted after just a single full season, Pye joins the likes of Kevin Cogan, Andre Ribeiro and Bill Alsup (not that Bill really counts i guess)
Old 28 Jun 2016, 03:35 (Ref:3655532)   #140
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Could GRM run a Chev-powered Volvo next year? Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article, by Mr Rogers
“As far as we’re concerned we’ll be racing Volvos and we’d like to think we’ll be doing so with Volvo engines.”
Old 28 Jun 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3655535)   #141
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Could GRM run a Chev-powered Volvo next year?
Have to admire Rogers for his persistence, but Volvo HQ seemed pretty adamant that it wouldn't be sanctioning the S60 to compete, and the cars would be off to Sweden. Can't see them backflipping.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 09:59 (Ref:3655566)   #142
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Too early to start making lists?

Off contract that I'm aware of are JC, GT, JB, NP, MC, and presumably the usual year-to-year tailenders in DW, AH, TB, and AR.

Roughly half the field will be engaged in musical chairs for next season. RECs could shuffle as well.

Pye does have a few options, which may be fully-funded. HRT, BJR, Nismo and probably GRM, may not require jingling the personal dowry to get the deal over the line.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3655584)   #143
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I rate Pye highly as a driver but as part of the next generation coming through I'm over the talk that he is hard done by...he had brilliant gear in the DVS under the 888 banner and didn't do as well as Chaz or Scotty Mac, didn't win the championship like Waters...and for mine hasn't self funded like Dale Wood.
It's done his career wonders to have 2 years at DJRTP, but does this mean he should always have a drive? Only if someone chooses to pay or he can muster support.
No one deserves a drive, you either earn it or pay for it...that's the game.
I'd like to see him at BJR personally, not that I'm a Holden fan but think that team suits his character. GRM likely to go with Golding as a cheapie...that's Gary's form.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 12:04 (Ref:3655585)   #144
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Pye does have a few options, which may be fully-funded. HRT, BJR, Nismo and probably GRM, may not require jingling the personal dowry to get the deal over the line.
Personally I am not sure that any of the "available" drives at BJR, Nismo or GRM could be described as fully funded, I'm gonna say Dale Wood & Tim Blanchard are pay drivers, and I suspect that GRM/Volvo has never really had a properly valued commercial sponsorship, so without the Volvo money, Garry is in for some strife.

If we do look at the fully-funded seats, could Pye's availability be enough for either Jason Bright or Todd Kelly to retire to make way? Or could Pye's quality be enough to get a sponsor over the line for a team such as BJR, Nismo, Erebus or GRM? As far as Nismo goes, we really don't know the true value of the sponsorships there, but I'd presume Nismo is tipping in more than they'd really like to for Caruso's chariot.

It seems to me Pye isn't in the frame at GRM, so Garry himself isn't sounding worried about how the bills are going to be paid next year.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3655594)   #145
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pye's in a tough spot, no doubt.

Doesn't have the stats nor the funds to generate much interest from other teams.

Of the DJRTP thing, he was assisted into the seat in '14, and just happened to be in the right place at the right time, with both the enduro deal, and then subsequently replacing Ambrose. The team had shown enough faith in him to give him another season to prove himself, but so far it hasn't really been the stand-out year both parties would've hoped for. A pole and a third sounds nice, but outside the top 15 in the points doesn't. If he doesn't step up his game from here on in, he'll be scraping around for an enduro seat next year.
Old 28 Jun 2016, 22:59 (Ref:3655683)   #146
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What if this is a driver swap in return for providing some engineering support for replacement cars/engines
Old 29 Jun 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3655691)   #147
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
I rate Pye highly as a driver but as part of the next generation coming through I'm over the talk that he is hard done by...he had brilliant gear in the DVS under the 888 banner and didn't do as well as Chaz or Scotty Mac, didn't win the championship like Waters...
Pye only did 1 year in DVS. How many seasons did Chaz, Scotty Mac and Waters do??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa
The team had shown enough faith in him to give him another season to prove himself, but so far it hasn't really been the stand-out year both parties would've hoped for. A pole and a third sounds nice, but outside the top 15 in the points doesn't.
Coulthard isn't really doing much better though
Old 29 Jun 2016, 01:05 (Ref:3655698)   #148
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Pye only did 1 year in DVS. How many seasons did Chaz, Scotty Mac and Waters do??

Coulthard isn't really doing much better though
Yeah it's pretty clear Coulthard took a step down in joining Penske. He's gone from winning the odd race and poles, what 8 podiums in 2015, 7 in 2014, 12 in 2013. Probably should have won more races in that time but didn't always have the luck.

Now, barely top 10 contender in the Penske and sits 14th in points with only 6 top 10s.

While watching Slade dominate at Winton and get his first 2 wins, and nearly win again at Hidden Valley, I found myself thinking that's your old car Fabian, and you would have been winning those races instead.

Fabians a great driver, so is Scott, but I don't see Scott regularly winning and only 40 points off the lead if he were in that Penske this year instead of the Volvo. But maybe they see a lot of potential to come in the next couple of years if Rogers sinking money into it.

The best seats he might have gone for were replacing Lowndes or Mostert, no idea if their contracts are up anytime soon though. Maybe Prodrive are starting to tire of Mostert dropping back and killing his tyres all the time, and Waters hasn't exactly cracked qualifying yet.
Old 29 Jun 2016, 04:12 (Ref:3655714)   #149
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crazy to say it, but if brighty packs it in and runs his rec out of BJR, surely that must be one of the hot seats?
Old 29 Jun 2016, 09:13 (Ref:3655737)   #150
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Crazy to say it, but if brighty packs it in and runs his rec out of BJR, surely that must be one of the hot seats?
A "hot seat" in that you might win a race or two every couple of years, but have little chance at Bathurst glory let alone championships.

This is BJR we're talking about....isn't it?