Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 17 Jul 2002, 21:31 (Ref:336036)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty Damn Mad

Racers at Nashville Speedway gang up to have female driver Deborah Renshaw disqualified. Read both articles!!!! There is no place in racing for this in any series.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/mo...ent_ID=19931883

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/mo...ent_ID=19931883
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 17 Jul 2002, 22:57 (Ref:336116)   #2
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry...try these sites.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/mot...nt_ID=19931883

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/mot...nt_ID=19996827
Old 18 Jul 2002, 05:48 (Ref:336234)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Those stupid guys don't know what they are missing... Milka, we love ya !
Old 18 Jul 2002, 06:21 (Ref:336236)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is disgraceful. All the drivers involved in the plot deserve a severe punishment.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 07:16 (Ref:336249)   #5
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scottie Smothers...
Old 18 Jul 2002, 07:24 (Ref:336253)   #6
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is outrageous. It's such a shame that they actually found a problem. But it sounds as though the rules in that series are just begging to be abused.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 07:25 (Ref:336254)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.compgraphics.com/drivers/markday.html
Telling Mr. Mark Day how you feel about the whole thing is legal but of course unethical.
http://www.deborahrenshaw.com/
Come road racing, Deb, that's where the intelligent people are!
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:16 (Ref:336283)   #8
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are these guys gay or what ?
Old 18 Jul 2002, 08:50 (Ref:336306)   #9
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
''This has aggravated the hell out of me. I've never been so mad,'' country music entertainer Cletus T. Judd said yesterday.
...and I thought I had a comedy name.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 09:02 (Ref:336314)   #10
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Bloody hell, how do these guys hold a wheel with the blisters they must have from their knuckles dragging on the ground as they walk. I very rarely do such things, but I went straight to her website and posted a message of support. One of many I'm sure, but this sort of thing can not be allowed to go on.

It made me think a bit about motor-racing. It worries me that it seems like 95% of the successful racing drivers out there are male and white. Then maybe 4.5% male and Japanese, and .5% or less female and/or from a different ethnic background. Is this because white men are better racers? Of course not. I think we need to ask ourselves some questions about our sport and why there aren't better opportunities out there for anyone with talent to succeed. I fear part of the problem might be us the fans. We are predominately male and white and while I think everyone here supports drivers based on their ability, but there are other attitudes we need to consider. For example does 100,000 people in the tribunes wolf-whistling the Hawaian Tropic girls, or guys walking in to walls whilst leering at the MG girls, (yes I did see it happen!) encourage women to attend races as fans, get interested in the sport, or be taken seriously as a driver?

I don't want to be too downbeat, but I am worried that our sport that could be described as institutionally sexist and racist. Maybe I am on my own on this one, I will be interested to what people's responses are.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 09:33 (Ref:336335)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
Bloody hell, how do these guys hold a wheel with the blisters they must have from...
...exactly. Easy there, boys - you'll go blind!

Last edited by cybersdorf; 18 Jul 2002 at 09:33.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 09:41 (Ref:336343)   #12
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
I don't want to be too downbeat, but I am worried that our sport that could be described as institutionally sexist and racist. Maybe I am on my own on this one, I will be interested to what people's responses are.
I largely agree, but attitudes are changing, and people no longer regard the presence of pretty girls around sporting events as necessarily sexist. I'm not so sure, and I'm not to sure I want any of my four daughters to behave the way the Tropic Girls did this year!

The question of ethnic origin is different, and I have also long been uncomfortable with the current white domination of the sport. But I think this will change over the next few years. Frankly it has to.

The sport can change, I'm thankful that the tobacco industry has been forced out. It will continue to evolve. Sadly, some people feel uncomfortable even with sensible change.

FG
Old 18 Jul 2002, 09:49 (Ref:336345)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
For example does 100,000 people in the tribunes wolf-whistling the Hawaian Tropic girls, or guys walking in to walls whilst leering at the MG girls, (yes I did see it happen!) encourage women to attend races as fans, get interested in the sport, or be taken seriously as a driver?
Are these the fans that count, though. They are idiots, and idiots are everywhere.

The way I see it, you become interested in racing because you like the cars. The people around it don't really matter. I guess women generally have a different attitude towards the car as such; they tend to see it more as a useful appliance than as a plaything (that's the male domain), therefore they generally use it to go from point A to B, and not round in circles. With notable exceptions, of course; and they are getting more which is good to see.

As for colour of skin, the affluent people in this world tend to be white rather than anything else. Cars are expensive. Motorsport is expensive. Africa, for instance, has other things to worry about than racing.

I don't think any kind of "affirmative action" makes sense in something that is based on an individual's talent, such as racing or any other sport. You have it, or you don't - no matter what you look like. As the social attitudes in our society change (albeit slowly), and more people have access to cars and exposure to racing as a sport, I think we will over time see more women, and more people of different colours of skin (I don't like to use the word "race" in any other than the "racing" context) in motorsport. After all, they are all equal with their helmets on.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 10:00 (Ref:336358)   #14
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
After all, they are all equal with their helmets on.
Superb way of putting it.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 11:57 (Ref:336444)   #15
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
This is Deborah's website.

http://www.deborahrenshaw.com/1.cfm

click on the news tab & read the story from July 14th.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 13:21 (Ref:336492)   #16
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Interesting response from Fairgrounds...

http://www.fairgroundsspeedway.net/2...o_the_fans.htm

Maybe they should change their name to "Cheatgrounds" or "Chauvenistgrounds" as long as they continue to let this kind of idiocy continue. Then again, I guess evil clowns are associated with Fairgrounds.....!

The very fact that a driver is actually uncomfortable with driving at their circuit because they are unsure what lengths other drivers might to go to to get rid of them......now that bothers me. It's beyond some kind of petty vendetta and into intimidation of the worst kind.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 13:53 (Ref:336508)   #17
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
Maybe they should change their name to "Cheatgrounds" or "Chauvenistgrounds"...
"Double Cross Park"
Those gentlemen should all be driving for Pontiac, seeing as they are such Grand Prix...
Old 18 Jul 2002, 14:29 (Ref:336542)   #18
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
Quote:
It's beyond some kind of petty vendetta and into intimidation of the worst kind.
Exactly, next time it could be because a driver is a different colour, creed, sexuality etc. It's mean, small-minded and on one level, quite scary. The only way this sort of thing will be stopped is by people not accepting this behaviour where ever it happens; at the racetrack, at work, in public etc. There is no excuse for bigotry, and that is what those guys were, bigots.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 14:54 (Ref:336566)   #19
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Interesting response from Fairgrounds...
I have to say that I think that the response is measured and sensible. Reading between the lines they are disgusted by the male drivers' antics and want to encourage Renshaw back. They have changed their rules to help prevent this sort of thing happening again.

Regs are Regs and should be abided with. This is not dis-similar to what happened to Richard Burns not so long ago. The difference is that in Renshaw's case the inspection was provoked by some narrow-minded idiots. It's these idiots that need to be dealt with, and the rules must not encourage idiots to take advantage of them. The circuit has at least taken a step in the right direction.

FG
Old 18 Jul 2002, 15:45 (Ref:336608)   #20
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I guess, FG. It's just that if it's got to the extent where someone is scared to drive there for fear of "reprisals" of some kind, I would hope that the circuit would take more affimative action - like promising that the next driver to behave like that will be barred. Even if they can't do anything to the existing people, making it clear that such a thing won't be tolerated again would be preferable.

That's just me though.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 16:37 (Ref:336636)   #21
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Rules are Rules but this incident stinks in just the sort of way that the Ferrari F1 incident did - It abuses the rule book, makes the sport look ridiculous and treats the fans as inconsequential - and that's without going into the sexual politics of it all.

What would be a nice response from the powers that be would be to check out all the cars in the division at scrutineering for the same 'offence' next time out.

Bet they wouldn't pull the same stunt again if that happened!!
Old 18 Jul 2002, 17:16 (Ref:336667)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I'm not generally a fan of women driving race cars (for various reasons unrelated to their talent or ability), this entire event is a throwback to the stuff I thought we had finally overcome in the 1970s. Back then and before then all women who wished to succeed in any business at all were routinely treated in this way, believe it or not. (I was told that my grades and scores on the LSAT were "good enough for a man to get into law school, but not for a girl.")

But I think the answer to this kind of behaviour is continued public outcry against it -- as apparently has been happening, culminating in a Connie Chung interview next week -- and the continued affluence of society in general so that people who cannot now afford to race will be able to do so. Remember it wasn't that long ago that ice hockey was 100% white North Americans. Now the vast majority appear to be Scandinavian! And any Scandinavian who played in the 1970s will tell you that they went through just what this young woman is going through.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 17:26 (Ref:336676)   #23
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
As far as I'm concerned it just shouldn't be an issue - If you're quick you're quick, if you're not, you're not.

One thing though, these things have a habit of coming home to roost. Live by the rules, die by the rules - If you abuse the spirit of the thing it will usually come back to haunt you.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 18:52 (Ref:336769)   #24
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
It's just that if it's got to the extent where someone is scared to drive there for fear of "reprisals" of some kind, I would hope that the circuit would take more affimative action
I completely agree here. But these threats may not have been made within the circuit authorities' earshot, or I hope that they would have acted. Such threats are intolerable, but I should think it hard to prove that they were made. But authorities should act quickly to let it be known that such behaviour will not be tolerated. This is quite independent of the gender question!

FG

Last edited by FG1; 18 Jul 2002 at 18:53.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 20:06 (Ref:336844)   #25
FG1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
While I'm not generally a fan of women driving race cars (for various reasons unrelated to their talent or ability),
Reasons being ..?

FG