Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2637715)   #1
King Arthur
Racer

Scotland
North of Brighton
King Arthur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross Track Day - Lydden

I was informed of this recently. I wondered if anybody had any feedback. How many attended. Any new cars. Is it a proposition worth considering in the future. Would it work at other tracks.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2638989)   #2
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a great idea. I would have gone but a) I was forbidden due to a family event and b) I thought it was slightly too expensive. I appreciate you get a lot of track time with the open pitlane, but I think it's slightly too much compared to hiring a private test venue (£40 or £50) or just running on an airfield or similar (£10 if anything at all). You can hire Blyton for the day, but it's considerably dearer and there are far less facilities, so it stacks up well against that for me. I did think it was a bit steep paying £20 per passenger, though – if you had five people there from sponsors (not exactly unheard of) it would double your entry fee!

The other slight concern I had was that I could have been out there in my little stock hatch, driving like a granny (which I do), at the same time as the supercars and mods. Not sure how this was addressed, but it could potentially spoil it for me and for them.

In short, if it had been £75 and passengers had been free I would probably have risked the wrath of the family and gone for it. As it is I'll be off to the nearby airfield and drive around that to my heart's content for the price of a couple of pints. Does that feedback help at all?
Old 23 Feb 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2639003)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think on a "normal" trackday it's £10 per passenger and I can understand passengers having to pay as it gives basic insurance cover in case something does go wrong (also helmet hire?). Once a passenger has paid their cash they can also jump into any car - so potentially they can blag loads of rides

Have to admit I didn't hear about this in advance - if I had I'd have thought my driver would have taken the rally car out for a run (and I wouldn't mind a trip round the rallycross circuit either ). I think as a pre-season shakedown/test day it's a good idea, not sure it'd work so well during the season though. It might be worth pushing to the rally community too, there aren't many test venues about for rally cars and even fewer that are mixed surface.

Incidentally Dave - which airfield is that you're using?
Old 1 Mar 2010, 08:40 (Ref:2642489)   #4
StockHatch782
Racer

StockHatch782 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a few people asking me about the airfield I tested on. Unfortunately it belongs to a friend who lets me use it, so it's not open for hire usually, and it's well out in the sticks on the Essex coast anyway, so you'd have to be really keen ot use it! Have tested rally cars at Smeatharpe before (it comes up on Google), if that's any help...