Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2736294)   #51
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Not really, because I meant that they take a knock-out format with more than 1 match (match equating to race) and then there is an eventual 'champion'.
Tennis still have the ATP world ranking which is although not a champpionship, carries the prestige of 'worlds current best' based on results.

Golf also has a similar individual world ranking AFAIK.

I know nothing about the Castrol Rankings, and frankly have no wish to (my understanding is it is a corporate thing moree aimed at giving Castrol exposure than anything else.
Having said that they from the words on here seem to be similar to the ATP and Golg ranking systems.

Of course we could just give the drivers medals.....

Last edited by E.B; 31 Jul 2010 at 11:37.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2736295)   #52
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
They obviously mean something, but in any case you would have to have it exclusive to F1.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2736313)   #53
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Meh, that's just tennis in particular. The other 2 examples I've given, golf and cycling, are more like F1 because there is a continuous leaderboard for both

The point is winning the Monaco GP is akin to winning Wimbledon, the Masters (golf, I mean) or the Tour de France. It's one event in a season of lots of events, with some more important than others, where the goal is just to as well in the events as possible to earn prize money. F1 could be the same if those in charged wanted it to be, and it would be far more interesting (IMO) if it was
No it wouldn't.
All the examples people are using are individual sports that require relatively little in the way of personal equipment. Granted cycling does require more support equipment and staff but not $50-$100 million dollars worth.

A golf player requires a set of clubs and a caddy, a tennis player a coach and a racquet, a cyclist a couple of bikes and a team mate.

Thats nothing compared with what even touring car racing requires, let alone Formula 1.
Motor racing requires huge investment and technical support nowadays.
If you tried to run Formula One without a series championship you would end up with something far more like trans-oceanic sailing than golf or tennis....
Is that what you really want?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2736316)   #54
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cycling is a team sport just the same as F1. There's a serious amount of money in it
Old 31 Jul 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2736351)   #55
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im not sure how much the money/costs would matter. if anything spending that much may require them to enter more events.

one of the things we see with golf is that the players need to develop a rhythm in order to make a run at one of the major tournaments. as a result you will see a very high attendance by the top people to a number of the relatively smaller events leading up to a major. rhythm and practice against your competitors will still be necessary and provide added incentive to turn up.

although it may be more difficult to organize the shared transport costs, the fact that teams might be more on their own in this respect could have the knock on effect of requiring less staff and equipment at each race and ultimately make the sport cheaper.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 14:05 (Ref:2736366)   #56
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many issues with a (world) championship could be resolved by a new scoring point system. Until 1990 Formula 1 used to have a '9-6-4-3-2-1 system' with only the best 11 of 16 results counting. As one particular race wasn't that important for the championship, teams and drivers could take more risks and lose points. It didn't matter whether a driver won all races or 'just' 11 of them and crashed out in other five races: he could only score a maximum of 99 points.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2736419)   #57
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Cycling is a team sport just the same as F1. There's a serious amount of money in it
Are you serious?
That's like comparing the cost of a moped with a sports car.

A moped can be expensive but not nearly as much as a sports car...

And please, stop using the Castrol rankings as an argument.
That's just a load of worthless silliness on a stick.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2736743)   #58
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Are you serious?
That's like comparing the cost of a moped with a sports car.

A moped can be expensive but not nearly as much as a sports car...
Each individual bike doesn't cost as much as an F1 car. However, look how many members are in a cycling team for the Tour de France, and then think that they have spares as well, and they have to pay the riders, and then fork out for the drugs, and so on...

It's nowhere near F1 expenditure, but it's not as simple or as cheap as popping down to your local bike shop and buying a decent mount for the season and going racing as Teretonga was seemingly implying. There's a reason why all the teams are backed by large companies. Like F1, it's those that have the best team around them, those with the best tacticians, the lightest bikes and the best team mates to support, that lead the sport - Contador isn't necessarily the best cyclist in the world in the same way that Jenson Button isn't

And also I don't see what this has to do with whether an F1 without a championship is viable or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
And please, stop using the Castrol rankings as an argument.
That's just a load of worthless silliness on a stick.
I wasn't, was I? I said it was a marketing ploy. I'm no fan. I am suggesting a ranking system but nothing like that - what I'm suggesting is closer to the NASCAR points system
Old 31 Jul 2010, 22:22 (Ref:2736750)   #59
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got an even more controversial idea. Keep the constructors championship. get rid of the driver's championship. How's that for nutty ideas.

Sorry if this idea was already posted.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 08:17 (Ref:2736999)   #60
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
I've got an even more controversial idea. Keep the constructors championship. get rid of the driver's championship. How's that for nutty ideas.
My own idea would be to present the WDC to the driver with the most points (as they do now) and the WCC to the team for which that driver competes. Garage allocation & tv money would then be distributed in the normal way, in the order of the combined points scored by each team's drivers.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2737355)   #61
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
My own idea would be to present the WDC to the driver with the most points (as they do now) and the WCC to the team for which that driver competes. Garage allocation & tv money would then be distributed in the normal way, in the order of the combined points scored by each team's drivers.
No, because then you could have a one-car team win the WCC. Give it to the team whose SECOND driver scores the most points. That shows the best TEAM effort.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 14:22 (Ref:2737417)   #62
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
If there is no series why do you need points....?

On the other hand if you wanted to encourage teams or manufacturers allow them to run a smany cars as they like and they ALL count for team points....