Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Dec 2015, 11:54 (Ref:3598338)   #1
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What Happens To ...

the le mans cars that become obsolete due to rules changes?

I understand that the big time factory cars will be kept inhouse, but what about the 'privateer' entries? For example the LMP675 entries in the early 00's? Are those cars (and engines) raced in other events after they became obsolete for Le Mans? Or are they simply 'retired'?
Old 17 Dec 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3598341)   #2
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho View Post
the le mans cars that become obsolete due to rules changes?

I understand that the big time factory cars will be kept inhouse, but what about the 'privateer' entries? For example the LMP675 entries in the early 00's? Are those cars (and engines) raced in other events after they became obsolete for Le Mans? Or are they simply 'retired'?
A lot are sold to collectors. Some will be raced in other series, or driven on track days. Many can be found in classified ads. For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lola-Coupe...EAAOSwDk5UFN4s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Perf...sAAOSwAYtWNp7M

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saleen-S7-...YAAOSwxH1UFMiZ
Old 17 Dec 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3598353)   #3
Roninho
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
A lot are sold to collectors. Some will be raced in other series, or driven on track days. Many can be found in classified ads. For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lola-Coupe...EAAOSwDk5UFN4s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Perf...sAAOSwAYtWNp7M

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saleen-S7-...YAAOSwxH1UFMiZ
Wow.. that's a lot of money....

A shame the cars are basically being wasted by not being able to race them in WEC etc.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 13:04 (Ref:3598357)   #4
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho View Post
Wow.. that's a lot of money....

A shame the cars are basically being wasted by not being able to race them in WEC etc.
Half agree, however no one (except for marketing reasons, and if BoP /spec-rules wasn't applied) would ever want to switch cars if you could run things seemingly forever... see Indycar/Lights LMPC, DP, AMR, etc...

Last edited by Deleted; 17 Dec 2015 at 13:11.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3598364)   #5
Roninho
Racer

I see your point. Certainly for LMP1 i agree, you'd want to have new cars & development in that.

Having said that I can see why the non-factory teams in LMP2 have a hard time when you have to write a check for a new car every few years.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 13:30 (Ref:3598365)   #6
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Actually, there are some REALLY ancient LMP2s at Le Mans even right now (and will be until 2018 when they'll be killed off). You know the old Courages + Reynard-Zyteks + Pescarolos that have just been remodded and rebranded as something else.
Old 17 Dec 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3598391)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Actually, there are some REALLY ancient LMP2s at Le Mans even right now (and will be until 2018 when they'll be killed off). You know the old Courages + Reynard-Zyteks + Pescarolos that have just been remodded and rebranded as something else.
Several of which remain highly competitive, notwithstanding their age......
Old 17 Dec 2015, 16:09 (Ref:3598392)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

I'd have bought it, but that 57p just took it out of my price range......
Old 17 Dec 2015, 17:28 (Ref:3598416)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Several of which remain highly competitive, notwithstanding their age......
Surprisingly, yeah, and not even with faked performances and lies either (like in LMGTE). The continuing GREAT pace of the Reynard-Zytek-Gibson is the most shocking of all, they've really stretched that chassis shelf life out nicely. Alright, had the cost capping and proaming and component standardization and development freezing and all that jazz of 2011- LMP2 regulations not happened, I don't think the little British car would be quite to the same level as now, but still it is impressive.

Honestly, the new LMP2 regs, I was initially always expecting the new rules to ban those old Frankensteins out of the way anyway by going coupe only, and I was fine with that prospect... especially since I expected the coupes to not-be-the-spec-trash-they-will-be. However some distant part of me still wanted these old open tops to continue, because here was one of the areas of sport where you had the option to retain -more or less- old things, or get new machinery, and 'figure it out'. I suppose there was eventual phasing out of old cars going on even before the announcement of 2017 rules. Natural selection. I say this all, even if the 2011- rules were quite bit too limiting to my liking (boy, do they now look free in the shadow of years to come! )

Last edited by Deleted; 17 Dec 2015 at 17:39.