Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Aug 2006, 08:22 (Ref:1670656)   #26
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
IMHO,I don't see this as a first time out win. Audi had considerable experience running the R8 chassis and I'll bet they used as much data from these cars as possible to make the R10 chassis.
Ofcourse it is impressive to do it with a diesel,but then with all the research facilities and designingpower($) of such a big factory,I wasn't surprised.
I think the worst thing was that everyone knew Audi was gonna win.
I remember 1998 when there was absolutely no telling who was gonna win.

As for the uglyness of the car,I agree this is all down to the silly techrules of today...
Brand new chassis built to the new rules ..... thats a first time out win to me anyway .
I honestly thought that Pescarolo would win this year , pity they didnt but that Bouchet thing soured the whole affair for me , what goes around !!!

As for the rules about design , i feel that they could have done a better job but since its the only racing that im interested in , i had better stay quite and suffer it . At least they dont look like DP's ..... yet !!!
Old 2 Aug 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1671252)   #27
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Apathy is what I have towards Le Mans now. This is mainly due to the fact I am not interested in watching one manufacturer win.

I didn't watch Le Mans this year, and I made no attempt to find out about it at any stage.

It's just boring.

I have followed the information about the Audi R10 here, and I saw the pictures of it. I don't know why Audi spent so much money on the car - give me 10 bucks and half an hour and I'll walk around an R8 wacking it with the Ugly stick and there you have it -an R10.

I guess you can argue the car won in its first year - if your a pedant - but really this is just monotony continuing; Audi have been at Le Mans since 1999, and they have won it every year since then. What's remarkable or exciting about that. Try and promote that - put it on a poster - get the fans in.. and tell them the R10 won in its first year and nobody will know or care.

To my knowledge the only car that won Le Mans in its first year was the McLaren.

- {puts spleen back in}
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1671466)   #28
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:09 (Ref:1675652)   #29
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
haha tuchet splatz and amen to that
Old 6 Aug 2006, 17:20 (Ref:1675667)   #30
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
Apathy is what I have towards Le Mans now. This is mainly due to the fact I am not interested in watching one manufacturer win.

I didn't watch Le Mans this year, and I made no attempt to find out about it at any stage.

It's just boring.

I have followed the information about the Audi R10 here, and I saw the pictures of it. I don't know why Audi spent so much money on the car - give me 10 bucks and half an hour and I'll walk around an R8 wacking it with the Ugly stick and there you have it -an R10.

I guess you can argue the car won in its first year - if your a pedant - but really this is just monotony continuing; Audi have been at Le Mans since 1999, and they have won it every year since then. What's remarkable or exciting about that. Try and promote that - put it on a poster - get the fans in.. and tell them the R10 won in its first year and nobody will know or care.

To my knowledge the only car that won Le Mans in its first year was the McLaren.

- {puts spleen back in}
But I bet if someone offered you free tickets to go and watch then you'd take them in a flash...
Old 6 Aug 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1675859)   #31
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow

It's just boring.

- {puts spleen back in}
Le Mans was far from boring this year - It was far from a walkover for the Audis and the class battles elsewhere were very good indeed - GT1 and GT2 almost to the very end of the race.

BTW the Mclaren was far from the only car to win on its LM debut - For starters there was the Porsche 956, Mazda 787, TWR / Joest WSC95, Porsche 911 GT1-98, BMW LMR and for that matter the Audi R8
Old 6 Aug 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1675864)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ferrari 166 MM and Chenard & Walcker too

The suggestion (or point of view) above is that the R8 wasn't new! If that is the case then we have to rule out things like the Jaguar C-Type, 911 GT1 and others for being (however slight) developments of a previous Le Mans racer. It seems a little harsh too do that.
Old 6 Aug 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1676000)   #33
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Ferrari 166 MM and Chenard & Walcker too

The suggestion (or point of view) above is that the R8 wasn't new! If that is the case then we have to rule out things like the Jaguar C-Type, 911 GT1 and others for being (however slight) developments of a previous Le Mans racer. It seems a little harsh too do that.

Not harsh - just wrong!
Old 6 Aug 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1676013)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It depends on your definition of new car. I agree with you, but can see the oother side too.

It obviously can't just be in a name because otherwise the XJR12 in 1990 won first time. Sticking with Jaguar do we count the C-Type as a first time winner, it was a XK120C and was based on the standard XK120 that ran the previous year? I'm not sure I'd count the 911GT1-98 or Mazda, but probably would the R8.

Undoubtedly the McLaren was definitely a winner first time at Le Mans.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 09:05 (Ref:1677415)   #35
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It depends on your definition of new car. I agree with you, but can see the oother side too.

It obviously can't just be in a name because otherwise the XJR12 in 1990 won first time. Sticking with Jaguar do we count the C-Type as a first time winner, it was a XK120C and was based on the standard XK120 that ran the previous year? I'm not sure I'd count the 911GT1-98 or Mazda, but probably would the R8.

Undoubtedly the McLaren was definitely a winner first time at Le Mans.
The 911 GT1-98 obviously had the radically different bodywork, was much more of a "homologation special" like the Merc and Toyota. How different was it under the bonnet from the '96 and '97 cars? I guess it goes down under a more personal viewpoint as to weather or not it's a winner first time out. Personally I don't really think so, but I could probably understand if someone begged to differ.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 14:59 (Ref:1677665)   #36
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Le Mans was far from boring this year - It was far from a walkover for the Audis and the class battles elsewhere were very good indeed - GT1 and GT2 almost to the very end of the race.

BTW the Mclaren was far from the only car to win on its LM debut - For starters there was the Porsche 956, Mazda 787, TWR / Joest WSC95, Porsche 911 GT1-98, BMW LMR and for that matter the Audi R8
Mazda was a 787B. 787 debut was in 1990 - both retired.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1677682)   #37
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Mazda was a 787B. 787 debut was in 1990 - both retired.
My bad - fair enough
Old 8 Aug 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1677864)   #38
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota couldn't win at all. Tell them "it's no big deal."
Old 8 Aug 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1677897)   #39
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
The 911 GT1-98 obviously had the radically different bodywork, was much more of a "homologation special" like the Merc and Toyota. How different was it under the bonnet from the '96 and '97 cars? I guess it goes down under a more personal viewpoint as to weather or not it's a winner first time out. Personally I don't really think so, but I could probably understand if someone begged to differ.
The chassis of the 911-GT1 98 has nothing whatsoever to do with the original 1996/1997 GT1. For once, the original was made of steel and reinforced with carbon fibre, while the GT1-98 was the first Porsche to have an all-carbon fibre chassis.

You can say they only shared the engine and transmission, imho.
Old 9 Aug 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1678196)   #40
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't some of the lae 962s have a carbon tub?
Old 9 Aug 2006, 15:39 (Ref:1678495)   #41
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yep , but they didnt win at Le Mans . Schuppan-Brun-Kremer were carbon chassis amongst others . But no works carbon chassis . The closest to a carbon works chassis was the Kremer 962 of Stuck-Boutsen-Bouchet . Run by Kremer but backed in a big way from Porsche .