Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Jan 2017, 22:30 (Ref:3701680)   #51
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Done alright testing a Force India?

He's far from rubbish but the series will obv need a handful of decent pedallers (regardless of experience) to give it any chance of surviving another year.

Hey, just a thought but I wonder if any former single seater drivers from the LMP2/3 ranks might fancy doing 2 events on the same weekend?

Oh come on, he's useless! And if he was in GP2 you'd be letting us know how useless he is!
Old 13 Jan 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3702262)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Oh dear!!! 😂
Old 14 Jan 2017, 14:21 (Ref:3702534)   #53
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Done alright testing a Force India?

He's far from rubbish but the series will obv need a handful of decent pedallers (regardless of experience) to give it any chance of surviving another year.

Hey, just a thought but I wonder if any former single seater drivers from the LMP2/3 ranks might fancy doing 2 events on the same weekend?
Celis was in average a whole second slower than Ocon when they were teammates in GP3.

There you go....
Old 16 Jan 2017, 09:19 (Ref:3702883)   #54
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
Celis was in average a whole second slower than Ocon when they were teammates in GP3.

There you go....
Ocon is mega though to be fair!

I'm not a Celis fan I just think history has taught us that drivers develop quicker than others and some go better as they go
Old 16 Jan 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3702991)   #55
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Ocon is mega though to be fair!

I'm not a Celis fan I just think history has taught us that drivers develop quicker than others and some go better as they go
It's funny you say that, yet regularly referred to such drivers as "journeymen" in other contexts.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 12:16 (Ref:3703124)   #56
LavidaLoca
Racer

LavidaLoca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Italiaracing confirms Fittipaldi and Binder at Lotus
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:04 (Ref:3703135)   #57
p-matt
Veteran

Very uninspiring names for two decent seats
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:09 (Ref:3703137)   #58
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
We'll see how decent those seats are, when full entry list gets published. IMO it could be very uninspiring entry list, hope with at least 15 competitors?
Old 17 Jan 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3703144)   #59
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sort of like the re-birth of AutoGP. A few relatively interesting names included, but mostly lack of interest and a grid made up of those not good enough to be on higher-quality "Formula 2" level series.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 17:09 (Ref:3703188)   #60
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
It's funny you say that, yet regularly referred to such drivers as "journeymen" in other contexts.
I might well have done matt but some journeymen are better than others!!

At the end of the day top level motorsport is all about how much money you can throw at a team nowadays as it has gone well beyond the reach of talent that can even muster half a budget. Such drivers are considered to much of a financial risk even if they can deliver the results.

At the end of the day expectations should be less for 3.5 than they are for GP2 and rightly so based on the relative budgets and support each series receives presently.

3.5 is trying to go through a mini reinvention and unfortunately it isn't going to work even running in conjunction with the second most important racing category currently in existence.

GP2 has a great season last year and I was thrilled because one or two drivers aside GP2 had been fairly rubbish for the last few years.

I will be happier once both of these are gone and we get the new F2 show on the road.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 17:55 (Ref:3703211)   #61
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report...-letter-to-gp2

The Formula V8 boss is angry at GP2 and GP3 boss Bruno Michel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime Alguersuari Tortajada
In the last months, many people linked to you and your business were disclosing in some ways to the World Series teams, team managers and drivers that the World Series Formula V8 3.5 will not take place in the 2017 season.

Nobody unconnected to RPM-MKTG and/or Dentsu Aegis Network [the owner of RPM] is entitled to state to third parties whatever comment regarding the present or the future of the World Series Formula V8 3.5.

I would like that the information enclosed in this email will be a legal warning to any person or organisation interested in making comments with a defamatory intention or in circulating false and malign rumours.
Old 17 Jan 2017, 19:33 (Ref:3703232)   #62
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Hmm, if all was rosy would you waste your time writing such a letter??
Old 18 Jan 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3703304)   #63
LavidaLoca
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Hmm, if all was rosy would you waste your time writing such a letter??
this goes either way, if everything was rosy for GP2/GP3 series , would there be any need for Bruno Michel to spit on V8 3.5 and Japanese Super formula like he did in the following report ???

http://www.motorsport.com/super-form...2-boss-861851/
Old 18 Jan 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3703326)   #64
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, it's not rosy in GP2 or GP3 either with the loss of teams, but it seems F3.5 has come off worse so far.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:14 (Ref:3703333)   #65
LavidaLoca
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
No, it's not rosy in GP2 or GP3 either with the loss of teams, but it seems F3.5 has come off worse so far.

so why does Bruno Michel has to spit on V8 3.5 and Super formula then if they are healthier ???? i guess both parties are trying hard to survive somehow
Old 18 Jan 2017, 11:41 (Ref:3703342)   #66
10TENTHS
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavidaLoca View Post
so why does Bruno Michel has to spit on V8 3.5 and Super formula then if they are healthier ???? i guess both parties are trying hard to survive somehow
Human nature to go after your competition, especially when it's a tougher market for these series at the moment. He's not going to criticise the FIA or F1 because that would be biting the hand that feeds him.
Old 18 Jan 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3703346)   #67
LavidaLoca
Racer

Quote:
Human nature to go after your competition, especially when it's a tougher market for these series at the moment. He's not going to criticise the FIA or F1 because that would be biting the hand that feeds him.
Exactly that is why he is very quiet about Fia F3 i guess
Old 19 Jan 2017, 10:50 (Ref:3703548)   #68
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Matevos Isaakyan will drive for AVF.
http://www.motorsport.com/f3.5/news/...mpaign-866772/
Old 19 Jan 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3703552)   #69
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think if one series has 4 confirmed drivers and the other one has 5, neither of them (FR3.5 and GP2) are looking good.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3703598)   #70
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Still lot of time till the start of the seasons. I agree, Alguersuari is probably trying to survive. He sees that after Renault departure GP2 looks stronger and possibly wants to send the message out.

But, let us flip the coin... Does Europe really need X F4 competitions competing for drivers with EuroFormula, BRDC and Renault 2.0, GP2 competing with FV8 and FIA F3 competing with GP3?

USA has practicly three, maybe four competitions worth mentioning, F2000, Pro Mazda and Lights.... one could add SCCA's run F4. Japanese has three series' worth mentioning, we, in Europe? 10+. There will get to a point where they will be jumping on each other, trolling each other to survive.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 21:22 (Ref:3703641)   #71
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Still lot of time till the start of the seasons. I agree, Alguersuari is probably trying to survive. He sees that after Renault departure GP2 looks stronger and possibly wants to send the message out.

But, let us flip the coin... Does Europe really need X F4 competitions competing for drivers with EuroFormula, BRDC and Renault 2.0, GP2 competing with FV8 and FIA F3 competing with GP3?

USA has practicly three, maybe four competitions worth mentioning, F2000, Pro Mazda and Lights.... one could add SCCA's run F4. Japanese has three series' worth mentioning, we, in Europe? 10+. There will get to a point where they will be jumping on each other, trolling each other to survive.
If there was no market for those series, they would have (and some have/are) died out. The fact is that there are just far more aspiring young single seater drivers in Europe right now. If a potential organiser notices that there are many young drivers who want to race but won't be able to access a winning car (or entry at all) in one series, they - provided there's enough interest - can set up a series for those drivers. Too many series would be when they're competing with each other to the point that budgets get too high/entries get too thin - which you can argue is applying right now, certainly to a degree.

That being said, something will give naturally. The single seater ladder would be better without more FIA meddling. Look at how they managed to destroy perfectly healthy series' (national F3) for no good reason, only to now make noises as if they want those series' back.

Without wanting to sound much more like a Hayek-esque economics essay, if GP2 is allowed a "monopoly" (I've failed already...) on the "F2" step on the ladder, surely budgets will only escalate faster in that series, as there's no same-tier series that can compete to keep costs low? i.e. A good driver wants good GP2 seat. The budget required is £2m, he/she has budget of £1.5m. Therefore the driver uses £1.5m to claim top FR3.5 seat instead of mediocre GP2 seat.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 21:53 (Ref:3703646)   #72
10TENTHS
Veteran

Denmark wants an F4 series which I can't see working too well when the German one is right next door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I think if one series has 4 confirmed drivers and the other one has 5, neither of them (FR3.5 and GP2) are looking good.
I'm looking at the whole picture, like the number of drivers who tested and the number of teams signed up. I'd be very surprised if the ratio is still the same in April.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 12:19 (Ref:3704048)   #73
Stardust
Rookie

Stardust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Let's not confuse signed drivers and announced drivers. GP2 teams will have stronger drivers in 2017 than 3.5. At least if Abu Dhabi is anything to go by...

Too bad AF Corse stopped. They had some proper people there last season!
Old 23 Jan 2017, 09:52 (Ref:3704423)   #74
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gerhard Berger did his job so far. Enough! Are needed stronger feeder formulae.
Old 31 Jan 2017, 03:41 (Ref:3707985)   #75
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, that's it: Giuseppe Cipriani re-launched the historic team "Il Barone Rampante" (team name based on the title of an humorous novel by renowned Italian writer Italo Calvino, from the series of Calvino's humorous novels of fictitious nobiliary men), well-known in the first years of the 1990s in Formula 3000. Il Barone Rampante will have two cars in Formula V8 3.5 for 2017, one for Cipriani, the other car for a young promise.

With this, Ivone Pinton, broken his alliance with Cipriani, is thinking to enter by himself with Durango in FV8 3.5 with other two cars.