Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 30 Apr 2003, 19:45 (Ref:585529)   #26
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Did you go to the IMSA race in 75'? That was one of the best races in my memory.
I'd have to say, no, I wasn't there. I was there for the F5000 weekend, though. (What, you say they were the same weekend? ;-))

I really didn't notice IMSA until, as I stated above, the XJR5 came. Well, maybe I noticed the March and the Lola T600 (Interscope colours especially). That would have been 1982, and IMSA had been away from Mosport through 76-79. Frankly, the 935s always left me cold.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Apr 2003, 20:13 (Ref:585567)   #27
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The car that got me hooked was the 1998 Mercedes; I caught that year's GT series on ITV (remember when terrestrial TV showed sportscar races?) and was mesmerised by the beautiful Silver Arrows and by one Herr B. Schneider...

The first sportscar race I went to was a British GT round at Croft in (?) 1999, and I loved seeing the dark blue G-Force Porsche 911 GT1, the EMKA McLaren F1 and the Lister Storm GTL. At Croft! Insanity, but glorious insanity.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 20:37 (Ref:585582)   #28
Sean Crockett
Racer

Wales
South Wales (UK)
Sean Crockett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First visit to Le Mans 1997, knew diddley squat about sportscars, saw the Panoz GTR1 between the Esses & Terte Rouge.......pleasure & pain.....little more to say!!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 22:26 (Ref:585701)   #29
Rhino
Racer

Rhino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Le Mans in 1983, walked up on the banking by the end of the pits and saw a 956 Rothmans Porche fly by on saturday warm up, hooked ever since. Love the Jags the most.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 22:33 (Ref:585714)   #30
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Panoz LMP01

Definitely. Then the Rafanelli Lola B2K
Old 30 Apr 2003, 22:49 (Ref:585721)   #31
Speck
Rookie

Speck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari 333SP for me.

I have never been to an actual sportcar race, but i remember first seeing pics of the 333 in the web, a couple of months after I first logged on the web, and became hooked. This was in 1996. I never got hooked on auto racing in general until about 1998, though. Now I just plan on taking a trip to see my forst sportscar race, though I'm not sure when that'll be.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 23:00 (Ref:585726)   #32
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BPR GT series (now the FIA GTs)is what got me into sportscars. Since the seies started I've attended all the UK rounds and seen it evolve from owner/drivers of Ferraris, Jag XJ220s and the like, through to manufacturer dominated Porsche GT1s and Mercedes CLKs, and back to the independants in their Vipers & Ferraris - and loved every minute of it.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 23:39 (Ref:585764)   #33
tink
Rookie

tink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always watched sportscars and remember watchin porsche, ferrari and jag xj220 at castle coombe but the first real memory has got to be the bentley coming 3rd at le mans in 2001. the atmosphere was incredible and i'll never forget that. lets hope it can be repeated this year!!
Old 1 May 2003, 01:14 (Ref:585804)   #34
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, easy... IMSA GTP, almost from day 1. The competition was kind of week, but the cars were just so, unbelievable, incredibly cool!!!

http://www.fastdetails.com/historics...5CharlStrt.jpg

Especially once Nissan and Electromotive brought out the all-conquering GTP-ZX. The car Nissan SHOULD have taken to LeMans, they'd have a damn win if they'd just had Electromotive make the assault!

http://962.com/other_racing_cars/nis...s/DSC_0009.jpg

I think I _really_ fell in love with the cars in '89, though, when John Andretti, Bob Wolleck and Derek Bell came through the field in the gorgeous Busby 962, against the Toyota, Nissan and Jaguar factory efforts, to take victory in the Daytona 24. That was one for the ages.

I admit American motorsport fans were probably spoiled in this respect.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 1 May 2003 at 01:16.
Old 1 May 2003, 03:26 (Ref:585858)   #35
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Paul - the 75' IMSA race was well before the 935's.. it was 911 RSR's, Camaro, BMW 3.0CSL. Too bad, you missed one hell of a race.

40 lap race, decided by less then 2 seconds, and it had been incredibly close amongst about 8 or 9 cars for many laps.
Old 1 May 2003, 03:44 (Ref:585867)   #36
Rookie

#27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Panoz LMP at Portland International in 2001. That race was their comeback race after the team ditched the newer prototype and Magnussen and Brabham narrowly beat the mighty Audis in the race. The Schnitzer and PTG BMWs were also gorgeous and looked stunning through the chicane before the start-finish straight. That was my first-ever international motor race and when I ran into Ron Fellows in the paddock, he took time to discuss his chances for the race despite being with his family at the time. I'll never forget how friendly almost all of the drivers were, especially the ones from the Corvette program. I've been a Corvette fan since, but I think I'll switch to the 550 Maranello for GTS this year. BTW, the new Corvette livery is beautiful.

Martin Brundle
Monaco 1998
Old 1 May 2003, 06:18 (Ref:585897)   #37
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
For me it was LeMans 1983, when a group of friends said lets go to France for a laugh. Off we went. Somehow that year we managed to get onto the straight (no chicanes) through the woods just near the Mulsanne Kink. The memory of those Porsches passing 4 yards away at 250mph will live with me for ever.
I have been hooked ever since, on sportscars and in particular LeMans.
Old 1 May 2003, 09:59 (Ref:586035)   #38
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
went to Le Mans for the first time last year and I will be back there in 6 weeks time and I can not wait. For me now Le Mans is not just a race it's an addiction.
Down to the last word, my sentiments precisely!

It just struck me - 6 WEEKS!!!
Old 1 May 2003, 10:11 (Ref:586045)   #39
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Due to my Dad (though he denies it), I have an interest in the past and hisoric racing. The Jaguar D-Type was probably the first car to catch my imagination.

As for races I've actually been to, I went to the Silverstone rounds in 1988 and 1991. Both were fantastic wins for Jaguar, the first largely due to the efforts of Mr Brundle, and the seonc due to one of the most massive car advantages (courtesy of the XJR14) ever in Sportcar racing!
Old 1 May 2003, 11:52 (Ref:586129)   #40
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by gi_gav
Down to the last word, my sentiments precisely!

It just struck me - 6 WEEKS!!!

We often warn you : DON'T COME, or you'll be HOOKED FOR LIFE !

Try, well, F1 or something like that... sorry
Old 1 May 2003, 12:13 (Ref:586149)   #41
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
DON'T COME, or you'll be HOOKED FOR LIFE !
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, Fab.....
Old 1 May 2003, 14:15 (Ref:586285)   #42
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BSchneiderfan: I went to the Silverstone finale of the 1999 series and loved the Lister Storm GTL and the Lister GT2. Great weekend of racing.
Old 1 May 2003, 14:40 (Ref:586310)   #43
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my first love is the GT40 and still is,
although of current Le Mans cars i love the Bentley,
Old 1 May 2003, 16:44 (Ref:586421)   #44
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Absolutely nothing wrong with that, Fab.....
You're obviously not my wife, Ayse !
Old 1 May 2003, 19:03 (Ref:586560)   #45
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
or my mother, or my workmates, or my friends, they just don't understand, fools
Old 2 May 2003, 02:13 (Ref:586918)   #46
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The first motorsport photo I took with an SLR... It's an old print, and the manipulation of the photo has not been kind. Honestly, the full-res scan prints up nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
xjr5-mosport-cropped.jpg  

Last edited by paul-collins; 2 May 2003 at 02:15.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 May 2003, 07:19 (Ref:588229)   #47
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT-40
Old 3 May 2003, 08:20 (Ref:588260)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab

Fear not Fab, I know that feeling very well indeed.......