Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 14 Dec 2003, 12:51 (Ref:811574)   #1
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FF1600 Tyres

Not much FF1600 chat over the last couple of weeks so I am going to post some discusion.

Would it be a good idea to limit the amount of sets of tyres used? I have spoken to a number of the guys at the sharp end of NWFF and they have been using a set per meeting and both the people I spoke to said they had done that because the other was doing it!!! If I was fighting for the title then maybe I would have done the same but if we limit a set of tyres to 2 or maybe 3 rounds then would that not save people a lot of money? If that was the case then they would still be on the same amount of rubber each and the driving would still do the talking but with between £350 and £700 more in the pocket?

This would be hard if you went to race at Combe for example as it would only be a one off race but you would not be going for the championship so you would not need points so you could do what you wanted.

Also I think I remember back to the good old days when NWFF raced at the big events at Oulton park such as BTCC etc. Why can't we get to do the same again. We offer full grids and great racing at grass routes level. Same for the Combe boys (and girls if any!). Would the paying public like to see great races such as ours as well as the big boys on a race weekend? NWFF has a lot of history at Oulton and a chance to race in the big weekends once in a while in front of 15 - 20,000 fans would be great.

Old 14 Dec 2003, 13:30 (Ref:811597)   #2
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a new tyre only has a real, as opposed to psychological advantage for a couple of laps in the dry, with more tread its bound to be better in the wet.
I heard somewhere that its not just additional heat cycles that make them harder, but exposure to light over long periods. Maybe this is why 'last years tyres' are useless.
I can always give a good home to nearly new tyres.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 13:43 (Ref:811608)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: FF1600 Tyres

Quote:
Originally posted by Redracer57
and great racing at grass routes level.
Grass routes? You're supposed to keep it on the black bits!
Old 14 Dec 2003, 15:03 (Ref:811638)   #4
big ears
Rookie

big ears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the nwff zetec championship last year the drivers were allowed 2 new tryres per round, ie a new set for each double header. This did keep the costs down. I think they should go even further to try and get more drivers in the championship. It will be good for the sport.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 15:10 (Ref:811643)   #5
Redracer77
Veteran

Zetecs can spend as much as they like!!! The more ££££ it is the more people stay in FF1600. In NWFF 1600 you could have a new set for qualifing and a new set for the race if you really wanted to waste your money. I would like to see all drivers agree to use only 1 set for 2 meetings.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 15:24 (Ref:811649)   #6
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: FF1600 Tyres

Quote:
I have spoken to a number of the guys at the sharp end of NWFF and they have been using a set per meeting and both the people I spoke to said they had done that because the other was doing it!!!
Chris,
1. A number of people makes it sound like more than two [which I agree is a number]
2. Who would police this? Your Regional Representative nee Co-ordinator will be too busy eating cake!
diz
Old 14 Dec 2003, 15:29 (Ref:811653)   #7
Redracer77
Veteran

the top 3 all used new rubber for each round. You could take the serial numbers from the tyres and do a quick check before each qualifying and/or race. Maybe anyone found guilty will have to supply you with loads of cake!!
Old 14 Dec 2003, 15:41 (Ref:811658)   #8
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a bit different in class B then - I used three sets all year, for the first time. Four tyres were changed due to damage.
BTCC seems such a lot of hassle now that I'm not sure I'd want to do it (paddock in Northwich?) but the F3/GT meeting would be great.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 18:51 (Ref:811737)   #9
Century
Rookie

Century should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will not be able to do this on the grounds of safety or legality of the tyres. What are you going to do in the wet? Are you going to force someone to race on tyres which have substantially less tread than is safe? What will you do if the tyres wear down more quickly and are not legal for use in the last race for which they have to be used. Sounds good but almost impossible to enforce bearing in mind the above.
Old 14 Dec 2003, 23:13 (Ref:811836)   #10
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does a new set of FF control tyres cost these days ?
Old 14 Dec 2003, 23:26 (Ref:811842)   #11
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Too bloody much......!

The idea redracer has has some merit but, alas I think would be difficult to police. It would be like trying to curb the amount of testing that goes on. I'm sure you'd agree that in addition to new tyres, the amount of testing that was undertaken by the top 3 in the nwff championship it could also be said was a factor in their success?

Perhaps we could limit testing to "official" tests only ie a set number of days for nwff only? I fear another can of worms?

I agree that the kudos of racing in front of a huge crowd for a headline meeting would be great, but I fear in practice not an experience that would benefit any of us. If I recall correctly, the nwff once ran as an invited event to a BRDC meeting at Oulton a few years back which I think was an F3 meeting (cue brackets from Diz here if I've got my facts confused: it's been a while since I've said that phrase!!). The paddock was so full of transporters and motorhomes and hangers on etc. we were forced to park outside the paddock with the general public!
Old 15 Dec 2003, 00:17 (Ref:811859)   #12
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by swift
If I recall correctly, the nwff once ran as an invited event to a BRDC meeting at Oulton a few years back which I think was an F3 meeting (cue brackets from Diz here if I've got my facts confused: it's been a while since I've said that phrase!!). The paddock was so full of transporters and motorhomes and hangers on etc. we were forced to park outside the paddock with the general public!
Ah! it must be late and Mrs swift has gone to beddy byes, allowing him his late night play on TT. I don't remember the headline event, but we were parked up on the entry road just over the Bailey Bridge and a letter from God was needed to get into the Paddock. My highlight of the weekend was Nicola F. shooting through the parked FF "Paddock" on her moped, not stopping when she got to the entry road and falling off it in avoiding a spectator on a road bike. I helped her to her feet, before I realised who she was She wasn't hurt - fortunately - just her pride.
Old 15 Dec 2003, 13:36 (Ref:812173)   #13
Redracer77
Veteran

It would be nice to get in front of a big crowd for a change. I think the Silverstone FF1600 race earlier in the year was in the F3/GT meeting but was last race at 5.30pm. It is always nice to race in front of a crowd but if we end up being last race with the chance of not racing and placed out on the grass at Druids then maybe we should stick to our nice little meetings like we had this year (as long as they are not all in August Diz...!).
Old 15 Dec 2003, 17:18 (Ref:812321)   #14
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
Quote:
(as long as they are not all in August Diz...!).
I like August !!!!!!!!!
Please don't shout at me, I'm very sensitive to criticism I only Regionally Represent the series. Calendars are put together by HQ, so badger them
Old 15 Dec 2003, 17:23 (Ref:812328)   #15
Redracer77
Veteran

no shouting Diz just having a laugh!! I have got more chance of my 2 year old nephews listening to me than HQ.

Last edited by Redracer77; 15 Dec 2003 at 17:23.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:24 (Ref:813007)   #16
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How about banning 'pro' run teams? That should save some folk a few quid. LOL
Old 16 Dec 2003, 12:27 (Ref:813008)   #17
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Combe championship gets a slot om the F3 and GT race weekend. On the first running they ran on the Saturday so as not to upstage the Slick 50 Zetecs, and I think they have run at the end of the day on Sunday as well although as a non championship round this year.
To get back on topic, limiting tyres is a good idea, especially for the newer cars which tend to use their tyres far more than pre 90 cars. However policing such a move would be a nightmare, and drivers who cherry pick races would be at a distinct advantage imho.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:05 (Ref:813046)   #18
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
It's the nature of the sport that those dedicated enough will spend what it takes. If control tyres lasted longer it would be in all our interests (except Avon).
The arguement against this would be with harder tyres times would be slower...but it would be the same for everyone, and as for the wet they are already c..p so it wouldn't make much difference.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:10 (Ref:813047)   #19
Redracer77
Veteran

true verglas but if you are cherry picking rounds then you are not going to win the championship. But the rule would still apply as they would have to use the one round old set in the second cherry picked race when the other drivers maybe able to run a new set as they are just about to start the 3rd round of the Championship for example so the cherry picker will be on old tyres and the championship racers will be on new. It works both ways!!
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:40 (Ref:813071)   #20
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about getting Avon to lower the tyre prices - development is halted on them, and I refuse to accept it costs almost £400 to make a full set. The mark up must be pretty big. That way you could if you wanted to change the tyres more often at a much less cost and those who are nuts enough to buy a set a race won't get an advantage as the lesser people who change them say once every 4 will be able to change them once every 4 instead of 1 or 2 sets per season. I know its the opposite of what your saying but could make a good move less money = the lesser funded people to run on the same set for less money or change them more on a more regular basis like the better funded teams for the same ammount of money as they have paid in the past.

While Avon have the monopoloy on the tyres (I think Avon are good and there should only be 1 controled tyre) they can charge what they want
Old 16 Dec 2003, 13:41 (Ref:813072)   #21
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
simple all use ACB9's like FF1600 cars were designed to use
they work as well virtualy bald as brand new with bonus of being able stay on the track in the wet.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:00 (Ref:813097)   #22
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought we where on ACB 9's although I could be wrong I never paid attention to the numbers I just took them to the Avon truck and said "more please"
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:04 (Ref:813099)   #23
Redracer77
Veteran

I think we run on ACB10's
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:05 (Ref:813104)   #24
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Historics (i) run on ACB9's, pretty much most things else in the Uk run on ACB10's the ones which were originally designed for the Zetecs.
Old 16 Dec 2003, 14:07 (Ref:813105)   #25
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
Hi Jason...wasn't your car designed for Firestone Torinos?