Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1041717)   #1
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Warwick

21st July 1991

RIP Paul
Attached Images

Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:20 (Ref:1041725)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP
Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1041730)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Paul

Nice pic Sheila
Old 20 Jul 2004, 22:31 (Ref:1041738)   #4
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
RIP Paul

Nice pic Sheila
Thanks Jason, it was taken at Oulton Park on July 21st 1991. The wisp of hair in the picture belongs to me, which makes it all the more poignant.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1041925)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll add my RIPs as well, if I may. I remember watching Paul on many occasions, believing him to be a likely star of the future. His death was a huge loss to his family and the sport. RIP.
Old 21 Jul 2004, 19:57 (Ref:1042447)   #6
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I'll add my RIPs as well, if I may. I remember watching Paul on many occasions, believing him to be a likely star of the future. His death was a huge loss to his family and the sport. RIP.
I agree with you there Aysedasi. I remain convinced that Paul would have made to F1.
Old 24 Jul 2004, 15:17 (Ref:1045802)   #7
Andrew Hornsey
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Andrew Hornsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thirteen years ago! It only seems like yesterday. And how bizzare, I was only thinking of him a few days ago. RIP Paul.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1048021)   #8
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul really did seem to have the talent to go all the way to formula 1. I always think of him when I cross the bridge into Oulton. RIP
Old 26 Jul 2004, 22:06 (Ref:1048260)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Gosh, I hadn't realised it was so long ago! I remember watching Paul at Brands in F2 which was paid for by Derek. Everyone remarked on his smooth driving style and I believe Derek always thought Paul was the better driver. Jenson Button is very reminiscent of Pauls style which just goes to show how far he could have gone.

To Derek and his family go my heartfelt wishes. A huge loss to motorsport.

RIP Paul Warwick.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1641577)   #10
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought I'd add my memories of Paul Warwick. I recall his days in FF & F3 but it wasn't till he entered Brit F3000 in 1991 that I became a fan. He signed with Madgwick Racing, based in Brackley, where I then lived and as they were the local team (pre BAR / Honda obviously) they were always well supported in town. I and my family travelled up to Oulton Park that weekend to see the race and although it's a scary 15 years ago now I still remember it like it was yesterday. I watched the race from the inside of the run down to Cascades. It was a typically dominant performance from Paul and I took several shots of him as he built a comanding lead. Then the red flags came out and the cars came in. I wasn't close to a loudspeaker so couldn't hear what had happened. There had obviously been a fire as I could see black smoke coming from the direction of Knickerbrook. I had no binoculars but through my cameras telephoto lense I was able to make out the parked car of Richard Dean, plus the wreck of another car that I couldn't identify. I knew it must be bad when the marshalls began holding up blankets to shield the view of what we soon found out was Paul Warwick. I recall the police being on the scene too. The F3000 race was called, with Paul declared as the winner as he'd been leading when he crashed, and I think the support races continued - but we left the track. We'd seen enough and it was obviously bad. The news that Paul had died came through on the radio as we drove back to Brackley. I'd attended countless races with my dad since the mid seventies and had never witnessed a fatality - I haven't since either thankfully. It was a huge shock - Paul was a mega talent who would have shone in F1. I certainly rated him above his Brit contemporaries like Hill, Irvine and Blundell - and look what they achieved.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1641630)   #11
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was at Cadwell Park that day and couldn't quite believe it when someone told me the news.

I'd watched him from his Formula Ford days - a true talent and a great loss.
Old 27 Jun 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1642203)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I still remember the shock of hearing the tragic news. I rated Paul as one of our best talents, and a very sad loss. There was no question that he was headed for F1.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 07:10 (Ref:1661239)   #13
Vicky B
Rookie

Vicky B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fifteen years ago since Paul was taken from us all.

You were a shining star.

Gone but never forgotten.

RIP Paul.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1661782)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
As Vicky said, fifteen years - I still remember that day like it was yesterday.

RIP Paul
Old 24 Jul 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1663461)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in the late 1980s Paul was driving in the EFDA FF2000 series when it visited Mondello Park that September. His transporter was parked next to ours in the paddock and I remember Paul, his dad and his mom sitting on three deck chairs right beside us in the Co. Kildare sunshine. We were chatting away to them, they were all really nice people. It looked like life couldn't get much better.
Afterwards I took a keen interest in Paul's career and despite the problems he had in F3, knew that talent he demonstrated so convincingly in FF1600 would shine through later. It certainly did in the British F2 series and marked him out as a future F1 star.
I was literally stunned when I heard the news he'd been killed in Oulton. Derek's visible outpouring of grief afterwards was a reminder of what a close family the Warwick's were. I cannot even begin to think how devastated his parents must have been. The Autosport tribute [which contained so many messages from Paul's friends] a week or two later spoke volumes about how everyone in motorsport felt at that time.

RIP Paul.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1968152)   #16
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sixteen years... unbelievable. I know I'm a day early but I won't be able to do this tomorrow.
My memories of that day are still clear and strong, despite the passing years.
Still missed, God bless, mate.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1968332)   #17
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had the pleasure of meeting Paul a few times and remember the day vividly when the news filtered through at Brands. Great driver who would have gone on to much greater achievements and I believe would have given Mr Schumacher a challenge when he got to F1. A really pleasent person who had time for everyone.
Old 20 Jul 2007, 19:02 (Ref:1968568)   #18
metswinagain
Rookie

metswinagain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will always remember with great fondness seeing Paul and Derek watching practice at the 1991 Grand Prix. I was marshalling at Luffield In when they both came down and watched an F1 session. Luffield was not a great attraction so they spent all of their time watching the cars through Bridge. Senna came through on a very hot lap and was clearly fighting the handling of his McClaren. Paul looked over to his brother and then took a couple of steps across to him before embracing him in a kind of 'wow, that was scary kind of way.'

Shocking to think that he was dead just days later. RIP.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1971053)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
R.I.P Paul

The fatal meeting was actually the first I ever attended, so it's something I think about quite a lot. All I remember is him coming through Lodge in the lead each lap, and then not coming round at all. A tragic end to a bright career.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 10:38 (Ref:2044409)   #20
Parky001
Rookie

Parky001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was also one of those stood on the wall on the outside of that corner with both Derek, Paul and a reporter. I went to school with Paul and he was to most gentle guy you could have met. We had some great laughs through the years no more than on the trip to Silverstone that day. We stopped in a motorway services for breakfast and Paul being Paul he somehow dropped brown sauce in his lap. So off he trots to the loo removes his trousers washes them off as best he could, then stands there trying to dry them with paper. The ribbing we all gave him with scenarios of meeting Sir Frank Williams and Paul trying to hide the brown stain on the front of his trousers.

The real reason he put his arm around Derek then moved back that day was if you remember there was a gravel trap just in front of the wall. Pauls’ words that day was “I want to keep me good looks lets move”.

He’s sadly missed by anybody who had met Paul through his short life.
Old 5 Dec 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2082135)   #21
Nev Cooper
Rookie

Nev Cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately my memories of Paul were after his fateful accident. I clearly remember watching a tribute to Paul on TV quite a few years ago. (I'm not sure how long it was after his fateful season.)

I often wonder how far his talents would have taken him and was convinced from the tribute that he was a truly exceptional talent. I'm glad that I found this forum to express my thoughts
Old 8 Dec 2007, 19:29 (Ref:2084489)   #22
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev Cooper
Unfortunately my memories of Paul were after his fateful accident. I clearly remember watching a tribute to Paul on TV quite a few years ago. (I'm not sure how long it was after his fateful season.)

I often wonder how far his talents would have taken him and was convinced from the tribute that he was a truly exceptional talent. I'm glad that I found this forum to express my thoughts
The tribute programme made the point of stating that no video footage was captured of the accident, this was incorrect as two video cameras captured it and the tapes confiscated for police/coroners investigation. I had the misfortune of seeing the footage it is not on the net and as far as i'm aware there's no copies.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2130255)   #23
gazzalnt
Rookie

United Kingdom
leeds west yorkshire
gazzalnt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rip

i remember the day well.i was there watching my close mate richard dean.it was horrible and tagic i will never forget it such a good tallent he would have got to f1 no doubt.richard was very upset and considered quitting racing.richard was asked by mansell madgwick racing to drive the rest of the season in memory of paul.he accepted but the powers of super power racing wouldnt let him for reasons i cannot say.its nice to see people remembering ive only just joined ten tenghs so get intouch if yuo want to
Old 29 Jan 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2381921)   #24
Vicky B
Rookie

Vicky B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today would have been Paul's 40th birthday!!!

RIP Paul, gone but never forgotten. x
Old 29 Jan 2009, 17:52 (Ref:2382216)   #25
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Tragic loss and a major talent destined for F1.Would I be right in thinking that Paul not only won the race but also the british F3000 championship with that race even though he crashed.