Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:07 (Ref:842515)   #1
nippy
Racer

nippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of the Line for Coulthard

Well it appears that DC'S carrer in f1 will be at an end before long as the Monster(Montoya) will take over his seast at the McLaren helm and thus Coulthard being pushed on to pastures new. Toyota is a real possibility but manager Martin Brundle may have a little deal with Mr Jordan to get David in a Jordan for Principle sponsor B+H who need a strong british driver in the line up.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:18 (Ref:842529)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i dont think hes necessarily finished in f1. there are several scenarios for DC where he may get a seat though i think it may only be in the midfield.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:24 (Ref:842531)   #3
nippy
Racer

Yes but you and i both know a lack of wins has frustrated DC this year do you think he'l want to stay in f1 when his podiums dry up? I can't see it unless the Toyota move is a possibility as they will improve.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:29 (Ref:842534)   #4
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ove has said he would take Ralf over David.

It looks like midfield or nothing for DC after this season. He has had a long, mildly successful career. He will not change that in any way this term.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:39 (Ref:842542)   #5
nippy
Racer

Yes but Ove has very little say in the matter now i think it will be who is cheaper and do Toyota want to pay out RS'S williams contract or take DC On a free so to speak i dunno its going to be interesting but i still feel DC has a chance with toyota
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:44 (Ref:842547)   #6
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DC would benefit from a change of scene, he's got very comfortable at McLaren and IMO needs a new challenge.

The problem for DC is that his entire GP career has been in either a McLaren or William's, so any other team below their level, is going to be a huge culture shock.

However there is a distinction between a challenge and frustration. If he did secure a move to Toyota then it would be a team on the ascendancy, however if it were a team like Jaguar (for example) I guess DC and his management would have to view whether moving to a team without the resources, technical depth and budget that he has been used too, is worth staying in F1 for.

If we take the example of driver's who have 'left' top teams for 'lower' pastures new- Irvine,Fizzi and Jacques, there are plenty of race weekends of frustration in F1 life outside the top 4 teams.

Plus you have to argue that if DC could not achieve his goals ( assuming he is not 2004 WDC!!!) in either a Williams or McLaren, then doing so where he is likely to find a berth, is even more unlikely.

He would, however, make a great addition to say Jaguar, fit their PR profile, etc and be able to bring his Mclaren experience to the party, but whether the partnership would deliver enough for either to be truly happy with it is another question.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 18 Jan 2004 at 18:47.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:44 (Ref:842549)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf doesn't have a Williams contract for 2005, nor is he likely to get one if he doesn't drop his pay demands.

Plenty of other options may exist for DC - BAR if Button goes to Williams, Jaguar if Webber goes to Williams or Renault, and maybe Frank would consider him?

Under the rules discussed in the Zero Tolerance thread, I'm not sure this has far to go. Maybe one for the mods to close?
Old 18 Jan 2004, 18:51 (Ref:842555)   #8
nippy
Racer

Yea I wasn't sure whether ralf had a contract in 05 so thanx but i heared also recently that Ron asked Sir Frank if he could do a straight swap for Monty for 04
Old 18 Jan 2004, 19:46 (Ref:842602)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: End of the Line for Coulthard

Quote:
Originally posted by nippy
...B+H who need a strong british driver in the line up.
So that rules out DC then!
Old 18 Jan 2004, 20:01 (Ref:842618)   #10
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I too, thought Jaguar F1 would be a perfect home for DC, and who would benefit most from his professionalism and experience for a season or two.

Last edited by gfm; 18 Jan 2004 at 20:03.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 21:50 (Ref:842696)   #11
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, and they can benefit from his test driver experience and develop the car.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 22:57 (Ref:842778)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never been a fan of coulthud, but he is at least competant and I'm sure that there is always the possibility that he could make for a good #2 driver in one of the top 5 teams.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 23:17 (Ref:842800)   #13
nippy
Racer

you mean like he is now?? lol
Old 18 Jan 2004, 23:32 (Ref:842817)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC is second only to Schumacher in the active drivers wins list.
Old 18 Jan 2004, 23:45 (Ref:842825)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm with ST on this one. While I cant claim to be a fan of DC's, he still has alot to offer a team like Jaguar. I for one hope he replaces Webber there next year.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 04:26 (Ref:842931)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Yep,I guess he just take his Number 1 and go elsewhere,he shouldn't find it hard to get another driver as reigning 2004 WDC next season.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 09:09 (Ref:843063)   #17
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC would be a fantastic development driver for another team, especially Toyota or Jaguar.
Old 19 Jan 2004, 10:40 (Ref:843121)   #18
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by senna12
Ove has said he would take Ralf over David.
I wonder how Toyota feels about that?

How much $$$$$$$ do they have?

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 19 Jan 2004, 12:02 (Ref:843165)   #19
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well if you take current news from the Sites next year silly season will be a great one

RB & MS locked in
Mark is not going anywhere as Jag has fortolded
Button is in the same boat as BAR see it
jpm to go and be No2 to Kimmi
Ralf looks to Toyota and will go IMO
Williams won't pay the wage for DC so I think he'd End up at Jag and it would be a strong team with Mark & DC .
This may leave Willams with a top steerer (if you belive the news of late)

DC does fit Jag every well PR wise and he is quite the developer as well .
Weather Mark is there? well that another issue
Old 20 Jan 2004, 00:03 (Ref:843368)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does DC possibly get motivated for the up-coming season when he knows that he's done after its over?

IMHO, I've never seen such a stupid, unprofessional, bush-league, move by any pro sports team, in any sport, as McLaren has made here. They really put there 2004 season in jeapardy.

I hope DC proves them all wrong and kicks butt this season, and really throws a monkey wrench into this deal...

Danica Patrick
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:09 (Ref:843633)   #21
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You could argue that a driver 'looking for work' will try harder, not to please his current boss, but to impress his next one.....
Old 20 Jan 2004, 08:56 (Ref:843674)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I agree ST. Kind of funny really, but I expect to see David's best performance to date. No it wont be his year to win the championship, but I expect him to get as much attention as he can get to attract new employers.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:03 (Ref:843749)   #23
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There 's probably no better motivation than driving for a career.

Whether he wins the WDC or not in the end is not the issue, he has to make headlines and create news. Beating Kimi is probably the best way to go as Ferrari will still have the ultimate package.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 20 Jan 2004, 15:49 (Ref:844182)   #24
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Driving for a career (or, if nothing else, to leave a positive memory on the sport by putting in some great drives and helping your team win the titles) is surely better motivation than Michael has (he claims not to be interested in statistics or records, so surely having won so many races and titles the buzz has worn off somewhat). McLaren should support David for as long as he can challenge for the title, so if he starts 2004 on similar form to 2003, but has a bit of luck, he can do well.