Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 May 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2198734)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
BTCC on-board camera quality...

When BHP used to provide the coverage for the BTCC up until the late 90's, the quality of the on-board cameras was always excellent. You used to get a view of the driver at work, sawing at the wheel, and a view (albeit slightly restricted) out of the windscreen of the track ahead.

In today's era we just seem to have the camera trained on the windscreen, not only that, but the camera often is rather "shakey" almost as if its not been secured properly, and the image quality is terrible compared to the images they used to give.

Anyone care to comment why this is?
Old 11 May 2008, 11:27 (Ref:2198798)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I suspect some of the image quality issue will be down to how the race is broadcast. In the 90s BHP's cameras fed an on-board video recorder, the current ones are broadcast live so have to get sent via a microwave link to the director's suite. I'm guessing the radio link can't handle the bandwidth of having so many cameras transmitting at once.

In terms of positioning, you're right it does seem to have got worse. We used to get not just pictures of drivers but externally mounted camera showing a close up of the car behind or the tyre deforming during cornering, or even one looking into the footwell so we could see the driver's feet dancing on the pedals.

I wonder if there is a cost issue - is the radio link needed for live broadcast more expensive to set up/run than an in-car recorder? BHP could set up a camera to do nothing more than look at the pedals and use maybe a minute of footage from it all day. Would the same camera today be too expensive to justify?
Old 11 May 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2199126)   #3
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At least the incar sound quality has improved now since the early Motors TV/ITV live races.
Old 11 May 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2199503)   #4
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the cameras are usually mounted on the roll bar behind the driver so the shakiness is caused by that.

theyre actually turned on about 1-2 minutes before the green flag lap
Old 11 May 2008, 21:33 (Ref:2199539)   #5
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
the cameras are usually mounted on the roll bar behind the driver so the shakiness is caused by that.

theyre actually turned on about 1-2 minutes before the green flag lap
I think you are confusing the live TV onboard camera's with the ones that all cars have for investigating race incidents. They are the ones manually switched on by the teams on the grid to start recording.
Old 11 May 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2199548)   #6
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01
I think you are confusing the live TV onboard camera's with the ones that all cars have for investigating race incidents. They are the ones manually switched on by the teams on the grid to start recording.
nope, i am talking about the ones the teams turn on

btw for 6 of the rounds so far ive seen this done from 3 feet maybe
Old 11 May 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2199551)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, but joe public don't get to see the coverage from those cameras.
Old 11 May 2008, 21:55 (Ref:2199559)   #8
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
oh right really i didnt know i've just seen cameras switched on in the cars before the races. marshals dont either, we dont get to see anything except for the start, the cars going along the start of a straight and the finish.
Old 11 May 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2199578)   #9
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tend to agree, on board stuff is pretty dire and is simply a case of not mounting the camera in the optimum place as BHP did, annoyingly its the loss of driver radio chat that I miss and fail to see why this has not returned as its was an Integrated part of bringing the race to the viewers.

Having said this the coverage IMO is better than WTCC but still needs lots of work, be easier to bring back BHP to sort it out.

Ted Kravitz seems to see BTCC as some sort of joke in the way he comes across,sort of patronising and does not give the series any credit unlike Steve Rider who is excellent.

Bring back Charlie Cox!
Old 11 May 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2199579)   #10
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those are the Fujifilm 'spy in the cab' cameras, something the SEATs have adopted as well as the Clios I think for 2008.

Remember though, most of the good onboard stuff and radio communication were from recorded races, not live ones. Mind you V8 Supercars seem to be able to do the live radio comms just fine and their onboard stuff is fantastic. Probably down to budgets.
Old 11 May 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2199584)   #11
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan Gow (or ITV/whoever produces the show) will need to get in touch with Gigawave - they do the FIA GT onboard cameras, and they do fancy rotating etc - makes for some brilliant onboard shots!
Old 12 May 2008, 17:16 (Ref:2200297)   #12
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzer
Alan Gow (or ITV/whoever produces the show) will need to get in touch with Gigawave - they do the FIA GT onboard cameras, and they do fancy rotating etc - makes for some brilliant onboard shots!
I don't need no stinkin' rotating cameras. I need sensibly mounted cameras that doesn't move - one inboard in the middle of the car facing forwards, one on the roof facing backwards, one in the rear bumper, one in the front bumper and one for each front wheel. And reaction shots from the pits should be banned, save the pit wall celebration at the finish (though that mostly seems to be a problem for the DTM director. Oh, how I tire of seeing Norbert Haug's face lap after lap).
Old 12 May 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2200304)   #13
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
I would like to see less of the WAGs in the pits, that's for sure.
Old 12 May 2008, 19:23 (Ref:2200398)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
I don't need no stinkin' rotating cameras. I need sensibly mounted cameras that doesn't move - one inboard in the middle of the car facing forwards, one on the roof facing backwards, one in the rear bumper, one in the front bumper and one for each front wheel. And reaction shots from the pits should be banned, save the pit wall celebration at the finish (though that mostly seems to be a problem for the DTM director. Oh, how I tire of seeing Norbert Haug's face lap after lap).
6 Cameras per car? That seems a bit excessive. The rotating cameras are good (IMO) for seeing both forwards and to turn and get a view of the driver. Why do you feel that a car needs three cameras all facing forward on the bottom of the car? In BTCC, with a field of 20, that would mean 120 cameras all broadcasting.
Old 12 May 2008, 21:28 (Ref:2200513)   #15
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm
6 Cameras per car? That seems a bit excessive.
Indeed, it would be nice, but for logical reasons that is just a dream. It sure wouldn't help that half a duzen cameras would be destroyed every weekend as well if placed in the bumpers of every car.
Old 12 May 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2200540)   #16
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes
I suspect some of the image quality issue will be down to how the race is broadcast. In the 90s BHP's cameras fed an on-board video recorder, the current ones are broadcast live so have to get sent via a microwave link to the director's suite. I'm guessing the radio link can't handle the bandwidth of having so many cameras transmitting at once.

In terms of positioning, you're right it does seem to have got worse. We used to get not just pictures of drivers but externally mounted camera showing a close up of the car behind or the tyre deforming during cornering, or even one looking into the footwell so we could see the driver's feet dancing on the pedals.

I wonder if there is a cost issue - is the radio link needed for live broadcast more expensive to set up/run than an in-car recorder? BHP could set up a camera to do nothing more than look at the pedals and use maybe a minute of footage from it all day. Would the same camera today be too expensive to justify?
There is a cost issue - having a camera recording to tape costs around £200 per day. Having a camera with a live broadcast link costs around £3000 a day.

The BTCC onboard cameras are done by SIS, who also do them for the World Rally Championship and A1GP.
Old 12 May 2008, 22:21 (Ref:2200546)   #17
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Having said this the coverage IMO is better than WTCC but still needs lots of work, be easier to bring back BHP to sort it out.
BHP's onboards were only good because they spent two days looking at them all, and choosing which bits to use before they ever went on air.

These days ITV don't have that option, as it's all live.
Old 13 May 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2201279)   #18
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
6 Cameras per car? That seems a bit excessive. The rotating cameras are good (IMO) for seeing both forwards and to turn and get a view of the driver. Why do you feel that a car needs three cameras all facing forward on the bottom of the car? In BTCC, with a field of 20, that would mean 120 cameras all broadcasting.
I don't know much about the cost of the cameras, but that was pretty much what the BTCC back in the late 90's had, wasn't it? True however that they weren't the poorest of series back then, though! Two cameras would do fine, although if they took away the pitlane cameras showing useless reaction shots perhaps they'd affoard a few more onboard ones...

And rotating cameras are just irritating....
Old 13 May 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2201397)   #19
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As the highly technical sport of Cricket has managed to include cameras small enough to fit into a stump, surely it would be possible to mount a camera somewhere near the driver's line of sight giving a truer driver's-eye-view?
Old 13 May 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2201423)   #20
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic
BHP's onboards were only good because they spent two days looking at them all, and choosing which bits to use before they ever went on air.

These days ITV don't have that option, as it's all live.
Fair point however as ITV have access to all footage from the onboards there is no excuse in the highlights program to then edit in the decent on board footage and also use this in season reviews. Also I fail to see why drivers radio chat cannot be broadcasted as per the 90's as this added to the spectator involvement.
Old 13 May 2008, 18:42 (Ref:2201426)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Get yourself a copy of one of the mid-90's BTCC In-Car videos, vol 2 I think it was. There's a sequence taken during the Silverstone race from David Leslie's car with a camera mounted on Leslie's helmet. Given the technology at the time it must have been like strapping a handycam to your head.

F1 already does something similar during pit-stops with a camera mounted on the wheel-man's helmet.

However there's still the question of cost.
Old 13 May 2008, 18:49 (Ref:2201435)   #22
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
Fair point however as ITV have access to all footage from the onboards there is no excuse in the highlights program to then edit in the decent on board footage and also use this in season reviews. Also I fail to see why drivers radio chat cannot be broadcasted as per the 90's as this added to the spectator involvement.
Ah yes, who can forget such classic moments as "Bintcliffe's done it again, the cars ****ed" or VX pit to Bennett "just park it, just park it".

There's plenty ITV could do to the highlight package but in reality there's nothing that wasn't in the live coverage. Other than trim for length and add the presenter's opening/closing comments they don't edit in anything.
Old 13 May 2008, 19:39 (Ref:2201485)   #23
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As the highly technical sport of Cricket has managed to include cameras small enough to fit into a stump, surely it would be possible to mount a camera somewhere near the driver's line of sight giving a truer driver's-eye-view?
Like this?

Old 13 May 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2201510)   #24
Icebaby
Veteran

[quote=redshoes]Ah yes, who can forget such classic moments as "Bintcliffe's done it again, the cars ****ed" or VX pit to Bennett "just park it, just park it".

(quote]

Classic lines there redshoes which got me thinking of my favourite:

Reid to Pits in the Mondeo: "Ive got a door open"

Pits to Reid "yep we know just stay out"

Charlie Cox " Reids got a door open..you cant get out now sunshine your busy"

Pits to Mansell:"Nigel we've got a speed lane penalty on the board"

Nige: Negative they can stuff it over I was pulling 68 k's

Pits: Did you hear that..yep speed limits 64

Bring back the radios!
Old 13 May 2008, 23:50 (Ref:2201667)   #25
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ChampCar (or was it IRL?) had cameras within the driver's helmets, so it's definitely possible!