Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2009, 17:32 (Ref:2546126)   #26
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the spare safety car would be driven by the same guy (Bernd Meylaender). If he's unable to do it they would get another driver in. They could get plenty of qualified drivers from on-site - if need be they could even get a Porsche Supercup driver. If the SC were to break down during a deployment I think they would probably have to red flag the race.

David Croft mentioned on an FP commentary that there are three actual Mercs but two taken to each race.

As far as the medical car is concerned, I heard something about it being Alan van der Merwe at the moment.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 17:41 (Ref:2546132)   #27
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I think its time to scrap the Safety Car. I don't believe its a necessary device. If the marshals could do without it in the past, why wouldn't they nowadays?
Old 22 Sep 2009, 18:26 (Ref:2546162)   #28
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Yes, I think its time to scrap the Safety Car. I don't believe its a necessary device. If the marshals could do without it in the past, why wouldn't they nowadays?
F1 drivers managed without HANS devices, cockpit side protection, fireproof clothing and even helmets in the past. That doesn't necessarily mean they should go without them today
Old 22 Sep 2009, 20:22 (Ref:2546248)   #29
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently in terms of laps in the lead of a Grand Prix in 2008 the safety car was 8th !!!
Old 23 Sep 2009, 05:44 (Ref:2546388)   #30
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Apparently in terms of laps in the lead of a Grand Prix in 2008 the safety car was 8th !!!
At the Spa 24 hour the safety cars (3?) have transponders and appear on the timing screens - some year's they have been quite high up!
Old 23 Sep 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2546687)   #31
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le Mans uses multiple safety cars, but I'm surprised about Spa using it as it's 7km, which is long but not silly. I'd imagine that VLN would have to have about six if it used the safety car!
Old 23 Sep 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2546692)   #32
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
F1 drivers managed without HANS devices, cockpit side protection, fireproof clothing and even helmets in the past. That doesn't necessarily mean they should go without them today
All of those measures were introduced to prevent or defend against death or serious injury.

The safety car was introduced primarily for the benefit of TV scheduling.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:03 (Ref:2546716)   #33
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post

Yes of course that's right...that's why we use it at Club meetings, the live TV coverage is vital there

TV schedule is one of the reasons but it's not the only reason for a safety car...you're welcome to come trackside and try recovering something from the edge of a track without under yellows if you'd like
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2546722)   #34
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
All of those measures were introduced to prevent or defend against death or serious injury.

But the first F1 GP where the safety car was used was the 1973 Canadian GP...
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2546731)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Yes of course that's right...that's why we use it at Club meetings, the live TV coverage is vital there

TV schedule is one of the reasons but it's not the only reason for a safety car...you're welcome to come trackside and try recovering something from the edge of a track without under yellows if you'd like
Or just change an off-side puncture on the hard shoulder of a British Motorway. That's pretty scary and they're only doing a maximum of 70 MPH (honest officer!).
Old 23 Sep 2009, 16:25 (Ref:2546735)   #36
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If drivers actually did what they're supposed to do under waved yellows- 'slow down and be prepared to stop, it would help.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:09 (Ref:2546824)   #37
Piglet
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
If drivers actually did what they're supposed to do under waved yellows- 'slow down and be prepared to stop, it would help.
It would, but as has been said several times, that doesn't bunch the cars up and its this bunching of cars that enables trucks and marshals to get out onto the track in relative safety without having to watch over their shoulders constantly.

Plus...if one car has gone off there is always a danger of fluids etc. being down that may force another car into an error as well as the danger of loss of tyre pressure etc. because of the lower speeds.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:34 (Ref:2546844)   #38
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do see why they have a pace car ( i do hate the name safety car ) in f1, tv scheduals , marshal safety ,recovering stranded cars and the like but the fia introduce these things for the pinicle of motor sport and then it has to be addopted for all of it ??? in clubbie curcuit racing we dont go as fast as a f1 car when it's under yellows so i dont see why when a driver bins it in the gravel on lap 1 the coc brings out the safety car to pull the thing out , which takes sometimes forever sometimes and we just trundle on round eating up our alloted time. this happened this year at brands gp and we did 4 racing laps not a lot of good when you spend your hard earned cash to plod around coz someone binned his banger in the kitty litter.

Last edited by bdwoody; 23 Sep 2009 at 18:36. Reason: spelling
Old 23 Sep 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2546851)   #39
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The safety car should remain...
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:03 (Ref:2546860)   #40
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post

Fair enough, fair enough, perhaps I was being a bit glib.

As I said earlier in the thread, I'm not opposed to the use of safety cars. I was just pointing out a slight inconsistency in Jab's comparison with helmets, HANS devices...etc The latter were introduced to F1 purely for safety reasons, whereas TV schedules were a factor in the introduction of the SC.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:19 (Ref:2546880)   #41
Piglet
Veteran

I agree, TV scheduling is clearly part of it and IMO that drives what I see as a reluctance to red flag GP's and there are times where the amount of debris on a track looks like it would warrant a red but that is going to put a 30 minute hole into TV schedules.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2546881)   #42
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
it dont stop them when the footy is on !! why motorsport ?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2546883)   #43
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
You get more debris on race tracks than on football pitches though :P
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:48 (Ref:2546904)   #44
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
but a lot more rolling around playing dead or dying .
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2546905)   #45
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwoody View Post
in clubbie curcuit racing we dont go as fast as a f1 car when it's under yellows so i dont see why when a driver bins it in the gravel on lap 1 the coc brings out the safety car to pull the thing out , which takes sometimes forever sometimes and we just trundle on round eating up our alloted time.
Marshals will try to move a car without the safety car if it can be done safely. However, if a recovery vehicle is required, on circuits where snatching is not permissible on a live circuit it's either use the safety car or stop the race.

Twice recently I've had cars spin under waved yellows; does that indicate to you that drivers are respecting the waved yellow &, more importantly, marshals' safety?

A fact we have to live with nowadays in club racing is that clubs are trying to cram as many races as possible into the day, which means that we're working to a very tight schedule. Red flagging & restarting a race costs time - why should the drivers in the later races have their race length reduced, as often happens, because of the misdemeanours of drivers in earlier races?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 19:49 (Ref:2546906)   #46
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Bit less of a safety risk that
Old 23 Sep 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2546952)   #47
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwoody View Post
i do see why they have a pace car ( i do hate the name safety car ) in f1, tv scheduals , marshal safety ,recovering stranded cars and the like but the fia introduce these things for the pinicle of motor sport and then it has to be addopted for all of it ??? in clubbie curcuit racing we dont go as fast as a f1 car when it's under yellows so i dont see why when a driver bins it in the gravel on lap 1 the coc brings out the safety car to pull the thing out , which takes sometimes forever sometimes and we just trundle on round eating up our alloted time. this happened this year at brands gp and we did 4 racing laps not a lot of good when you spend your hard earned cash to plod around coz someone binned his banger in the kitty litter.
Back in the early 80's at Donington a mate of mine dropped his Mini Se7en into the gravel early into the race. I came round (OK, at that time he was ahead of me) to yellow flags at the corner and found him 'parked'. (OK, I admit it, I did smile a little!). Next lap yellow flags again for his parked car. The third time as I approached the corner, more waved yellows (and I thought, 'I Know, John's parked in the gravel!'), but as I turned into the corner (obviously at reduced speed because of the flags), I saw another car planted in the off-side-rear quarter of my mates car, causing significantly more damage to both cars. Obviously had the Safety Car been used back in those days, this may not have happened, and both cars would not have sustained the additional damage.
Surely it's a known fact that if a car is going to go off at a cartain place due to over-ambitious driving, there's every chance that another one will do exactly the same thing and follow it in?
Old 23 Sep 2009, 21:41 (Ref:2546998)   #48
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
But the first F1 GP where the safety car was used was the 1973 Canadian GP...
And we still don't know who won that race.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2547028)   #49
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
ah but viva the answer is not to go off then we can all play nicely for 15 mins...
Old 24 Sep 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2547054)   #50
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Surely it's a known fact that if a car is going to go off at a cartain place due to over-ambitious driving, there's every chance that another one will do exactly the same thing and follow it in?
Definately! But to be honest, you don't really want a car trackside anywhere, even up against the barriers. Cars can go off anywhere due to mechanical failiure or contact. Many years ago a driver was seriously injured when he hit a stationary car which had been pushed up against the barriers. The result of the inquest into this is that hazard boards are now used to warn drivers of a stationary car off the circuit.