Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 14 Jan 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3353857)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Not good is it? Unless there's something decent on at Brands I may end up at a bloody garden centre that weekend
I believe the British Superbikes are on at Brands that weekend: so there is an alternative to the garden centre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
If theya re going with drifting on the bank holiday that is a sad endightment
Well at the moment both the Lydden and BDC sites are showing that event on the Saturday/Sunday, not Sunday/Monday. So at present its looks like an empty track on the bank holiday.

Although I would rather have rallycross to watch I'm tempted to give the drifting a look that weekend. I was surprised at how well last years BDC event at Lydden was run compared to other drift events I've been to.

It's a shame that the drift element of the August rallycross round wasn't so well implemented.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3353880)   #27
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Would have coem and said hello on Saturday but I loked out the window Sunday morning and thought... NAH.
What are you on about - it was lovely first thing (if a bit nippy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I believe the British Superbikes are on at Brands that weekend: so there is an alternative to the garden centre!

It's a shame that the drift element of the August rallycross round wasn't so well implemented.
Bikes aren't my thing really so it looks like it's the garden centre for me

I saw enough drifting at the Rallycross meeting to know I wouldn't want to see a whole day of it. A couple of laps was enough. Hopefully they're not planning on the same again at the August bank holiday meeting?
Old 14 Jan 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3354031)   #28
rs 200
Racer

rs 200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a sad thing lydden is turning into now ,when dorans took it on things were going in the right direction ,but when they bought it its gone down hill ,its as if they bought it to just use it for there own use or just for BIG MAC .
why do they not see the overall uk rallycross picture ,its a shame JP won't revive brands back
Old 15 Jan 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3354235)   #29
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs 200 View Post
its a shame JP won't revive brands back

And Cadwell!
Old 15 Jan 2014, 23:22 (Ref:3354481)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not a chance in hell

Not enough people would go and he likes his roundy roundy stuff too much

You cant blame him, would you try and run a big rallycross meeting over here right now?

I certainly wouldnt, unless I could get Pastrana, Foust, Deegan and all teh ERC guys.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3354616)   #31
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not a chance in hell

Not enough people would go and he likes his roundy roundy stuff too much

You cant blame him, would you try and run a big rallycross meeting over here right now?

I certainly wouldnt, unless I could get Pastrana, Foust, Deegan and all teh ERC guys.
I'd be inclined to agree - but if the Rallycross World Championship takes off in a big way then I expect Mr Palmer would have a look at the feasibility of taking the British round away from Lydden. He wouldn't be interested in the BTRDA side of things but the World championship I could see being worth considering at least. You could promote that quite well and drag a big crowd in - especially if say Andy Jordan could be tempted to make an appearance on track....
Old 16 Jan 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3354658)   #32
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I went to the Lydden stand at Autosport. Despite all the 'British rallycross' banners, the only thing they were showing on their TV screens while I was there was drifting... said it all really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagwaver View Post
Perhaps Rallycross needs to look for another club to promote the British Championship.
My personal opinion is that there needs to be a separation, lydden for all intensive purposes has turned itself around; But i think alot of this is bleeding into the Main Championship.

Quote:
I suspect the hiring costs of Lydden depend on who wants to hire it! I know the Open Championship were priced out a few years ago. It looks like they may be pricing out the BTRDA for similar reasons.

In the end I suppose its just business. It looks like the BTRDA is already getting a lot more support from drivers than the struggling 'official' British championship. The only advantage that the Lydden series has is that it has exclusive access to Lydden. You can see why they want to keep it that way - but this 'monopoly' is not good for British rallycross.

Yes, dropping the traditional Easter Monday date is bizarre - it was the year's highlight for many and must have brought in a fair wedge.
I think the major problem with the British Championship is that it tried to be bigger than it was, but this was the issue with any of the championships in UK/Ireland; Unlike other championships which struggled for funding through the recession (From an Organisers Perspective), the British Championship seemed to be able to keep up the appearance of being a big deal.

The thing i would say about the BTRDA Championship is that there is alot more people getting involved in it, its less about the glitzy PR and more about coming down and having a good days racing. Very approachable crowed and maybe we will be able to do something with them in 2015.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 16 Jan 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3354696)   #33
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Not a chance in hell

Not enough people would go

Rubbish! JP is a businessman above all else, if he can see a profit in it he'll do it. Granted to re instate the track at Brands he'd need a long term deal from IMG, but if as Bert says WRX takes off there would certainly be a business case. If advertised and promoted right he'd get enough in I'm sure.

If a club then want to pay to hire it on a weekend when nothing else is happening at the circuit, its good business sense to allow it to be used. Anybody coming through the gate for a club meeting is an added bonus.

It all comes down to whether he thinks there is a business case, its maybe not quite there yet but the attraction is growing. I think I'm right in saying he has no international meetings there now, unless you include the Euro Nascar Series, so he must be looking at ways to fill the gap.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3354772)   #34
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Rubbish! JP is a businessman above all else, if he can see a profit in it he'll do it. Granted to re instate the track at Brands he'd need a long term deal from IMG, but if as Bert says WRX takes off there would certainly be a business case. If advertised and promoted right he'd get enough in I'm sure.
Sadly I don't think the WRXC is as big a deal as we all like to think. I still have no idea whether it has a meaningful TV deal in the UK. There's not been much coverage in the motorsport press either. I hope this will be the year rallycross makes it back to the big time but the jury's still out.

I'm also not mad about Brands. We all remember some good events from the 1980s but that was a long time ago. There are other circuits in the UK with half-decent facilities that might support a world championship meeting. Donington, anyone?
Old 16 Jan 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3354782)   #35
cydna
Rookie

cydna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Put it back on BBC. Those were the days.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3354794)   #36
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Donington, anyone?
Hmmm, I've often wondered about Donington but I can't work out where you'd put a track that would work and would be visible.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 17:30 (Ref:3354803)   #37
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Hmmm, I've often wondered about Donington but I can't work out where you'd put a track that would work and would be visible.
There might be possibilities in the area where they were going to build the 'inner loop' of the F1 track (opposite Starkeys)?
Old 24 Jan 2014, 14:00 (Ref:3358026)   #38
RJW
Rookie

RJW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know about anyone else, but I worry what the racing will be like this year, especially Supercars because judging by the field sizes last year will there be enough competitors?
Old 24 Jan 2014, 14:21 (Ref:3358038)   #39
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Well who have we possibly got?

P. Doran
L. Doran (probably just the Lydden rounds?)
Godfrey
Harris?
O'Donovan?
Horton?
McCann?
Mundy
Anson
Grant
Ross?
Pusey?

Then last year we had Jansen turn up for a few rounds and the Icelandic dude with the Impreza (can't remember his name ). If everyone is out to play then it doesn't look too bad - but I agree, until we see entrylists it's a bit worrying.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3358136)   #40
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Mad Mark & possible Mark Scott in the 306? How many will be out for all the rounds though?

I also wonder how the numbers will be affected in Super National and Hot Hatch with the BTRDA championship. I can see some doing some of the rounds but budgets may not permit them to all the BTRDA and BRC.
Old 24 Jan 2014, 19:43 (Ref:3358208)   #41
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
the Icelandic dude with the Impreza (can't remember his name ).
Jon B. Hrolfsson!
Old 24 Jan 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3358222)   #42
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might help work out who's racing where...

This is the list of competitors committed to competing in the BTRDA Clubmans Championship this year, alot of competitors!!!!! alot of new cars and drivers;

http://clubmansrallycross.weebly.com...iver-news.html
Old 24 Jan 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3358279)   #43
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Any news on Christopher Evans, I'm sure I remember reading on one of the social media sites, middle of last year, that he hoped to come back to the British Championship this year?
Old 26 Jan 2014, 21:36 (Ref:3360208)   #44
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
sihorton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I'm 100% committed to the 2014 season (inc Holland) and back in my revised Subaru, so count me in.
Old 27 Jan 2014, 10:39 (Ref:3360440)   #45
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Good news Simon What are the revisions? (or is it a bit secret squirrel?)
Old 27 Jan 2014, 11:21 (Ref:3360450)   #46
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
No great secrets really, it's mainly weight loss from the car as it was a long way over the min limit previously and also improved weight distribution. We also have some new chassis and suspension components, slight tweaks to the braking, new cooling package and turbo improvements, better aero and a general overhaul of everything. All in all it's just a bit more focused than previous.

It's more of an evolution than revolution to be fair, but all the changes "should" make for a better overall package in every department. We all know that lots of small changes and improvement add up to a large net gain.

Also we have a revised colour scheme for 2014 and some stuff on the car to celebrate 10yrs of the Hortonracing team competing in British rallycross.
Old 28 Jan 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3361185)   #47
JSRacing
Rookie

England
KENT
JSRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds good Simon

Be nice to see the improvements ..... someone needs to break the current Godfrey/Doran/Grant stronghold on the championship
Old 28 Jan 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3361222)   #48
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
I'll be honest I think in reality the championship for 2014 will be decided between Julian or Pat again, unless Proctor or Andy Scott bring there ERC spec machinery and challenge for a full british campaign.

I think we might see Mark Scott in the 306 this year which will be interesting and I think will certainly shake up the battle for 3rd. I think this is where the really interesting fights will be this year, depending on who we see on the grid. Mad Mark & Manning are capable of solid positions as everyone knows and previous event winners in their own right, and as per last year in exceptional circumstances still capable of winning, that's why we all love the unpredictability of the supercars. Steve Harris has a potential winning car, so it will be interesting to see if he can take what he learned in the focus last year and push toward the front too.

Personally, i'm 100% aiming to close my position to the front of the pack this year and try to secure a top 5 in the championship and I'd love to get my hands on my first supercar podium. Having taken a year out for s/car, I think I've learned a few new tricks during my brief s/mod stint (even after all these years racing) and have a fundamentally better car under me for 2014, so we shall have to see.

This year the championship is also very short with only 6 rounds, so any mistakes will be heavily punished in the grand scheme of the championship, as we have less time to craw back points through poor finishes / DNF's.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 09:10 (Ref:3362456)   #49
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihorton View Post
Steve Harris has a potential winning car, so it will be interesting to see if he can take what he learned in the focus last year and push toward the front too.
Harris is back in the Focus again?

I was told last year that Godfrey would have a new car for 2014, though I've not read anything on the subject. I assume Pat will be back in a DS3 again?

Would be great to see Procter running the British Championship, he definately has the pace (and equipment) to challenge Godfrey and Doran.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 11:09 (Ref:3362503)   #50
sihorton
Racer

England
up north, aka lancashire
I assume Harris is back in the focus unless anyone knows otherwise?