Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 May 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3405978)   #101
CaptRustyNail
Racer

CaptRustyNail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was scary looking! Just didnt slow down at all!

Though i'd love to see more of these onboards!
Old 14 May 2014, 07:44 (Ref:3406115)   #102
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
According to RacingCircuits.net, there was a chicane at Church (then called Anchor) between 1959 and 1966. So really it would be restoring the corner to it's former self.
Fascinating; thanks for this.

Jim
Old 18 May 2014, 14:32 (Ref:3407525)   #103
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets face it, Thruxton is many people's favourite UK circuit because of its high speeds and it's unspoilt, challenging nature.
The track should remain as it is, it is only a question of suitable run off that is up in the air.

I would vote for a gravel trap tbh. I don't fear them these days like some people seem to.
Worst case scenario, if a car dug in and rolled (which judging from the angle of cars going in during the BTCC meeting, wouldn't have been likely) it'd be a greater way of dissipating the energy of an accident than what we got, a harsh smack into a tyre barrier.
It's not like there's any spectators to worry about in that area or flying debris issues relevant to them.

In the majority of accidents though, a car would go in front on, get slowed down by the gravel and have a much less energetic hit against the barrier.
It's not really a place where you lose it on your own, since it's corner entry, so most accidents can be predicted there I imagine.

The worst case scenario would be FIA tarmac runoff.
It's blighted too many race tracks these days and I really don't think it covers all the permutations of an accident.
Fine if you're in control of a car but not if you've lost a tyre/wheel/brakes/its wet/you're already unconscious, Massa style.
Old 18 May 2014, 15:22 (Ref:3407532)   #104
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by codename_47 View Post
Lets face it, Thruxton is many people's favourite UK circuit because of its high speeds and it's unspoilt, challenging nature.
That's a bit of a sweeping statement is it not? It's not mine, the place is a dump. Give me lovely Oulton Park any day.
Old 18 May 2014, 15:38 (Ref:3407534)   #105
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
That's a bit of a sweeping statement is it not? It's not mine, the place is a dump. Give me lovely Oulton Park any day.
I was talking more about track configuration than the facilities etc.
I have only seen it on TV but I love it.
Conversely being at the track would annoy me because you can only spectate from the final chicane down to about turn 5 IIRC

Also it's pretty ironic that someone named after Donington Park attacks other tracks for being a dump
Old 19 May 2014, 13:22 (Ref:3407846)   #106
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Worst case scenario, if a car dug in and rolled (which judging from the angle of cars going in during the BTCC meeting, wouldn't have been likely) it'd be a greater way of dissipating the energy of an accident than what we got, a harsh smack into a tyre barrier.
It's not like there's any spectators to worry about in that area or flying debris issues relevant to them.
I don't think anyone wants to see a car roll to dissipate energy. A high speed roll will send the car airborne - potentially very high off the ground - and beyond the bounds of any safety containment... then we're back to square one... cars hitting trees.
Old 21 May 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3408628)   #107
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

The worst case scenario would be FIA tarmac runoff.
It's blighted too many race tracks these days and I really don't think it covers all the permutations of an accident.
Fine if you're in control of a car but not if you've lost a tyre/wheel/brakes/its wet/you're already unconscious, Massa style.
It would not do worse than wet grass. I think a decent patch of Tarmac would give a lot of drivers the chance to rub a lot of speed of, and if the controls of the car still work, avoid an incident altogether by pulling the round thingy in front of them.
Old 22 May 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3408953)   #108
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But any solution needs to work with bike racers in mind, and they hate tarmac runoff with a passion, as it wears through the leathers when sliding across it.
Old 24 May 2014, 21:29 (Ref:3410016)   #109
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
But any solution needs to work with bike racers in mind, and they hate tarmac runoff with a passion, as it wears through the leathers when sliding across it.
Which is strange when considering the new Silverstone layout was actually designed with bikes in mind, yet that includes lots of tarmac run off.
Old 26 May 2014, 23:31 (Ref:3411083)   #110
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
I think the question here is what are we designing the run off for?
Driver safety? Spectator safety? Races continuing without safety car/red flag interruptions? Lack of damage to the engines? Track aesthetics?
Keeping cars from being written off?

It's clear that no one solution can cover all of these bases.

I just have a huge fear that in wet conditions or if a car has a tyre or brake failure, they're going to spirit off to the scene of the tyre barrier at a terrible angle at top speed.
A well maintained gravel trap I think covers more bases.
Yes, if a car goes in sideways it may roll (this isn't a definite if the gravel isn't too deep, in all my years spectating at Donington I have never seen a car roll at the bottom of the craner curves just due to the gravel alone) but at the angle we're talking about at Church, the car is most likely going to go in straight anyway.
If it does roll it will dissipate the energy far better than sliding through the run off and having a high speed sideways impact with the tyre barrier.

And as I've said before, in the days of high safety standards all drivers should be wearing HANS, all cars should have strong roll cages and crumple zones and there are no spectators to worry about in that area either.

For me, Gravel covers more permutations than tarmac, which drivers seem to like because they can use as a track extension and doesn't punish them if they make a small mistake, despite the fact it could lead to an accident with much worse consequences in some other circumstances.