Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:03 (Ref:651624)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The better half

No, not talking about wives and partners.

We have 20 drivers on the grid. All are more talented that we can ever dream of being. That said, the depth of talent on the grid varies greatly.

So who are the better half? Who are the top 10 drivers in Formula 1 today?

In my top 10: I could'nt rank some of them so I put them into groups

Out in front on his own is one Michael Schumacher. Every year I await his decline, and then he does something to remind me why he is a 5 times WDC (this year it was Austria)

In the second group we have the future champions. Raikkonen, Alonso & Webber. I was unsure about Mark but he continues to shine race after race, even if the camera's are busy watching the red, white and silver cars go around. The other 2, while making some mistakes, have shown speed and skill beyond the years and experience.

Closely followed, Ralf, Montoya and Fisichella. These guys have been a little inconsistant lately, but could move up this list at any given moment.

Struggling into my top 10 are Barrichello & Coultard and I could'nt decide on a 10th. Villeneuve was in the list but I had trouble justifying that after watching his last race.

Over to you
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:27 (Ref:651632)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Top 10.... (in groups, but no particular order within groups)

A. Michael, Juan Pablo, Kimi, Fernando

B. Fisi, Jenson, Mark, Rafe, Justin, Jacques
Old 4 Jul 2003, 04:37 (Ref:651635)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A)Michael, JPM, Kimi, Definately WDCs
B)Fisi,Weber,Alonso,Rubens-he is masterful and has bested the german on a few occaisions, had he not accepted the no.2 spot he might have been a number one at another team soon (BMW, MERCEDES maybe, Renault....)
jacques he was the golden boy once now what is he? always give a benefit of a doubt to a WDC
David-always at the wrong place and wrong time, ten years adn nil.. but when he is on it he is on it, too bad he wasn't on it enough.
Ralf is similarly grouped, good but is he a real natural or growing up in a KART facility gave him the know how but not the heart.
DaMatta is a big ?-will he do better when Toyota gets better or is it a lost cause-JPM shined after Cart, damatta hasn't
Old 4 Jul 2003, 05:25 (Ref:651651)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The king: Michael Schumacher. Defending WDC, but he's peaked and is now in decline. That doesn't, however, mean that he can't win the next 3 championships.

The young guns: Juan Pablo Montoya, Kimi Raikonnen, Fernando Alonso, Mark Webber, Justin Wilson. These are the guys who, if they get the rides, will be battling for the championship for the next decade.

Waiting in the wings: Giancarlo Fisichella. Brilliant on occaisons, has never, ever had a car that was a consisten threat.

Has-beens: Jacques Villeneuve, Rubens Barrichello. Former WDC, Jacques has zero motivation, and like his father, is useless as a development driver. But your skills don't decline _that_ dramatically. Rubens beat Michael fair and square several times last year, but his poor form this year has really hurt his case.

Never-was: Ralf Schumacher. Ralf has the speed, but none of the passion. A WDC has to really want it, and be willing to take risks to get it. Well, unless he's got an absolutely dominant car, like his big brother did last year.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 06:00 (Ref:651667)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The top of the pyramid is obviously Michael Schumacher. Although I, like many others, think that he has hit his peak, anyone who wants to challenge him at the top has to beat him head-to-head to prove himself.

His challengers right now are Kimi Raikkonen, Juan-Pablo Montoya, and Fernando Alonso. If I was to pick one of these three to be the primary challenger, it has to be Kimi. Not only is he in the thick of the title chase this year in an old car, he was beating Michael fair and square at Magny-Cours last year until he hit McNish's oil. Juan has been disappointing in that he hasn't made that showdown with Michael as of yet when most people were predicting him to be dominating the World Championship by now, but his day will come very soon, as it will for Fernando, whom Flavio Briatore has proclaimed "The Next Schumacher."

Next are the maybe challengers. Firmly in this group are Mark Webber and Jenson Button, though cases can be made for Justin Wilson, Cristiano da Matta, and Nick Heidfeld as well. These drivers are stuck in midfield, and none likely have the talent as the top three, but if they find their way into a top car, they could scrap it out.

The next group are the wouldas, couldas, and shouldas. These are the ones that everyone said way back when were to challenge Schumacher, but none of them ever quite cut it. Rubens Barrichello, David Coulthard, Jarno Trulli, Heinz-Herald Frentzen, Giancarlo Fisichella, Olivier Panis, and Jos Verstappen all lay in this list. All of them woulda, coulda, shoulda beaten Schumacher (and a few of them did on occasion), but could never pull it off in the long run.

There has to be a few never-will-bes, and this grid has them in Ralph Firman and Antonio Pizzonia. Firman came in too late, and Pizzonia too early, but neither of them will ever be in any of the groups above, I'm afraid.

Ralf Schumacher is in a class of his own. He seems all of the aforementioned groups bundled into one man, whose bloodline will never allow him to be fairly judged. To some, he is a talented racer who is unfortunately overshadowed by his olcer brother; to others, he is the hack that has only gotten this far because of his last name.

Then there is one. He is the enigma, the pariah, the only one out of the current pack that can honestly say that he beat Schumacher, yet his current status tells an almost tragic fall from grace. O, how I feel for Jacques Villeneuve. I love him and I hate him. I feel sorry for him, but I feel he deserves his fate. I believe he's still got it, yet I think he's washed up. He is the tragic hero.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 06:48 (Ref:651692)   #6
MrSal
Racer

MrSal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A-Schumacher M, Alonso, JPM, Kimi
B-DC, Ralf, Webber
C-Fisi,Jenson,Wilson
Old 4 Jul 2003, 07:45 (Ref:651741)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Better Half

TGF at the top.

Kimi, Alonso and JPM are rising to the top.

Webber, Heidfeld and Wilson will also be joining in the fun.

Fisichella is superb but NEVER had the opportunity in a top team. Why? Who knows...

Jacques obviously has bucketloads of talent but he's bored now.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 09:08 (Ref:651788)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
... Rafe ...
"Rafe"??? :confused: Ralf? Ralph?
Old 4 Jul 2003, 14:36 (Ref:652380)   #9
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
group 1, champions or soon to be champions, TGF, Kimmi and Alonso.

Group 2, in with a chance if they get the right car, Montoya, Webber and Ralf

Group 3, development, Heidfeld, Fisi and Wilson.

Group 4, the long shot, Ralph Firman

Group X, please retire, you're going nowhere FAST, DC, JV
Old 4 Jul 2003, 14:53 (Ref:652392)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Michael is still in a class of his own overall, although he's not always the fastest guy out there.

The main challengers right now are Alonso, Raikkonen, Montoya and Ralf (although Ralf doesn't 'challenge' his pborhter per se)

Up and coming youngsters would be Webber, Wilson and Da Matta, any of whom could be championship material ebfore long

Consistant challengers, but perhaps not the best out there, would be Fisichella, Button and Barrichello to round out the top 10.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:03 (Ref:652403)   #11
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Never-was: Ralf Schumacher. Ralf has the speed, but none of the passion. A WDC has to really want it, and be willing to take risks to get it. Well, unless he's got an absolutely dominant car, like his big brother did last year.
Attached Images

Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:08 (Ref:652408)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truth hurts, does it? What, you're gonna hit me now?
Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:17 (Ref:652416)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry Ralf, I can't find that particular smiley on the 10tenths reply page... :confused:

Lee, I might be wrong, but I think Ralf is reluctantly agreeing with you, and in fact is saying that RS is a bit of a ******...
Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:22 (Ref:652421)   #14
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Schuey, Alonso
B Webber, Raikkonen, Fisichella, Montoya, Villeneuve
C Button, Ralf, Barrichello
Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:53 (Ref:652437)   #15
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A. Kimi, Montoya, Villeneuve, Alonso, Fisi.

B. Webber, Shumi (he's had his best days)

C. Button, Heidfeld, and Ralf (only cause he's in a good car)
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 15:57 (Ref:652440)   #16
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come to think of my selections, I think the greatest driver line up ever would be;

Ferrari : M.Shumacher, G.Fisichella

McLaren: K.Raikkonen, F.Alonso

Williams: J.P.Monoya, J.Villeneuve

Nobody would say F1 is boring with a line up like that!!!

Last edited by TeddyG; 4 Jul 2003 at 15:59.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 4 Jul 2003, 17:34 (Ref:652525)   #17
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gp A - Michael S, Alonso, Raikkonen, Montoya
Gp B - Webber, Fisichella, Villeneuve, Button, Ralf S, Heidfeld

Old 4 Jul 2003, 17:36 (Ref:652529)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I can't split them in two, sorry.

A. Michael
<small gap>
B.Fisichella
<small gap>
C. Webber, Raikonnen, Montoya, Ralf, Alonso
<Large gap>
D. Wilson, Barichello, Coulthard

I still believe that in equal machinery, the only one who could consistently give Schumacher a run for his money would be Fisi.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 4 Jul 2003 at 17:36.
Old 5 Jul 2003, 01:23 (Ref:652994)   #19
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The better half

Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
All are more talented that we can ever dream of being
i have rarely thought that and now firmly believe it to be pure rubbish
Old 5 Jul 2003, 02:29 (Ref:653010)   #20
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Re: Re: The better half

Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
:confused:

Do you really think your talented enough to race a Formula 1 car competitively?
Old 5 Jul 2003, 02:50 (Ref:653014)   #21
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Group 1 . M.Shumacher

Group 2 . Kimmi , Webber , Alonso , Ralf , jpm

Group 3 . Button ,Fissi , Villeneuve

Group 4 . DC,Rubens,Wilson

Group 5 . rest
Old 5 Jul 2003, 07:31 (Ref:653063)   #22
Ralf
Racer

Quote:
The truth hurts, does it? What, you're gonna hit me now?
No Lee, I'm saying you've got your hand on it as the smiley says
Old 5 Jul 2003, 09:45 (Ref:653144)   #23
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Re: The better half

Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
I hope you're joking.

Do you race?

We all like to think we're talented drivers, seeing as motorsport is our passion, but I've been out on track with enough instructors and small time pros to know very well that I'm not even on the same planet as them, let alone anybody I've heard of.

I still believe that F1 is the pinnacle of single seater circuit racing in terms of driver skill and talent, even with all the friendly gizmos they have these days.
Old 5 Jul 2003, 15:21 (Ref:653384)   #24
Ralf
Racer

Quote:
Never-was: Ralf Schumacher.
The "never was" keeps racking up the wins & poles
Old 5 Jul 2003, 21:56 (Ref:653597)   #25
nicker less
Racer

Seychelles
nicker less should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A - MS, JPM, Kimi, Alonso
B - RS, Panis, Heidfeld, Trulli
C - The rest