Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 May 2014, 08:42 (Ref:3401741)   #1
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 1 - Hockenheim

First round of the season and no one has opened a thread yet? Where have all those DTM fanboys been, huh?

Anyway, here's the starting grid: http://www.dtm.com/de/Rennen/2014050...fstellung.html

Mercedes is pretty screwed up. Reminds me of Opel's performance in the early 00's and we all know how that ended...
Old 4 May 2014, 11:12 (Ref:3401813)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
But didn't see we this last year too? On some tracks a manufacturer had an off-weekend.
Old 4 May 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3401825)   #3
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
If DTM was, according to some people, the greatest invention since sliced bread, how come Hockenheim isn't sold out? I guess the Germans can't "recognize" a great racing series...
Old 4 May 2014, 15:08 (Ref:3401865)   #4
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good job for Ekstrom and Rocky, good strategy call, but I was hoping Tambay could carry the pole to a victory, since Hockenheim was never Audi's track. I'd say DTM now looks a bit like F1 2005, literally no overtaking on track.
Old 4 May 2014, 16:03 (Ref:3401889)   #5
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
I'd say DTM now looks a bit like F1 2005, literally no overtaking on track.

a far cry from DTM 1991 for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wOjJ5ZM23I
Old 4 May 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3402055)   #6
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you know that todays dtm has nothing to do with the original dtm besides the initials?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
If DTM was, according to some people, the greatest invention since sliced bread, how come Hockenheim isn't sold out? I guess the Germans can't "recognize" a great racing series...
how dare you say that, there were at least 500.000 fans at the track today [/ITR]

Last edited by Metzo; 4 May 2014 at 20:59.
Old 4 May 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3402068)   #7
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
you know that todays dtm has nothing to do with the original dtm besides the initials?
yes today's is just a shamble

but they do have something else in common, same brands, Audi-BMW-Mercedes
Old 5 May 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3402417)   #8
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metzo View Post
how dare you say that, there were at least 500.000 fans at the track today [/ITR]
Is there any realistic numbers on raceday? I know they usually say 70-80k people for raceday, but I think we can all see its not that much, maybe half of it?
Old 5 May 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3402560)   #9
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
i read 75.000 for the entire weekend

some newspaper wrote 144.000 spectators which is pretty unlikely
Old 6 May 2014, 03:07 (Ref:3402671)   #10
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
75k is a good number, comparing with 45k of 6hrs at Spa
Old 6 May 2014, 05:18 (Ref:3402688)   #11
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
There weren't definitely 75.000 people on track at Sunday. But 37.500 sound more realistic. Again, I don't get why the ITR keeps making up numbers, especially after the ADAC scandal (Where, among other things, the ADAC also admitted to making up attendance numbers for their events). 37.500 is still a very good number and slightly below the average attendance of a German Bundesliga match. But that's probably not good enough for the "most popular international touring car series"
Old 6 May 2014, 07:14 (Ref:3402710)   #12
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
Quote:
There weren't definitely 75.000 people on track at Sunday. But 37.500 sound more realistic. Again, I don't get why the ITR keeps making up numbers, especially after the ADAC scandal (Where, among other things, the ADAC also admitted to making up attendance numbers for their events). 37.500 is still a very good number and slightly below the average attendance of a German Bundesliga match. But that's probably not good enough for the "most popular international touring car series"
Comparing with Citroen-Muller-Juggernaut WTCC, this at least is more equally matched, at least between two of three. And slightly more popular:P
Old 6 May 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3402734)   #13
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Comparing with Citroen-Muller-Juggernaut WTCC, this at least is more equally matched, at least between two of three. And slightly more popular:P
I doubt that DTM is slightly more popular than WTCC. Perhaps among casual fans, but even then, that's probably only the case for Germany. And those diehard racing fans? Well, I'm actually surprised that there are people, even here on 10/10ths, that actually like DTM. I thought this place was too knowledgable for that :P

I stand by my opinion: Either you turn DTM back into a series primarily racing in Germany in order to at least salvage their hold among German casual fans, or they outright expend internationally, in order to gain a following among international casual fans. But you can't really run a profitable racing series, by catering only to diehards.
Old 6 May 2014, 11:51 (Ref:3402807)   #14
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like the change to single pit stops, but don't like dropping the shootout in qualifying.

Dunno what I think about this series. I want to like it, and I don't fall asleep watching the races or anything, but they also don't really excite me too much as nearly all of the overtaking seems to come from different tire strategies.

Glad to see Tambay running at the pointy end, but I hope that Mercedes has a better showing in future rounds.
Old 6 May 2014, 11:57 (Ref:3402812)   #15
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, the highlightshow of 5 minutes at the DTM International Youtube channel is suggested me it was a pretty good race. Offcourse it is especially designed to do that, but still, the reclaim of his fist position after losing places at the start of Wittman and the race of Eki to claim 2nd in the end should have been entertaining.
Old 6 May 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3402925)   #16
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And even 45k for Spa is a good number. Couple years ago the F1 race had only 55k spectators.

Most series fraud with the number of spectators.
Old 6 May 2014, 20:50 (Ref:3403057)   #17
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Quote:
There weren't definitely 75.000 people on track at Sunday.
75k for the entire weekend

Quote:
37.500 is still a very good number and slightly below the average attendance of a German Bundesliga match.
somebody at the dtm forum said there couldve been more spectatators if there wasnt a 2. bundesliga match just 10 km away from the motodrom on sunday, the match was sv sandhausen vs. fc ingolstadt wtih 5.450 spectators
Old 7 May 2014, 06:21 (Ref:3403201)   #18
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Hmm, the highlightshow of 5 minutes at the DTM International Youtube channel is suggested me it was a pretty good race. Offcourse it is especially designed to do that, but still, the reclaim of his fist position after losing places at the start of Wittman and the race of Eki to claim 2nd in the end should have been entertaining.

I watched the last half of the race live, and it definitely wasn't boring. Several good fights and a close finish made it a race worth watching.
Old 7 May 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3403213)   #19
AxelF
Racer

AxelF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
I watched the last half of the race live, and it definitely wasn't boring. Several good fights and a close finish made it a race worth watching.
It was entertaining, yes. But only because of different tyre options. The drivers with the option tyre are pulling away, and the others lost time. In second part of race it is the same, but the drivers changed in opposite direction.

That cannot be the real sense of racing, because with wrong tyres you cannot do anything against overtaking.

For me it is still sprint racing - so all drivers should drive flat out, as fast as they can and not doing tactics, when to overtake!

The numbers of spectators are very manipulated - i know so many people that got free tickets from manufacturers or sponsors or even tyre supplier, spare parts suppliers.

It would be more interesting, how many people really bought tickets!!!!
Old 10 May 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3404478)   #20
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
One thing that baffles me really. On lap 31 when Ekstrom passed Mortara, who runs way too wide at the end of Turn 6. Why did team radio ask him to stay outside rather than rejoining the track?
Old 5 Jun 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3415807)   #21
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
The DTM organisation has for the first time in 30 years decided to change the regulations mid-season in order for Mercedes to further develop their struggling C-Coupé model, according to Auto Motor & Sport.
http://www.touringcartimes.com/2014/...s-to-catch-up/
Old 5 Jun 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3415831)   #22
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What's wrong with that car? Has there been any articles/rumors about it? Surely Mercedes hasn't forgot how to make good DTM cars.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3416000)   #23
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
If that waiver brings Mercedes the season champion, I'll be laughing ITR to death. Nothing is more stupid than changing the regulation mid-season to please someone that it incompetent because their funding is cut back thanks to the 1000-strong F1 titan. What if the same situation comes to BMW or Audi next season?
In a word, that's the stupidest thing to do to keep someone in the game.
Old 6 Jun 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3416112)   #24
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
One word: Sandbagging...

In my opinion, it would have been easier to allow everyone to continue development on their cars. The money seems to be there after all...