Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2017, 12:20 (Ref:3703355)   #76
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
It's shocking that FIA does nothing to help small teams to keep in F1.

Not.
Or Bernie
Old 18 Jan 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3703390)   #77
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mixed feelings for me about this to say the least.

all things being equal, i think giving unearned advantages to certain teams within a sports league is detrimental to the notion of competition and in the long run serves to undermine the sport. i would include special payments to the 'historic' teams (particularly Ferrari) as an example of this.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 01:10 (Ref:3703963)   #78
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
A little bit of hope for Manor F1 in 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38697523

And the FIA have given Manor permission to use the 2016 chassis, which also means no crash tests necessary for 2017. A bonus. But with cars expected to be 4-5 seconds a lap quicker, Manor may be a bigger hurdle on track this year than last.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3704004)   #79
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
A little bit of hope for Manor F1 in 2017.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/38697523

And the FIA have given Manor permission to use the 2016 chassis, which also means no crash tests necessary for 2017. A bonus. But with cars expected to be 4-5 seconds a lap quicker, Manor may be a bigger hurdle on track this year than last.
Interesting that there appears to be more than one party in discussion with the team and that Galeal isn't necessarily at the front of the queue.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3704024)   #80
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I am no expert on the 2017 changes, just what would have to be changed to use 2016 chassis?
Old 21 Jan 2017, 11:54 (Ref:3704040)   #81
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
As I am no expert on the 2017 changes, just what would have to be changed to use 2016 chassis?
A quick video explaining changes HERE.

So Manor would have to bolt on a new front and rear wing, new wider tyres and some bits here and there, and they should be good to go.
Old 21 Jan 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3704089)   #82
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
A quick video explaining changes HERE.

So Manor would have to bolt on a new front and rear wing, new wider tyres and some bits here and there, and they should be good to go.
It could be done relatively economically (by F1 standards) even if it wouldn't be optimum. New nose, front wing, barge boards, rear wing, diffuser, suspension and wheels: basically bolt-on bits. Though I imagine the cost of just a teams-worth of new wheels would be enough to keep me in cider and kebabs for the rest of my life.

All that will leave Manor tugging around at the back again, with next-to-no-hope of getting any results pay-out at the end of the year. What sponsor is going to buy-in to that?
Old 21 Jan 2017, 21:14 (Ref:3704121)   #83
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Hopefully some new owner will pay all the invoices that are overdue to all their creditors....again.
All very well saying, sell the team to pay the creditors. The first and normally the only people paid are HMRC, VAT and the so called Liquidation team.
Then the "owners" appear again as a new name or team.
The new buyers of Manor should be made to guarantee the debts it runs up. Else it will all happen again...
Old 22 Jan 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3704210)   #84
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in manors case haven't the owners changed with every new company? it obviously happens elsewhere but in this case...?
Old 22 Jan 2017, 20:09 (Ref:3704281)   #85
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Someone will tell me I'm wrong, but are not Mr Booth and Mr Lowdon still working in F1..with a ton of Manor plus 14 other dissolved racing Companies owing millions in bills not paid from there time there?

Last edited by djinvicta; 22 Jan 2017 at 20:19.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3704284)   #86
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Someone will tell me I'm wrong, but are not Mr Booth and Lowdon still working in F1..with a ton of Manor bills not paid from there time there?
They left the team (or were sort of pushed out, is the way I read it) at the end of 2015, and now run the Manor WEC team.
Old 22 Jan 2017, 20:24 (Ref:3704286)   #87
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Boothy is at Toro Rosso!
Old 22 Jan 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3704288)   #88
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ooh yes, he is indeed, forgot about that!
Old 23 Jan 2017, 00:18 (Ref:3704350)   #89
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They apparently have money to retain the staff short term while they try to find a new owner. Do they have money to pay suppliers who I assume are not allowing Manor to do business via credit. My point being is if any physical work is actually happening with the 2017 car?

Richard
Old 23 Jan 2017, 16:03 (Ref:3704505)   #90
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
cant say i like the idea of running last years car.

i wonder though is it not more beneficial for all concerned to let them sit out until their 2017 car is ready (skip the early fly away races)?

surely that would save them more money (or less wasted by adapting an outdated car) and also make for a better story/better start of the season for FOM/FIA/Liberty (thinking back to the animosity that Minardi/Stoddart kicked up to start the 2005 season).

if a special dispensation is to be granted, from a competition standpoint, i would prefer to see them sit rather than see them holding up the rear with a slower 2016 car.
Old 23 Jan 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3704525)   #91
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And when I mention the 2017 car above... I actually mean the 2016 car converted to 2017 spec.

Assuming they survive, then the question is how well funded will they be. Do they run all of 2017 with a modified 2016 car, or do they introduce a proper 2017 spec car midway through the year?

Losing the 10th spot ($) in the championship to Sauber really put them in a bad position.

Richard
Old 27 Jan 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3705545)   #92
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38772098

Gone. So that's all 4 new teams from 2010 gone within 7 years.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 13:42 (Ref:3705559)   #93
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Sad day. They had a good season in 2016 and now they're gone and it seems such a waste and two less opportunities on the grid have gone. Just a shame Liberty couldn't come sooner
Old 27 Jan 2017, 14:55 (Ref:3705577)   #94
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Shame. The team made steps forward this year, and I thought that they were showing signs of progress towards the midfield.

A teams death in F1 is never clean, and I suspect we will continue to hear rumors of potential buyers in the coming weeks...

At least they outlasted Caterham and HRT.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 15:41 (Ref:3705585)   #95
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Shame. The team made steps forward this year, and I thought that they were showing signs of progress towards the midfield.

A teams death in F1 is never clean, and I suspect we will continue to hear rumors of potential buyers in the coming weeks...

At least they outlasted Caterham and HRT.
It is a shame but I always felt the writing was always on the wall for Manor.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 16:28 (Ref:3705597)   #96
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38772098

Gone. So that's all 4 new teams from 2010 gone within 7 years.
And all since the last 20 years, just Red Bull (Stewart) and Haas...
Old 27 Jan 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3705603)   #97
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The grid will be down a team in 2018 and I've not heard of a new team on the horizon.
Old 27 Jan 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3705641)   #98
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is sad, especially after such a good season, but predictable. I hope that the new f1 management will be able to do a little more to help in the future, or at least distribute the funds more evenly, it's not fair that manor came away from their season with nothing. Really I'd like to see 24 - 26 cars.
Old 28 Jan 2017, 07:52 (Ref:3705731)   #99
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The entry is held by another company not in administration, but there is no buyer with the current liabilities. Maybe the potential 'buyer' is waiting for it to become available minus the liabilities and then buy the remains from the receiver and then the entry from the company still in business?
Old 28 Jan 2017, 11:09 (Ref:3705754)   #100
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How Manor Sank

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House