Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 20 May 2016, 13:15 (Ref:3643241)   #26
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
As far as Lawrence goes, I don't know who he bought it from? His was a 3.5 and the guy who used that motor in Ireland was Dermot. So maybe traced back that way.
I suspect part of the problem with trying to work out the history of Lawrences car is the amount of shells it got through! I'm sure at one point he sold a spare shell, promptly rolled the Metro into a ball then bought back the shell he'd just sold to rebuild the car. So which 'car' it is/was is probably pretty hard to nail down for certain
Old 20 May 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3643292)   #27
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Triggers broom........
Old 20 Jun 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3653904)   #28
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, sorry to take such a long time responding to the thread, but the Forum was becoming such a negative place to be due to the posts of certain members. Figured life's too short!

Anyway, I wanted to feed back that whilst speaking with Mark Flaherty at Lydden, he wasn't sure whether or not Lawrence's car was his original one or not. The transmission tunnel is an usual shape, the same as his first 6R$, so there is a distinct possibility it is the same one.

Either way, he thoroughly enjoyed being behind the wheel of a Metro again after 24 years as was evident every time he powered slid around Hairy Hill.

I had my display of rallycross models alongside the Group B machinery and met a number of rallycross heroes over the weekend, including Will Gollop and George Tracey, who confirmed he is looking to get his (ex Dermot Carnegie 6R4 back on the rallycross circuits next year! Yippee!

Mark will be racing the MG in the Retro Rallycross Championship for the rest of the year as well as his Focus in the European Supercars. Lucky chappie!

Cheers, Steve
Old 21 Jun 2016, 11:03 (Ref:3654125)   #29
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton Caught View Post
Anyway, I wanted to feed back that whilst speaking with Mark Flaherty at Lydden, he wasn't sure whether or not Lawrence's car was his original one or not. The transmission tunnel is an usual shape, the same as his first 6R$, so there is a distinct possibility it is the same one.

Either way, he thoroughly enjoyed being behind the wheel of a Metro again after 24 years as was evident every time he powered slid around Hairy Hill.
The amount of shells that Lawrence got through it's pretty unlikely it's the shell that Mark had (at least - not all of it ).

Quote:
I had my display of rallycross models alongside the Group B machinery and met a number of rallycross heroes over the weekend, including Will Gollop and George Tracey, who confirmed he is looking to get his (ex Dermot Carnegie 6R4 back on the rallycross circuits next year! Yippee!
Interesting to see George Tracey has re-surfaced - any idea what's happened to his other cars? It'll be good to have another 6R4 out in any case.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3654146)   #30
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hi, sorry to take such a long time responding to the thread, but the Forum was becoming such a negative place to be due to the posts of certain members. Figured life's too short!
It is off putting at times, but the more positive members of the forum are enough to keep me coming back!

Interesting to hear about George Tracey planning a return, another 6R4 on the grids could make for some good racing in the Retros.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 20:51 (Ref:3654298)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice to feel loved mr Caught. This is a discussion forum not a WRX love in.

In much the same way that you adore my posts, I adore hearing in every Hampton Caught post about pieces of plastic, so touche my friend.

Anyway, moving on. George had a rather large number of cars, a Xsara, a C4, a rally 206, Pat's RS200, a Peugeot 307 that was built by Eklund that must have cost him a fortune, then totally disappeared for whatever reason. So I will believe it when i see it. He ran an ex Haffey Metro a few years ago so that will be his car. Blue and white.

I want them to start actually RACING more in retro. not demonstrating as they still seem to do a lot of the time.

I know they are possibly not allowed to, maybe coz of drivers ages, maybe an insurance thing, But now you have enough serious guys out there hopefully things might step up a little.
Old 21 Jun 2016, 21:26 (Ref:3654306)   #32
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didn't Edlund keep hold of the 307 as he was owed some cash?
Guess George was a victim of the recession think he was into Bank of Ireland for about £40m, so the cars will have gone as well as the plane and helicopter. he'll be back
Old 22 Jun 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3654505)   #33
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont know too mucha bout the situation CS, but I guess you are right, there always seems to be a lot of money floating about in Ireland, they spend a stack of money on rally cars over there and vae done for years now.

I have never seen the 307 again, but I dont know if the other cars were sold on at all. MCKluskey used them all at one time, but again, not sure if he was renting them.
Old 25 Jun 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3655029)   #34
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
It is off putting at times, but the more positive members of the forum are enough to keep me coming back!

Interesting to hear about George Tracey planning a return, another 6R4 on the grids could make for some good racing in the Retros.
Thanks Steve, you're right!

George and I were discussing colour schemes for his 6R4 rallycross return. He was wondering whether to return the car to Dermot's white and red livery or keep the blue and white. I think that, on balance, he's more likely to keep with the blue and white but it will be interesting to see what happens in 2017. More 6R4s, RS200s and other Group B machinery will return, much of it with genuine rallycross history.

George told me he still has his old rallycross cars. I didn't explore that statement further with him at the time but anticipate I'll have opportunity to do so in the future.

Cheers, Steve